Getting to Nakhon Ratchasima from Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)

Can anyone advise me on how to get to Nakhon Ratchasima from Europe? I see it has an airport (NAK) but I can't find options to get there with AMS as a starting point.

Would I be better off flying to BKK and taking overland transport?

What options are available for overland? I am on business travel so I need it to be quick, convenient and comfortable.

I'm also interested in the best hotel options in the EUR100 per night price range.

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:24 am

I don't think there's any commercial flights to RAK. Some LCCs to Buri Ram is the closest you'll get by air, but they'll be from DMK, not BKK.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titan
I think I would be tempted to get off the plane at BKK and catch a cab. It's about 3 hours and others may know the price. If your willing to pay 100 euros for a hotel, I'm sure you will find the cab fare quite reasonable. Just remember to poke your driver every now and then to make sure they're awake.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by jbjelloid
I think I would be tempted to get off the plane at BKK and catch a cab. It's about 3 hours and others may know the price. If your willing to pay 100 euros for a hotel, I'm sure you will find the cab fare quite reasonable. Just remember to poke your driver every now and then to make sure they're awake.
Furthermore, your hotel should be able to negotiate with the driver a flat rate up there. Just ask their concierge or front desk. You can likely find a regular BKK taxi to make the drive although not all drivers will be so willing to do this for very understandable reasons.

I've never gone up there myself so I have no idea what the costs would be.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am on business travel so I need it to be quick, convenient and comfortable.

Personally I would seek advice from the people you will be visiting. For business I am certain they would have the best recommendations re: transport from SBIA/BKK, local transport and local accommodations.

Be aware that Nakhon Ratchasima is also referred to as Korat, and is both a large-ish province and its associated provincial capital city.

It is more like a 4 1/2 - 5 hour drive from Bangkok (straight through, no stops, no traffic) and a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive from Khon Kaen (KKC) (which has daily air service).

The overland options include car, train, mini-van, bus. I would probably try to locate a local driver to meet me at BKK, drive me to Korat, and drive me around Korat and back to BKK.

I doubt you'll find a hotel room in Korat at the 100 EUR level.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
I would confirm that there are no commercial flight into/out of Nakhon Ratchasima (also known as Korat). Commercial flights ceased in the late 80s. Your only option is to fly AMS to BKK and then use land transport to get to Korat.

I would concur with Transpac and seek advice from the people you are visiting in Korat regarding transport and hotels.

Depending upon arrival time into BKK, you may wish to consider staying in BKK overnight and travelling by road the next day - a 4 to 5 hour road transport at night in Thailand is not really recommended.

There are about 40 hotels in Korat, most are in the 2 star range, hence Transpac's comment. That said, I'm sure most hotels will be only to happy to take 100 EUR from you

If you are travelling independently let me know via private message and I will be happy to give you some pointers.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bring your own water.

Drought in Northeast growing more severe

26 Jan 2016

Nakhon Ratchasima, 26 January 2016 (NNT) – The drought situation in the northeastern region has increased in severity with 10 districts of Nakhon Ratchasima now in dire need of water.

Authorities in Nakhon Ratchasima have had to send out 6 water trucks carrying over 36 thousand liters of water to aid residents affected by worsening drought conditions in the province. A total 10 districts have reported major impact from the situation with as many as 60 thousand households feeling the effects of the water shortage. Local administrators have exhausted 50 million baht in enacting measures such as water dispersion and canal dredging to alleviate the plight of residents.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:37 pm

There are no commercial flights to Korat. If there were I'd be taking them.

I stayed there overnight at the Dusit Princess Hotel which was nice enough and rates there are certainly a lot less than 100 Euro per night. (don't expect a high end hotel, it was ok, not great.)

I wish there were flights because it's not an easy drive, minimum 3.5 - 4 hours with no traffic. I've tried several different modes of driving there and the nicest one I had ran around 3,000 THB o/w for a company out of Korat. I've also done private vehicle, Bangkok Taxi for a r/t, etc. The road is ok, it's highway all the way, most of it is pretty good pavement, it's just long and tedious and there's often traffic.

Find a company that will pick you up at BKK and drive you there if you want to go directly from the airport, or overnight in Bangkok and leave early the next morning to beat the traffic to Korat. Since you're traveling on business you can probably afford a nicer vehicle. You might check with AOT to see what they charge and there are various other limo companies in Bangkok that people here have used that they might be able to recommend that will be just as nice as AOT but probably less expensive. You can also ask your hotel to see what they might come up with.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jan 27, 2016 at 11:48 pm
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: most of them
Lots of great advice here. I agree that checking with car services is a good idea. But for sure whoever you're doing business with or your hotel should be able to help you.

I stayed at the Princess as well...many years ago now. Lots of Nigerian businessmen staying there at the time for some reason. I remember the lobby being very nice. At the time it was the top end option.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:29 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
You could fly to Buriram and drive an hour back. But that might only be from DMK
Old Jan 28, 2016, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BFV, the airport in Buri Ram province is about 40 Km north of the provincial capital and ~ 2 1/2 hour drive from Nakhon Ratchsima (provincial capital). Nok Air and Thai Air Asia do have daily service for DMK-BFV.

Even the airport for Nakhon Ratchsima is a ways from the capital, although the RTAF base (old USAF Korat base) is in provincial capital.

Nakhon Ratchasima is almost too close to Bangkok for scheduled air service, the strip is shortish and the airport location leaves a lot to be desired.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:56 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Thanks, doc!

Indeed, it appears that I was wrong, once again. 2 hrs drive from Buriram airport.

Actually, Nakhon Ratchasima is a large province. Some parts may even be closer to Khon Kean Airport. We were assuming the O.P. Was referring to the city of 'Rassimma.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:28 pm

If price isn't a limitation, you could charter an aircraft.

http://flybudgetlines.com/

Last edited by glob99; Jan 29, 2016 at 9:37 pm
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If price isn't a limitation, you could charter an aircraft.

Where would you fly to?

I believe the airport at Nakhon Ratchsima is closed. Not sure if you could land at the RTAF field?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.