Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok with teenagers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If they're your own kids at 15 and 17, why not let them see a bit of the "adult" side for themselves when they're with you? Let them see the old guys walking down the street with young girls and hopefully be disgusted. Perhaps point out the likely exchanges of money and favors. I'm not suggesting that you take them into bars with "action", but I wouldn't go to extremes to prevent them from being aware of certain aspects of the city. If you've raised them right, exposure to Bangkok isn't going to change their values and behavior.
They are both quite young for their age and not very street wise as we live in a rural area so leting them go oUt on theit own wold be difficult. I am more concerned with walking past things with their middle eged parents as rhey get embarassed discussing sex drugs etc. But from the sound of it it is easy to avoid the dodgier areas which is nit what my colleague had said.

The more I read the more I think I'd like to do more of Thailand but we are fitting it in at the end of a holiday taking in Malaysia and possibly Singapore (although I might now ditch singapore to do longer in Thailand). We have just under 4 weeks to fit in with my work commitments so I was thinking 4 days in Singapore (incl recovering from journey) then 4 in KL, up to Penang for 3 days Georgetown and a week on the beach and then on the train to Bangkok which with a day each way travelling just about does 24 days which is about what we have.

Last edited by HelloKittysMum; Oct 22, 2015 at 1:43 am
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Bangkok is a wonderful place. My two are 15 and 18 and have seen the seedy side with the old foreigner with the young girl and although they don't like it they know and accept that in countries like this it happens. If you position yourself accordingly (location) there typically is no problem and even less seemingly bad sights that will be seen.

As an example if you base yourself on the river you are far enough away from the seedy side but close to the temples and entertainment places such as Asiatique which the kids will really enjoy.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
To the OP, no judgement, and I noticed there may be less specific info posted thus far on what and where to avoid. Here is some detailed info for you to help avoid uncomfortable scenes. As others have said, nightlife activities are well-isolated location-wise.

Pull up google maps to visualize.

1) Search for "JW Marriott Bangkok". Avoid the stretch of Sukhumvit Road from the JW Marriott, stretching east to the Asoke junction, from 6pm onwards. This is BTS stations: Phloenchit, Nana, and Asoke. Reason: streetwalkers on both sides, redlight district at Nana and Soi Cowboy near Asoke, and a general Mos Eisley environment come nightfall.

2) Search for "Saladaeng BTS". This is Silom Road. Avoid stretch heading west at nightfall until the Bangkok Bank about 2 blocks west. Reason: although Silom Road itself is mild compared to Sukhumvit, side streets ("soi") like Patpong is a redlight area and the opposite side streets have many gay bars. Daytime is fine, many foreign companies have offices here.

3) Totally avoid the Ratchada area. Not likely you'll go there but just in case. This is 3 MRT stations: Thailand Cultural Center, Hway Kwang and Sutthisan. Reason: multiple overt and large outdoor massage parlor billboards that leave little to imagination.

Rest of Bangkok should be OK. I recommend Muang Boran or the Ancient City. Great fun for the entire family. Oh, and whatever you do, don't go to Pattaya.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by tide

1) Search for "JW Marriott Bangkok". Avoid the stretch of Sukhumvit Road from the JW Marriott, stretching east to the Asoke junction, from 6pm onwards. This is BTS stations: Phloenchit, Nana, and Asoke. Reason: streetwalkers on both sides, redlight district at Nana and Soi Cowboy near Asoke, and a general Mos Eisley environment come nightfall.
Between sois 3-7 (north side of Suk) the girls and, ahem, 'girls', are out all hours of the day especially in front of the Starbucks/McD's. It's rather odd how they stand at the busstop but never get on the bus.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
They are both quite young for their age and not very street wise as we live in a rural area so leting them go oUt on theit own wold be difficult. I am more concerned with walking past things with their middle eged parents as rhey get embarassed discussing sex drugs etc. But from the sound of it it is easy to avoid the dodgier areas which is nit what my colleague had said.

The more I read the more I think I'd like to do more of Thailand but we are fitting it in at the end of a holiday taking in Malaysia and possibly Singapore (although I might now ditch singapore to do longer in Thailand). We have just under 4 weeks to fit in with my work commitments so I was thinking 4 days in Singapore (incl recovering from journey) then 4 in KL, up to Penang for 3 days Georgetown and a week on the beach and then on the train to Bangkok which with a day each way travelling just about does 24 days which is about what we have.
I wasn't suggesting that you turn them loose, but I was trying to suggest that perhaps you should let them see some of the tamer stuff (like the young local women with old foreign guys) themselves so that they conclude that it's disgusting. Maybe it would be good to help them get over their embarrassment about opening discussing sex, drugs, etc. Thailand could work as a sort of icebreaker for them if the parents are willing.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
You could also point out the cart that sells fried bugs at peak hour on the sidewalk in front of Nana Plaza. The Isaan girls and maybe some of the ladyboys are customers (offer to buy one a bag if they'll eat a few for you!). Thais always had such a big advantage in later rounds of the old TV show "Fear Factor" because of this.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by RustyC
You could also point out the cart that sells fried bugs at peak hour on the sidewalk in front of Nana Plaza. The Isaan girls and maybe some of the ladyboys are customers (offer to buy one a bag if they'll eat a few for you!).
Ah yes; the ladyboy dilemma. Mum will have to be creative to achieve a narrative to square that particular circle. Perhaps something along the lines of "I promise you dear children, they really are blokes..."

I think your traveling party will be fine unless you stumble upon a nightlife district and choose to linger on. Even then I venture to say you will not turn into pillars of salt. But if you truly find the prospect of a May/December sighting so abhorrent I would suggest you also avoid the following coupling hot beds: restaurants, shopping malls, hotel lobbies, night markets, and {gasp} even the airports.

And long as we are in full disclosure mode: most Thai ladies wear a padded brassiere (might be of interest to your son) and if you see a blonde Thai lady it is likely a die job (might be of interest to your daughter.)

SL
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Bangkok is an amazing city and there's a Bangkok for everyone - if that means looking for the seedy things, they're here too. And while there's specific "entertainment" areas in the city, you won't see anything vulgar unless you go into those areas. And seriously, the worst that happens is they witness something "seedy" and that would simply be a lesson in poor life-choices at an impressionable time... maybe reinvigorate them to stay in school.

That said, there's more amazing things to do in and around BKK with teenagers than you can imagine (non-seedy things).

Why would you take a train from Malaysia? Look at the airfares on AirAsia and Nok Air which can be super cheap and save you 17 hours.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:42 am

They are both quite young for their age
I am shocked, just shocked to hear this.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
You could also point out the cart that sells fried bugs at peak hour on the sidewalk in front of Nana Plaza. The Isaan girls and maybe some of the ladyboys are customers (offer to buy one a bag if they'll eat a few for you!). Thais always had such a big advantage in later rounds of the old TV show "Fear Factor" because of this.
Great idea, even at my age this would still be hilarious to me. Maybe a cricket but those giant waterbugs are just too much.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:07 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
May want to check out the family trip in my signature.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
They are both quite young for their age
I am shocked, just shocked to hear this.
Why are you shocked. By quite young I mean they aren't into drink or drugs or sex and are just nice kids and I would rather that than alternatives. My son is 17, doesn't go out drinking or doing drugs as many of his age are (several boys in his year have been expelled from school when 15 and others were asked not to come back to sixth form). My daughter is 15 next month and while she wears make up and fashion able clothes she dresses far more modestly (her choice) than many her age. They like to spend time with us and have quite mature taste in terms of what we do on holiday (they like art galleries, museums etc).
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tide
To the OP, no judgement, and I noticed there may be less specific info posted thus far on what and where to avoid. Here is some detailed info for you to help avoid uncomfortable scenes. As others have said, nightlife activities are well-isolated location-wise.

Pull up google maps to visualize.

2) Search for "Saladaeng BTS". This is Silom Road. Avoid stretch heading west at nightfall until the Bangkok Bank about 2 blocks west. Reason: although Silom Road itself is mild compared to Sukhumvit, side streets ("soi") like Patpong is a redlight area and the opposite side streets have many gay bars. Daytime is fine, many foreign companies have offices here.

3) Totally avoid the Ratchada area. Not likely you'll go there but just in case. This is 3 MRT stations: Thailand Cultural Center, Hway Kwang and Sutthisan. Reason: multiple overt and large outdoor massage parlor billboards that leave little to imagination.

Rest of Bangkok should be OK. I recommend Muang Boran or the Ancient City. Great fun for the entire family. Oh, and whatever you do, don't go to Pattaya.
This is really helpful and the sort of thing I was hoping for. It seems like if we know which the more colourful areas are we can avoid them (more than once when I was a child / teenager we've taken a wrong turn and ended up in red light district in Amsterdam (cue my 7 year old brother asking why that lady had no clothes on), a dangerous gang area of Johannesburg after dark and the Bronx in the early 90s when my now husband and I first went to New York).
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SunLover
You could also point out the cart that sells fried bugs at peak hour on the sidewalk in front of Nana Plaza. The Isaan girls and maybe some of the ladyboys are customers (offer to buy one a bag if they'll eat a few for you!).
Ah yes; the ladyboy dilemma. Mum will have to be creative to achieve a narrative to square that particular circle. Perhaps something along the lines of "I promise you dear children, they really are blokes..."

I think your traveling party will be fine unless you stumble upon a nightlife district and choose to linger on. Even then I venture to say you will not turn into pillars of salt. But if you truly find the prospect of a May/December sighting so abhorrent I would suggest you also avoid the following coupling hot beds: restaurants, shopping malls, hotel lobbies, night markets, and {gasp} even the airports.

And long as we are in full disclosure mode: most Thai ladies wear a padded brassiere (might be of interest to your son) and if you see a blonde Thai lady it is likely a die job (might be of interest to your daughter.)

SL
It's not the May / December that is the issue (there is a few years age gap between my husband and me) but the what look like underage girls with men old enough to be their grandfather that is uncomfortable (I go to Vietnam on business and see them in the hotels and find it distasteful).
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks to a greater or lesser extent for the advice. I think we will do the bangkok add on (and yes I know air Asia is cheap and quick but it's soleless and the train will have character -I've done trains in Sri Lanka and loved the experience).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.