Search

Thailand - First time visit!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:48 pm
formerly Christopher Sutton
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thailand - First time visit!

Hi all, my partner and I are looked by to travel to Thailand for a two week holiday next early March. Naturally we want to spend 3 or 4 nights in Bangkok but have received mixed itineraries for the time after. One agent has recommended 4 nights in Chaing Mai followed by 6 nights in Phuket, the other has proposed Ko Yao for 4 nights followed by Phuket. Interestingly both have recommended Karon Beach. We like to see things and to eat out but we also want to relax and I'm also keen to see some stunning beaches though appreciate you can easily do day trips from Phuket. Any advice would gratefully received.
Thanks, Chris
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
A lot just depends on your interests.

For beautiful beaches, then the southern area is probably your best bet. I have heard great things about Krabi over Phuket, but haven't personally been to either one to give you a recommendation.

What types of things are you interested in seeing? Cultural sites, mountain trekking, shopping, temples, wildlife, night life, etc?

It also depends on your appetite for packing and internal travels. I tend to prefer staying put and not worrying about packing / timetables / flights and such but others get restless and like to move about. For a two week trip, I would tend to stay one week in Bangkok and choose one other spot (North for mountains, culture, trekking or South for beaches and resort living) for the other week.

Lastly, are you doing $ or miles / points for things? That will also make a difference in how to approach the planning.

While it is fun to plan and think about possibilities, rest assured that Thailand will not disappoint and you will want to return...
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:39 am
Suspended

Thailand will elicit as many different responses as there are fabulous places to visit.
So here's my 2c worth.
Bangkok is one of the great cities of the world - you'll have a blast.
Personally I would avoid Phuket like the plague.You know exactly what you're in for before you go and if that's your thing then fine but frankly you could be anywhere in the world drinking that Starbucks and staying in that Hilton.
As an island I much preferred a couple of places such as Koh Pi Pi and Koh Lanta. Yes they're still touristy but much less so than Phuket.
Koh Lanta in particular was outstanding with friendly people and good food.
We stayed here while our kids learned to dive.
www.lantacastaway.com
Reasonable rates and recommended.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:47 pm

OP: Make sure you have realistic expectations.

The thing with Phuket is that is really commercialized.
Choose your tours wisely and balance around what you can afford. Understand that cheaper tours will likely pack you in like sardines in a bus or boat.

I did a tour of Koh Phi Phi and it was beautiful even though it was chalk full of tourists. If I had to do it again, I'd probably try to find a way to get there earlier to beat the heavier crowds.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: aa
We really like Koh Chang. It's on the East side of the gulf. There isn't a whole lot going on there, which we really liked.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I really liked Koh Lanta, spent two weeks there earlier this year. Built up enough to have good variety in restaurants and hotels, several stunning beaches, Old Town. Not too commercialized.

I can't compare to Phuket (haven't been) but I liked it far more than Koh Samui and Koh Phagnan.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I'll keep it simple: In Phuket skip Patong, go for Surin beach eat at Black Cat ^
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Madone59
I'll keep it simple: In Phuket skip Patong, go for Surin beach eat at Black Cat ^
With transportation there's lots of decent local places that can easily reached from Surin. Finding them for a first time visitor is unlikely however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.