Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Bomb blast near Erawan 17 Aug 2015 (merged threads)

Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
For those qualified to post in Omni and Omni/PR (180 days on FT and 180 posts), political conversations on this tragedy can occur in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-pr/1703225-deadly-bombing-bangkok.html

Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Explosion at Erawan Shrine in Central Bangkok
Embassy of the United States of America in Bangkok
August 17, 2015
http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/mobile//081715_emergency_message.html

This message is to inform U.S. citizens in Thailand that according to local law enforcement, an explosion took place at approximately 7:00 pm August 17, at the Rachaprasong intersection in the central commercial district of Bangkok (near the Erawan Shrine, Central World mall, and overhead bisection of the two Skytrain lines). Media outlets are reporting multiple casualties. Local law enforcement and emergency services are responding and U.S. Embassy personnel are liaising closely with local authorities to gather information. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the area and monitor local media for updates.
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Bomb blast near Erawan 17 Aug 2015 (merged threads)

Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At the risk of asking a dumb question, why do Chinese tourists in particular tend to congregate at this place in Bangkok? Is there some cultural connection that I'm missing here?
For good fortune, particularly financial/business. The 4-faced deity at Erawan (actually Hindu here I believe) represents ability to figuratively see in all directions. Attracts those of Chinese descent e.g. Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, HK, not only China.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by MarcoGT
I think in BKK there are more famous/crowded places full of tourists...let's see.

Well...it is however hard then to avoid "crowded places" as we are anyway heading to BKK/Thailand for our first time...
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I didn't mean crowded tourist places. I meant that if they attached the most famous Buddhist shrine in Thailand, and they intended to do harm to Buddhists, or perhaps Chinese Buddhists as the case may be, then maybe avoid large Buddhist shrines.

That said, I personally would not avoid Erawan at all. It is a world heritage treasure IMHO.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
But targeting domestic, Asian, or, specifically, Chinese tourists would make Erawan a perfect target.
Exactly.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:13 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Slightly off topic. Some people say the area along Ploenchit/Chidlom has a lot of bad spirits/energy. If you walk along the street, you'll notice each business has a place a worship; The IC Hotel, Renaissance, Amarin Plaza, Erawan Hotel, etc. The junction where this bomb went off happens to be the strongest.

Having said that, tourism to BKK will probably take a small hit. Time and time again, BKK has always bounced back from these unfortunate events. That's why some say BKK/Thailand is like Teflon.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:36 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by dtsm
Totally agree, everything reported at this point is pure speculation, including what my inside sources are telling me.

For those who use twitter, one reliable on-the-ground source is #richardbarrow. A freelancer but formerly with CNN, is solid and tries to report only 'facts'.... POV
Richard Barrow is great, but unless I missed something in the past 7-8 years, he is neither a freelancer nor formerly with CNN. He teaches at a school in Samut Prakan and blogs out of the goodness of his heart and maybe some ad revenue.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Richard Barrow is great, but.....he is neither a freelancer nor formerly with CNN. He teaches at a school in Samut Prakan
You are probably right. I recall reading somewhere re CNN affiliation during the last coup but not 100% sure. My bad
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
The Erawin Shrine is a major Buddhist site. A lot of Chinese Buddhists visit and worship there, hence you see all the incense burning, chanting, donation for dancers to perform to gain merit, etc.
The Erawan shrine is certainly not a major Buddhist site. It's just a shrine, albeit one that has some renown among businessmen seeking favors of fortune. There are no monks there, no sacred relics, it's not sacred ground, nor even Buddhist in fact.

Almost every big business or building (e.g. even such as apartment complexes) has a shrine outside.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tide
The Erawan shrine is certainly not a major Buddhist site. It's just a shrine, albeit one that has some renown among businessmen seeking favors of fortune.
Businesswomen too. In fact mostly. But you are right that we shouldn't assume that we are experts in eastern religion and assign a religion to a shrine. Even though I see mostly Buddhists there, I've also seen a Hindu wedding ceremony just outside the gates. And I know that Erawan is regarded by many Buddhists as a rather important shrine.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:07 pm

The Erawan shrine is certainly not a major Buddhist site. It's just a shrine, albeit one that has some renown among businessmen seeking favors of fortune. There are no monks there, no sacred relics, it's not sacred ground, nor even Buddhist in fact.

Almost every big business or building (e.g. even such as apartment complexes) has a shrine outside.
Thanks for this... I had meant to say Buddhist shrine, not Buddhist site. It's always busy with tourists and locals seeking merit, so it is important at least to that demographic.

In any case, no need to get oneself into a tizzy over how to properly categorize this place. Let's hope for quick recovery of those injured.

Last edited by sfvoyage; Aug 17, 2015 at 3:19 pm
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
N.Y. Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/18/wo...sion.html?_r=0

Winai Petploy, a rescue worker who carried away the remains of the dead, said authorities discovered two unexploded bombs inside the Erawan Shrine after he had arrived. The bombs were in small travel bags, he said.
If so, certainly points to terrorist intent.

I survived a truck bombing at a hotel (used as an NCO billet) where an airline bag left on the sidewalk was basically a Claymore timed to sweep responders and those assisting injured. (Metropole Hotel, Saigon, Vietnam, 4 December 1965.)

But at this point nobody / no group has claimed responsibility and many statements are confused.

BTW, Erawan is dedicated to Phra Phrom, a representation of Brahma, therefore is Hindu, no? Built at the time of the old Erawan hotel, replaced by the Grand Hyatt Erawan. But visited by many others, including Buddhists and just visitors. The location may have been chosen mainly for the crowd aspect.

Good summary at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erawan_Shrine

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 18, 2015 at 10:09 pm
Old Aug 17, 2015, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
And I know that Erawan is regarded by many Buddhists as a rather important shrine.
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
In any case, no need to get oneself into a tizzy over how to properly categorize this place. Let's hope for quick recovery of those injured.
Both of you are right.

Such a senseless crime. Many of us must've walked past or stopped by more times than we can remember - could've been any of us there.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:37 pm

Such a senseless crime. Many of us must've walked past or stopped by more times than we can remember - could've been any of us there.
True words. Sympathy with all the families.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gemini573
Slightly off topic. Some people say the area along Ploenchit/Chidlom has a lot of bad spirits/energy. If you walk along the street, you'll notice each business has a place a worship; The IC Hotel, Renaissance, Amarin Plaza, Erawan Hotel, etc. The junction where this bomb went off happens to be the strongest.

Having said that, tourism to BKK will probably take a small hit. Time and time again, BKK has always bounced back from these unfortunate events. That's why some say BKK/Thailand is like Teflon.
These are actually "spirit houses", and the Erawan Shrine is basically a very large spirit house, although it has evolved into a commercial enterprise, probably as a result of its location. Most houses, apartment buildings, businesses have a spirit house. I think there are at least three at Suvarnabhumi airport.

I wouldn't classify Erawan Shrine as a Buddhist or Hindu "shrine". It may have been targeted for the location (major intersection, lots of tourists, day after the Bike for Mom event, proximity to RTP HQ, location of some of the 2010 'crackdown'). There are a lot more people at this shrine during the day; when I walked overhead on Sunday the shrine was packed, with more people on the overhead walkway (from Chit Lom BTS to Central World, all the way to Siam BTS) filming the site. Last evening I was ~ 1 Km away walking home but did not hear anything, other than thunder. Wasn't aware of the incident until I got home and looked at my phone.

Obviously there have been an unending series of similar bombings in Thailand's four restive southern provinces. There have been some incidents outside of that region recently with two small bombs at Siam Paragon (shopping mall - Feb. 2015) and a larger device at a Mall on Koh Samui (April. 2015) which remain "unsolved".

I'm certain the Military Junta and Royal Thai Police will get to the bottom of this, even if it means stitching up pesky Burmese or mysterious 'Men in Black'. To quote RTP chief Samyot, "Bomb intended to kill", nothing gets by this chap.

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/081715_...y_message.html

Last edited by transpac; Aug 17, 2015 at 7:55 pm
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
The top video of the link is an interesting view of the blast. I'm guessing it's taken from ~200m east of the explosion, in front of Amarin, based upon the escalator to the left and the crosswalk in front which likely goes into Erawan Mall.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/71...kok-bomb-blast

It's a good thing that blast wasn't focused or this could have been much worse.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
CNN is saying at least 22 dead, including three Chinese nationals, one Thai, and one person from the Philippines. There are also at least 120 injured, scattered over many hoospitals, so it's jard to get exact numbers. CNN also says it was timed (around 7 pm local time) to do the most damage, with hurting tourism being harmful to the economy. There's apparently at least a rumor that some news agency got a warning call. Police also say that they got a nonspecific warning with no time or place. It seems to have been a pipe bomb wrapped in some white cotton.

CNN also says that police are looking for one specific man in association with the bomb, but there are no further details of his nationality, etc. He was seen on a security camera.

Police are said to be searching other tourist areas. Initially reports said that there had been two further bombs found at Erawan, but this seems to be incorrect.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 17, 2015 at 10:07 pm Reason: update number, add material from expanded CNN coverage

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.