Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Bomb blast near Erawan 17 Aug 2015 (merged threads)

Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
For those qualified to post in Omni and Omni/PR (180 days on FT and 180 posts), political conversations on this tragedy can occur in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-pr/1703225-deadly-bombing-bangkok.html

Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Explosion at Erawan Shrine in Central Bangkok
Embassy of the United States of America in Bangkok
August 17, 2015
http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/mobile//081715_emergency_message.html

This message is to inform U.S. citizens in Thailand that according to local law enforcement, an explosion took place at approximately 7:00 pm August 17, at the Rachaprasong intersection in the central commercial district of Bangkok (near the Erawan Shrine, Central World mall, and overhead bisection of the two Skytrain lines). Media outlets are reporting multiple casualties. Local law enforcement and emergency services are responding and U.S. Embassy personnel are liaising closely with local authorities to gather information. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the area and monitor local media for updates.
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Bomb blast near Erawan 17 Aug 2015 (merged threads)

Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes lots of speculation on Sky too. First they theorized that it was southern Muslims attacking the "Hindu" shrine, then someone must have told them it was a Buddhist shrine as they changed the story. That's what you get when commentators have to keep talking on and on.
I've also heard retribution for Thailand repatriating Uighers to China. After all I'm guessing the preponderance of injured/dead will be Chinese.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:36 am

Yes lots of speculation on Sky too.
My local sources are saying Red Shirts and Thaksin are the culprits -- at this point, that too is pure speculation
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtsm
My local sources are saying Red Shirts and Thaksin are the culprits -- at this point, that too is pure speculation
I would discount the veracity of your sources in the future.

Edit: And I say that as no fan of either.

Last edited by dsquared37; Aug 17, 2015 at 9:44 am
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by britishcanuck
I was just coming here to post this. This is horrible. I am supposed to be there in about three weeks.
My wife and I are heading to BKK in 3 weeks too...
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by MarcoGT
My wife and I are heading to BKK in 3 weeks too...
If it is determined that the reason for this attack is X group versus Y group, then you should be ok and just avoid major places where these groups congregate. Such as Erawan. However if it is determined that this is attack directly on tourists, then that's another thing altogether. But from what I've seen I would discount an attack on western tourists. They probably would not have chosen Erawan in that case. All IMHO of course.

The foolish and rampant speculation on TV has already claimed that this is an attack on tourism in Thailand.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dsquared37
That's been occurring for some time now.
Didn't know that. Was a bit surprising for us not used to that kind of security.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:03 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aventine
Didn't know that. Was a bit surprising for us not used to that kind of security.
I've seen that sort of security off and on the entire time I've traveled to Thailand. My first time there, in fact, I recall a few checkpoints where security forces were looking under every car for bombs before allowing them past.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:23 am

The foolish and rampant speculation on TV has already claimed that this is an attack on tourism in Thailand.
Totally agree, everything reported at this point is pure speculation, including what my inside sources are telling me.

For those who use twitter, one reliable on-the-ground source is #richardbarrow. A freelancer but formerly with CNN, is solid and tries to report only 'facts'.... POV
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Gold . Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum.
Originally Posted by dtsm
Totally agree, everything reported at this point is pure speculation, including what my inside sources are telling me.

For those who use twitter, one reliable on-the-ground source is #richardbarrow. A freelancer but formerly with CNN, is solid and tries to report only 'facts'.... POV

I second the twitter recommendation. @RichardBarrow is factual and doesnt speculate . He has been excellent today.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The US State Dept has weighed in. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/081715_...y_message.html

And the US embassy in Bangkok is live tweeting @ACSBKK
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
If it is determined that the reason for this attack is X group versus Y group, then you should be ok and just avoid major places where these groups congregate. Such as Erawan. However if it is determined that this is attack directly on tourists, then that's another thing altogether. But from what I've seen I would discount an attack on western tourists. They probably would not have chosen Erawan in that case. All IMHO of course.

I think in BKK there are more famous/crowded places full of tourists...let's see.

Well...it is however hard then to avoid "crowded places" as we are anyway heading to BKK/Thailand for our first time...
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At the risk of asking a dumb question, why do Chinese tourists in particular tend to congregate at this place in Bangkok? Is there some cultural connection that I'm missing here?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...But from what I've seen I would discount an attack on western tourists. They probably would not have chosen Erawan in that case. All IMHO of course.
But targeting domestic, Asian, or, specifically, Chinese tourists would make Erawan a perfect target.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At the risk of asking a dumb question, why do Chinese tourists in particular tend to congregate at this place in Bangkok? Is there some cultural connection that I'm missing here?
The Erawin Shrine is a major Buddhist site. A lot of Chinese Buddhists visit and worship there, hence you see all the incense burning, chanting, donation for dancers to perform to gain merit, etc.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM (*G)
German TV now speaking of 27 dead, more than 80 wounded.

And for myself, scheduled to arrive this Saturday .

F.R.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.