Wiki Posts
Search

Renting Avis car in Thailand - insurance question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Renting Avis car in Thailand - insurance question

I reserved a car rental through Avis to rent in Koh Samui, Thailand (USM). The rental receipt shows that CDW and Theft Protection are included. However, Liability Insurance shows as Not Available. I called Avis USA twice to ask if liability insurance is included. Both times I was told that they do not have that information and would need to ask at the rental counter when picking up the car. I want to know in advance how liability coverage is included, if any. I emailed [email protected] 2-days ago with that question and have not received a reply.

Does anyone know if liability coverage is automatically included with the rental. If so, how much? If not, how much does it cost?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
I have never seen it included or available on any of my rentals. May be because of my Wizard profile. Then again this is Thailand. Who will sue you and hold you liable for anything ? In what court ? Administered by what government ?

Public / Third party liability is useful in places like USA and Australia but a lack of it in Thailand shouldn't worry you too much.

Edit:

I checked with Hertz to offer you another data point and on Hertz it shows that they include some lightweight Liability Insurance:

Liability Protection

Rates include Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance:

Limited liability for Bodily injury BHT 50,000

Loss of life, dismemberment, permanent disability BHT 100,000

Drivers and Passengers

Liability Bodily injury BHT 15,000

loss of Life BHT 35,000

Do a dummy booking on Avis.com without logging in and see if you can find similar stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.