Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Any issues at immigration for Vietnamese wife?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Probably nothing in this at all but i know Vietnamese can enter Thailand without a Visa, so i thought great easy as for our honeymoon. Then today somebody mentioned about immigration maybe giving us grief about why she would be with me and coming to Thailand (along the lines of human trafficking).
I am on the side of we will have zero issues entering for a weeks honeymoon together as i will have the required funds to support us if they so ask.

Do any of the other learned Thai forum lurkers agree with my sentiment or do you think there are the possibility for any issues??
Old Jun 22, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA/AA
As long as her passport is up to date and you bring a copy of your marriage documents along with you it should not be an issue.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Paiteaw
As long as her passport is up to date and you bring a copy of your marriage documents along with you it should not be an issue.
Not sure you'll need marriage docs but I guess it won't hurt.

Thai Immigration is notorious for stopping Thai women on the way out of Thailand and quizzing them as to why. They did that with my wife regularly until I guess she got too old for them to be suspicious.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you marriage documents in English? Thai?

Is her Vietnamese passport in her maiden name? Married name?

Who is this "somebody" who mentioned potential grief? Reliable, experienced, reputable?

Can you look on some ex-pat forums? Thaivisa is one - not sure if there are similar forums in Vietnam; I did a quick scan. Seems like there are more issues leaving the native country, but then in those situations they never even make it to Thailand so hard to say what might happen at arriving Thai Immigration.

I think that if you can get out of Vietnam - that is to say that the Vietnamese Immigration authorities do not believe you are removing a citizen under duress - then you'll be fine arriving in Thailand. She does not need a visa; I think she'll get stamped in for 30 days. I'd have on-ward travel details handy.

I assume that you have the requisite documentation? (visa or passport which allows a tourist visa exemption).
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
Are you marriage documents in English? Thai?

Is her Vietnamese passport in her maiden name? Married name?

Who is this "somebody" who mentioned potential grief? Reliable, experienced, reputable?

Can you look on some ex-pat forums? Thaivisa is one - not sure if there are similar forums in Vietnam; I did a quick scan. Seems like there are more issues leaving the native country, but then in those situations they never even make it to Thailand so hard to say what might happen at arriving Thai Immigration.

I think that if you can get out of Vietnam - that is to say that the Vietnamese Immigration authorities do not believe you are removing a citizen under duress - then you'll be fine arriving in Thailand. She does not need a visa; I think she'll get stamped in for 30 days. I'd have on-ward travel details handy.

I assume that you have the requisite documentation? (visa or passport which allows a tourist visa exemption).
The advice came from her cousin who i work with here in Australia, it is the first i had heard of anything like that and to be honest it never even crossed my mind. She has an up to date passport, our wedding papers are unavailable but we do have all the photos of us together with her family and photos from the wedding and also currently paperwork lodged for an Australian Partner Visa with associated emails etc.
We will have return tickets back to SGN and onward tickets to CXR for the same day upon our return. We are only staying for 6 nights.
Thanks for the help all, i think we will be okay but just wanted to run it by the experienced folk here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.