Wiki Posts
Search

MERS in Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:33 am
Original Poster

MERS in Thailand

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/18/health/thailand-mers/

Anyone changing their travel plans due to MERS?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might not go to Bumrungrad today.

The Dengue fever season is also in full swing; seems worse this year.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30262701.html

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30262738.html

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...t-risk-of-mers
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Beware sensationalist media hype...

From the US embassy's announcement (which I really have no idea why I receive):

"Please be aware there may be misguided media reports regarding the current MERS risk. A good source of reliable information about this disease is the CDC MERS website from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control. The World Health Organization also provides advice in English on MERS (WHO MERS Fact Sheet.)"

And from the WHO MERS Fact Sheet:

"The virus does not seem to pass easily from person to person unless there is close contact, such as occurs when providing unprotected care to a patient"

Probably some good deals in Seoul right now. The only place I would avoid travelling this year is the Hajj.

Last edited by DirtyDan; Jun 21, 2015 at 6:56 pm
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the Warden Message from the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok...

Message for U.S. Citizens: Information on the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS)

June 20, 2015

The U.S. Mission Thailand is monitoring the current Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) outbreak in the Republic of South Korea and any related incidents in our region. This notice provides current recommendations.

In South Korea, there are no signs of sustained community-acquired infection. Confirmed cases of transmission have been linked to hospitals. As a result, hospitals in South Korea have increased their surveillance and modified their approach to dealing with patients who exhibit symptoms.

The Thai Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) reported on June 18 the first case of MERS in the Kingdom of Thailand. They are monitoring individuals with possible exposure to that confirmed case and any others that may emerge. Travellers can expect increased passenger screening measures at international airports, particularly for flights from Middle Eastern countries.

Please be aware there may be misguided media reports regarding the current MERS risk. A good source of reliable information about this disease is the CDC MERS website from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control. The World Health Organization also provides advice in English on MERS (WHO MERS Fact Sheet.)

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/062015_..._citizens.html

There will be many people traveling from Thailand to Makkah for the Hajj (end Sep.) - they lay on many charter flights - so the risk might increase in October?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm here now.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:25 pm

Samitivej is all about MERS precautions...

Had to pop through Samitivej Sukhumvit last night for an appointment and they had precautions in place including: everybody given a temp scan when entering (I got a green sticker for my shirt which proved I did not have a fever) and offered a mask to wear. I'd say 4/5 staff members were masked up.

Nice to see some precautions.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isolated parking at Don Mueang for flights from South Korea provided as precaution

BANGKOK 25 June 2015 (NNT) – No additional MERS cases have been found in Thailand, says the Ministry of Public Health.

Deputy Minister of Public Health Somsak Chunharas and ministry executives inspected the contagious disease screening point at Don Mueang Airport on Wednesday to determine the airport's preparedness in preventing a spread of MERS.

According to the Minister, an average of around 30,000 travelers depart to and arrive from South Korea through Don Mueang Airport each month, 70% of them are Thai and the rest South Koreans. As a precaution, airport authorities have arranged a separate parking spot for aircraft used for such flights. Screening has also been carried out on travelers, and a 14-day monitoring period has been implemented. No suspicious cases have been found among the travelers so far.

Meanwhile, Department of Disease Control Director-General Sopon Mekthon said the ministry has issued an additional announcement on the pocrdure for those returning from areas of outbreak who find themselves with fever, as well as those who have been in close contact with such persons. The announcement was aimed at facilitating clear working guidelines and at allowing efficient control of the disease. Dr. Sopon also disclosed that the condition of the MERS patient from Oman, the first and only case in Thailand so far, has been improving steadily. All three persons put under monitoring for having been in close contact with the patient have not been diagnosed with the virus.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/CenterWeb/...C5806250010003
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MERS - 'Suspects' face fines if they don't cooperate

June 25, 2015

PEOPLE SUSPECTED of contracting Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) who refuse to be quarantined face fines of up to Bt2,000, Department of Disease Control (DDC) chief Dr Sopon Mekthon warned yesterday.

In future measures to be imposed soon, people who live in areas where MERS has been reported who have been told by local health authorities to clean or sanitise their homes will be fined Bt2,000 if they fail to comply, he said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30263054.html
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

British holidaymaker quarantined in Thailand after sitting behind someone on a plane who had deadly MERS virus

A British woman has been quarantined in Thailand after sitting behind someone on a plane who was carrying a deadly virus.

Kerry Sue Newman flew to southeast Asia earlier this month but is now being kept in a solitary hospital room in the seaside district of Hua Hin for two weeks, some 6,000 miles from home.

Miss Newman, 30, was told by Thai authorities she had to be quarantined and was transported by ambulance from the Por Promin Muay camp she was staying at to the hospital.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ERS-virus.html
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:38 am

Crappy way to spend your holiday! Of course... dailymail is blocked here in LoS.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DirtyDan
Of course... dailymail is blocked here in LoS.
Not blocked for me as of today - obviously I found it, read it, posted it - on 3BB FTTX (a Thai ISP), or DTAC (4G/LTE) - not currently using a VPN. I think it may have been blocked in the past. Maybe your ISP is using an old MICT (Ministry of Internet Censorship in Thailand) list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.