Favorite Bangkok Bars

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Bangkok Bars

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I've seen this "Cheers" brand in 7/11s; I thought it was some gimmick beer. Now I see it portends to be the "lao khao" of local beers, sounds positively ghastly, but I have not yet tried it. I've never seen it served in any bars. Maybe just brown-bag it from the convenience store and tipple on the foot-path?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by transpac
I guess I've seen this "Cheers" brand in 7/11s; I thought it was some gimmick beer. Now I see it portends to be the "lao khao" of local beers, sounds positively ghastly, but I have not yet tried it. I've never seen it served in any bars. Maybe just brown-bag it from the convenience store and tipple on the foot-path?
Cheers seems to be the brand of choice amongst the expat alkie crowd on another well known forum. Combination of low price and higher alcohol content are the stated reasons for its popularity. IIRC, there's a "red" and a "blue" version?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Cheers is brewed in the Heineken brewery, so while you may dislike the taste, at least it's quality controlled.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:26 pm

I've read the mobile volkswagen bars are gone from Sukhumvit Soi 11. We've walked by them but never bothered sitting down for a drink as kind of a kitschy thing to do. Is the worth tracking one down just for fun or is it just a meh and not worth the time?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, SPG Plat, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Cheers seems to be the brand of choice amongst the expat alkie crowd on another well known forum.
I trust you mean the "sexpat" alkie crowd, 'cause I gotta tell ya, no one in my expat alkie crowd would even consider drinking it.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by expatbkk
I trust you mean the "sexpat" alkie crowd, 'cause I gotta tell ya, no one in my expat alkie crowd would even consider drinking it.
I know a few expat alkies as well and have never seen any touch the stuff.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by Jay71
I've read the mobile volkswagen bars are gone from Sukhumvit Soi 11. We've walked by them but never bothered sitting down for a drink as kind of a kitschy thing to do. Is the worth tracking one down just for fun or is it just a meh and not worth the time?
IMO, yes they are great. I was sorry to see them banned from Soi 11.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SunLover
Cheers does a little better here: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/pro...t=topr&start=0 and while it might seem extravagant to some, it might be worth spending 50 baht to expand your knowledge and decide for yourself.

SunLover
That's around the same price for mass produced lager anyhow in SIN
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by expatbkk
Dunno. Is the expat alkie crowd at the TV forums all "sexpats"? I don't think so.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Back to the bars... there is a little sake bar on the main drag in Thong Lor that I liked a lot. Unfortunately I didn't get the name. But will be heading back there in a few weeks and can repost if anyone is interested. Thanks for the tips on the other bars. Will check them out. Always on the lookout for a bar with cool vibe (not an irish pub).
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there is a little sake bar on the main drag in Thong Lor

O'Zake? Closed, I think?

Nihon Sake bar Juju?

How far down Soi 55? right or left side?

Gazillions of Japanese places, especially when you include all the sub-sois.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by transpac
there is a little sake bar on the main drag in Thong Lor

O'Zake? Closed, I think?

Nihon Sake bar Juju?

How far down Soi 55? right or left side?

Gazillions of Japanese places, especially when you include all the sub-sois.
It may have been Nihon Sake bar... that sounds very familiar. But can't be sure. Too much sake
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Craft beer

Well, the craft beer scene is expanding in Bangkok. There is Whiskas right down the street from our apartment that has well over 50 taps. Great selection too. Many others nearby with many bottles. The problem is, as predicted, with Thailand's import duties the prices are completely insane. Average price for a pint at Whiskas is $14US.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by braslvr
Well, the craft beer scene is expanding in Bangkok. There is Whiskas right down the street from our apartment that has well over 50 taps. Great selection too. Many others nearby with many bottles. The problem is, as predicted, with Thailand's import duties the prices are completely insane. Average price for a pint at Whiskas is $14US.
But with AEC the potential exists for much more SE Asian craft beer to be imported into Thailand thus avoiding some of those pesky import duties.
You may enjoy this slightly dated article : Thai Craft Beer?s New Strategy: Keep Brewing Until Law Catches Up
More:
http://www.bbc.com/news/av/business-...er-in-thailand
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-2...lution/9265138
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/f...ai-craft-beer/
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by braslvr
Do you mean CRAFT, on Sukhumvit soi 23? Whisgars is a whiskey/cigar bar located inside of the building behind CRAFT (which is an outdoor craft beer bar).

Have you gone up to Brewski, the rooftop craft beer bar at the Radisson Blu hotel yet? Nice views, good munchies, and they always have one craft beer on special for 200 thb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.