Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Trip Planning - Nov 2015

Trip Planning - Nov 2015

Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Trip Planning - Nov 2015

I'm planning my honeymoon in Thailand for this November and would appreciate some advice. We booked our plane tickets to arrive in BKK around 7:30 AM on Fri, Nov 20th and are leaving from BKK at 2 AM on Sunday Nov 29. My fiance and I have traveled in Europe (and across North/Central America) quite a few times and this will be our first trip to SE Asia. I know we won't have a lot of time there, but it's the best we can do with the amount of vacation days we have (which is not much!).

So my questions, we are not beach people and we would like to experience at least two places in Thailand in our short time there. We are thinking Bangkok and Chiang Mai, but are there other places we should consider? Should we consider the beaches? Could we fit in more than two places? And how many days should we spend in each place? We love walking around, getting a feel for cities, people watching, seeing historical sites, and lots of eating, if that helps. We are thinking about flying from Bangkok to Chiang Mai partway through our trip and then flying back to BKK just before our flight leaves for the US. Is that feasible? how much time should we leave ourselves as a buffer? We'll be there over Loy Krathong (Nov 25), would Chiang Mai be a better place to experience that?

Lastly, any recommendations for hotels that are very nice, but feel Thai? A lot of the hotels that we're seeing are gorgeous, but the decor often feels like they could be anywhere in the world.

Thanks to all the flyertalk community, there is a ton of valuable information here!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I enjoyed staying at Yaang Come Village in Chiang Mai, right by the night market area. Good for walking around.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:53 pm

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Spend 3 days in BKK and the rest in Chiang Mai. You can see all the places in BKK in 3 days - all the Buddha temples, Foating market etc. Chiang Mai has many places to trek and is very quiet compared to BKK. Look up travel guides like Frommers and Lonely Planet. Come back to BKK one day ahead to do your shopping (you don't want to lug all that stuff to CM, do you).

Bayoke Sky hotel in BKK should fit your bill for Thai feel. Also, there are many boutique hotels. In CM there are many good ones. You can book them through Agoda or Asiatravel.com.

From BKK give yourself 3-4 hrs to go to the airport and check-in in time.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ushee
I'm planning my honeymoon in Thailand for this November and would appreciate some advice. We booked our plane tickets to arrive in BKK around 7:30 AM on Fri, Nov 20th and are leaving from BKK at 2 AM on Sunday Nov 29. My fiance and I have traveled in Europe (and across North/Central America) quite a few times and this will be our first trip to SE Asia. I know we won't have a lot of time there, but it's the best we can do with the amount of vacation days we have (which is not much!).

So my questions, we are not beach people and we would like to experience at least two places in Thailand in our short time there. We are thinking Bangkok and Chiang Mai, but are there other places we should consider? Should we consider the beaches? Could we fit in more than two places? And how many days should we spend in each place? We love walking around, getting a feel for cities, people watching, seeing historical sites, and lots of eating, if that helps. We are thinking about flying from Bangkok to Chiang Mai partway through our trip and then flying back to BKK just before our flight leaves for the US. Is that feasible? how much time should we leave ourselves as a buffer? We'll be there over Loy Krathong (Nov 25), would Chiang Mai be a better place to experience that?

Lastly, any recommendations for hotels that are very nice, but feel Thai? A lot of the hotels that we're seeing are gorgeous, but the decor often feels like they could be anywhere in the world.

Thanks to all the flyertalk community, there is a ton of valuable information here!
If "historical sites" includes WWII consider a couple of days in Kanchanaburi. Bridge on the River Kwai (bridge itself is nothing but the rest is quite interesting). Death Railway. POW camps (restored). There are a couple of places you can stay on the river. (Literally *on* the river, floating accommodations) Go for a quick swim from your front door before breakfast.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: most of them
Given your time frame I will agree that splitting the time between BKK and Chiang Mai makes sense.

You are in luck with regard to being there for Loy Krathong. You might want to consider going to Sukhothai instead of CM. The whole LK pageantry in Sukhothai is very cool. And there are some national parks nearby as well that are worth a visit if you're into nature stuff. But I think LK in CM is supposed to be pretty nice as well so I don't think you'd go wrong there either.

As for walking around, I think CM is much better for that than BKK. I've been to BKK many times but have never really gotten a feel for the city by walking around like you can do in Europe. But the public transport and taxi infrastructure in BKK is quite good.

You don't say where you're coming from. But don't discount the jetlag. There are lots of flights per day between CNX and BKK so flying back right before your international flight should be easily done. I'm not sure there's ideal answer. But since you arrive so early on the 20th I would consider flying to CNX right away since you'll be at the airport anyway and then returning to BKK a few days before your return. But it's probably 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

The good thing about Thailand is that there are lots of local hotels that are a very good standard at reasonable prices. Particularly in CM you can find many "authentic" Lanna style places. Most places in BKK will have some local touches in the decor even in the big chains. I would base my choice primarily on the location you want.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:13 pm

The wife and I aren't really beach people either. Over the course of a few trips, we've visited the Bangkok, Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai region, and Phuket region. If you have limited time, I'd suggest skipping the beaches. We felt we "had" to check out some of the beaches too but we unexpected enjoyed the north quite a bit. Some of the beaches are quite nice but I feel the beaches in the Caribbean are generally nicer.

I'd also suggest 3 to 4 days in Bangkok (and rest in Chiang Mai region) which should allow you to visit the big hitters in Bangkok. Some area of Bangkok are more walkable than others. You may have to contend with vendors on the sidewalk, uneven pavement, etc such that it's easier to just walk on the street. Some of the places you may want visit are fairly spread out so in some instances it may be worth hopping in a taxi or tuktuk if to at least give you some relief from the sun.

Chiang Mai is much more walkable than Bangkok but you may still need to end up taking local transportation to get to some of the extended sights. We also enjoyed a few days in Chiang Rai and just made the journey between the two towns by bus.

Personally, I hate cutting it close when connecting on two separate tickets. I'd rather fly back a day before and do a bit of final shopping. However, there are a number of flights from Chiang Mai to Bangkok (almost hourly and multiple carriers) and the flight is relatively short so you have backup options should your original flight have issues. Note, depending on what airlines you are flying, you may arrive back in Bangkok at DMK airport while your international flight home is likely at BKK.

And I agree that jetlag is potentially pretty brutal.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I'm not much of a beach person either. Even the time I've spent on the southern islands has not involved much sand-- that's how non-beachy I am. Anyway, I've been to Thailand about fifty times, and only once went to Chiang Mai. I thought it was ok, but nothing I was terribly excited to go back to. I spend almost all my time in Bangkok. Though I don't own property there (yet), my hotel in Bangkok has become a second home for me. I never tire of just hanging out in the city. Tons of shopping, dining, sightseeing, and cultural things to do. FWIW, I disagree with those upthread who wrote that three days would be enough for Bangkok. Especially for a first time visit, I would say do you need a minimum of five days just to see the highlights, and that's without any day trips to nearby places like Ayyuthya, Kanchanaburi, etc. You need to allow a decent chunk of your time in Bangkok for shopping, whether for souvenirs for yourself or gifts to bring home to friends and family. And be sure to factor in that moving around the city can take a significant amount of time-- at least half an hour from Siam Square to the Riverside Hotel area, for example, even though it is barely 2 miles.
Old May 6, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
You could spend a lifetime in BKK and still not see it all... However, most folks that come to visit can see the highlights in 3 very full days:

1) Train to Chatuchak / Taxi back to Pak Khlong Talad (flower market area) / Royal Palace(?) / Wat Pho / River Taxi to Wat Arun / dinner on Chaopraya (one of the chain hotels on the water)
2) Drive up to Ayutthaya temples / Elephants / Lunch / River Cruise back / Muay Thai
3)Walk the malls for shopping (MBK->Paragon->etc) / street food lunch / VIP movie / massage / roof top dinner somewhere (the restaurants here are amazing)
Old May 6, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
I agree with the above advice to spend about 3 days in Bangkok and the rest in CM. I'd fly back a day before you depart Thailand, especially if you're flying into DMK rather than BKK.

Tastes vary (required disclaimer otherwise people assume you don't know that), but here's my advice for what to do in CM: Must see the Sunday evening market (start at Thapae gate), doi suthep, doi inthanon, river rafting, river cruise, night market. I liked ATV riding and the night safari too. There's a beautiful botanical garden attraction near the night safari that's also worth a few hours. Try the street food (roti, etc.). Get fresh orange juice every day. Get lots of massages, including some 30 min foot massages. Try every kind of fruit at least once, no matter what it looks like (noi na, rambutan, not, lychee, pomegranate, wax apple). Learn how to use the red sangtaew busses. The airport mall is nice for a break and they have a free shuttle (there are now several other malls too).

Hotels are pretty inexpensive, so don't be turned off by a hotel with good reviews just because it costs $30, $40, $50.
Old May 7, 2015, 4:33 am

If you have 9 days in Thailand, and since it will be for honeymoon, I think you should plan something fantastic... Being too much in a city is not so romantic and Bangkok, despite of being a very interesting city, is also too crowded, polluted and tiring so I could suggest you to stay 2 nights. Then maybe you could move to Chiang Mai, a more peaceful city and much nicer than Bangkok and if you want to explore the numerous temples, feel the atmosphere and experience Loy Krathong at its best, probably 3 nights would be great.
Finally, 4 nights by the beach to relax and be in a romantic atmosphere seems to be essential during such a trip and Koh Kood is a paradise with pristine beaches, very thin and white sand and crystal clear sea water.
To resume, find the itinerary with my suggestions for hotels:
-20th to 22nd of November: Bangkok, Mandarin Oriental (prefer a State Room)
-22nd to 25th of November: Chiang Mai, Rachamankha (prefer a Deluxe room or a Suite)
-25th to 29th of November: Koh Kood, Soneva Kiri (any villa is amazing)
If you need more informations about these 3 hotels, feel free to contact me.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Attention to detail is also one of my "opportunity" areas for personal improvement. However, being a beach guy myself, unlike the OP, I will look Koh Kood up. Thanks for the suggestion!

Another non-beach option would be further up North in Chiang Rai, the Golden Triangle area is beautiful.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: most of them
Yeah, if you're not beach people don't feel like you have to go to a beach. I am not a beach person either. I would spend more time in the north or pick someplace like Sukhothai which is very quiet but has some very nice places to see for a couple of days.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ko Kood is a beautiful beach destination but it does take the better part of a day to get there, and another better part of a day to return - ground transport to Trat, longish ferry ride together which can be challenging to time/sync.

Sukhothai, IME, during Loy Krathong is not that great. Sure there are tons of "events" but the whole experience can be lost what with all the electrical cables strewn about, crass commercialization and a gazillion vendors. I've returned at other times and found the experience much better. If you do go to Sukhothai make sure to explore the dozens of temple ruins nearby (to the west, outside the old city walls), and Wat Phra Phai Luang and Wat Si Chum.

If you are going to Chiang Mai during Loy Krathong/Ye Peng - and it would be better there than in Bangkok - you would be well advised to book transport/accommodations sooner rather than later.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
Ko Kood is a beautiful beach destination but it does take the better part of a day to get there, and another better part of a day to return - ground transport to Trat, longish ferry ride together which can be challenging to time/sync.

Sukhothai, IME, during Loy Krathong is not that great. Sure there are tons of "events" but the whole experience can be lost what with all the electrical cables strewn about, crass commercialization and a gazillion vendors. I've returned at other times and found the experience much better. If you do go to Sukhothai make sure to explore the dozens of temple ruins nearby (to the west, outside the old city walls), and Wat Phra Phai Luang and Wat Si Chum.

If you are going to Chiang Mai during Loy Krathong/Ye Peng - and it would be better there than in Bangkok - you would be well advised to book transport/accommodations sooner rather than later.

The hotel I recommend in Koh Kood which is Soneva Fushi has 2 planes operating direct flights between Don Muang in Bangkok to the little private resort airport of Mai Si, just 5 minutes boat ride from the resort. Moreover, Koh Kood has more than amazing beaches to offer, a real local life, fantastic rain forest, authentic villages...
That said, if beach is not a priority, spending more time in the north could drive the honeymoon schedule to Pai, a very nice place surroundings by a magical nature and where there is a very very charming hotel named Reverie Siam. This place is located at 3h by car from Chiang Mai and could be a very considerable extension to a stay in Chiang Mai.
Old May 10, 2015, 3:40 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by RodHK
The hotel I recommend in Koh Kood which is Soneva Fushi has 2 planes operating direct flights between Don Muang in Bangkok to the little private resort airport of Mai Si, just 5 minutes boat ride from the resort. Moreover, Koh Kood has more than amazing beaches to offer, a real local life, fantastic rain forest, authentic villages....
An excellent idea, especially as you won't find many places with clean beaches in Thailand anymore.

Regarding the Cessna Caravan flights they offer them also between Koh Kood and Siem Reap. I think visiting Angkor would be more romantic than polluted and overcrowd Chiang Mai during Loei Khratong. Alternatively you may consider Luang Prabang.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.