Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:46 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
That's exactly what put me off the Phaya Thai / BTS link to get to Silom/Sala Daeng. The MRT option is, I think, connection free: also not so sweaty once your in the system
Only sweaty when you are changing trains @:-)

Originally Posted by manymany
Yeah I think you would be better off getting onto the MRT at Makkasan/Phetchaburi. As described above with the walkway between its ok. No point changing at Phaya Thai and Siam (I think change of level too?) on the BTS.
Don't remember which direction is on the same level, which isn't a very big deal unless a lot of pax get off and ALL try to get on that one escalator

Moreover, you get off ARL earlier and probably have a shorter journey with MRT than BTS @:-)
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by manymany
Yeah I think you would be better off getting onto the MRT at Makkasan/Phetchaburi. As described above with the walkway between its ok. No point changing at Phaya Thai and Siam (I think change of level too?) on the BTS.
There would not be a change of levels.

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Don't remember which direction is on the same level, which isn't a very big deal unless a lot of pax get off and ALL try to get on that one escalator

Moreover, you get off ARL earlier and probably have a shorter journey with MRT than BTS @:-)
At Siam each level has trains proceeding in the same direction. IOW, Asok-National Stadium you would remain on the same level. Phaya Thai to Sala Daeng also on the same level.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
At Siam each level has trains proceeding in the same direction.
Yes, now that you mention it, that seems to ring true.

Still better off on MRT without a change
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
ARL BKK to Makkasan, easy walk to Petchaburi, then MRT direct to Silom. Forget about the BTS.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
ARL BKK to Makkasan, easy walk to Petchaburi, then MRT direct to Silom. Forget about the BTS.
Exactly what I wanted to hear - the easy word, I mean.

The BTS was a red herring someone introduced. Anything with a change mid-route was out from the start .

Thanks all!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
While finding the taxi outside Makkasan has always been "interesting", the train from BKK in combination with a SHORT taxi ride beats trying to make multiple transfers with Bangkok public transit.

Pity there isn't a formal taxi stop.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Any idea why the MRT has the security check whilst the BTS does not? It's always a pain to do the check with luggage.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:04 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Took the train to the airport on 04 July and was amazed just how easy it was.

Boarded the BTS at E2 and travelled to N2 where I transferred to the airport train. For THB45 the airport train was well worth it and I'll definitely do it again.

Going from the basement to the departure area is a slight inconvenience but nothing insurmountable.

I travel alone with HLO so it works for me and no taxi stress makes it even better.As a regular visitor to BKK I do know how to use the BTS so this helps getting to the transfer station.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Any idea why the MRT has the security check whilst the BTS does not? It's always a pain to do the check with luggage.
"Same, same. But different."

Not sure if this is related to containment issues related to underground facilities, or perceived threat or budget? My best guess would be that there is a lack of space in BTS stations to safely implement security queues; these stations/system were designed/constructed before the recent need to implement security theatre. And the MRT was designed/constructed after, and has a also lot more space.

Go to Asoke/BTS station some weekday at 6:00 PM to get a feel for congestion and flow (admittedly exacerbated by the need to remain stationary during the twice daily playing of the National anthem) . People would be backed up down stairs to the street level.

Staff keep queues off the stairs (street to mezzanine and mezz to platform) during busy periods to minimize falls/injury.

In some BTS stations there may be a random security check (staff with wand) after the entry gates, although I've never seen anyone being checked.

I've also seen State Security personnel (Special Branch; uniformed, sometimes with K9 assist) patrolling the BTS, but never in the MRT. Assume this is when some threat level is increased?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
MRT security is a joke. At the top of the stairs at Asok/Sukhumvit, where the metal detector is, I have no problem going through with my wheel-aboard carryon, no questions or inspection; yet women regularly have to open their purses. Reminds me of the period of time after 9-11. I would drive to the airport and have to open the trunk on entering the airport garage. So I pop the trunk open and the guy sees three large cardboard boxes taped shut. "You're all set, sir, go ahead." He didn't even ask what was in the boxes, let alone ask that they be opened for inspection. Just three large cardboard boxes taped shut. No problem. I always wondered what they were looking for with these inspections.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MRT security is a joke. At the top of the stairs at Asok/Sukhumvit, where the metal detector is, I have no problem going through with my wheel-aboard carryon, no questions or inspection; yet women regularly have to open their purses. Reminds me of the period of time after 9-11. I would drive to the airport and have to open the trunk on entering the airport garage. So I pop the trunk open and the guy sees three large cardboard boxes taped shut. "You're all set, sir, go ahead." He didn't even ask what was in the boxes, let alone ask that they be opened for inspection. Just three large cardboard boxes taped shut. No problem. I always wondered what they were looking for with these inspections.
Even MRT security knows this is kabuki theater. Regardless of how many bags you have they only require you cursorily open one and then they pretend to look. I get a laugh when they shine a flashlight into my ice skate bag while looking at each other and having a conversation.

I have a bigger problem with the annoying whistle blowing dolts on BTS and SARL platforms.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
While finding the taxi outside Makkasan has always been "interesting", the train from BKK in combination with a SHORT taxi ride beats trying to make multiple transfers with Bangkok public transit.

Pity there isn't a formal taxi stop
It is not "interesting" but challenging to hail a taxi to Silom, Sathon or Sukhumvit at Petchaburi MRT (after the long walk from Makkasan St via the pedestrian bridge). I have given up and simply go straight for the MRT. If taxis were plentiful for sure I would have taken a taxi straight to the hotel.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
It is not "interesting" but challenging to hail a taxi to Silom, Sathon or Sukhumvit at Petchaburi MRT (after the long walk from Makkasan St via the pedestrian bridge). I have given up and simply go straight for the MRT. If taxis were plentiful for sure I would have taken a taxi straight to the hotel.
By contrast, catching a taxi in the opposite direction (northbound along Ratchada) is super easy IME.

After leaving Makkasan station on the walkway towards Petchaburi MRT, take the stairway down on the left. Then walk back to the corner underneath the ARL so a taxi can pull in easily.

I've never had to wait more than about 3 minutes, and never had meter problems either.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:52 pm

MRT security is a joke. At the top of the stairs at Asok/Sukhumvit, where the metal detector is, I have no problem going through with my wheel-aboard carryon, no questions or inspection; yet women regularly have to open their purses.
If you are white, you are not a target @:-)

At least that's been my experience.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
If you are white, you are not a target @:-)

At least that's been my experience.
I've have never noticed anyone being treated differently than another. Bags are opened and cursorily looked in, if at all, for all. Rarely does anyone break stride.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.