Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It's a strategy by no means confined to Bangkok
True. Now imagine how bad in can get if they start subsidizing fares and double the passenger traffic.

BTS could become unusable for most of us.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:05 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RustyC
Singapore is still the unsurpassed standard for the region. KL has lines but still not so much integration and too many areas not served due to sprawl. Manila is woefully underserved and crowded but at least has something. The Skytrain and subway in Bangkok are still expanding (and the Skytrain is really straining in places)...eventually it's likely to be integrated and government-run, possibly with either lowered fares or some subsidized-pass scheme to try to lure people off buses. Am sure a LOT of locals are still taking buses to save the 20 or 30 baht vs. the Skytrain or subway.
But then Singapore could learn a thing or two from HK.

For my past few visits, I was only in Singapore for a day or two, so every time I bought a ticket, I had to queue up to get the refund on the single-use ticket. The refunds all added up to buy a few kue at the airport, otherwise the total amount naturally didn't add up to much.

As for Bangkok, I've gotten used to taking buses because they go all over the place. Both airports, floating markets and they're the best way to explore new neighborhoods. Taxis are often sitting in the same traffic, and bus drivers/fare collectors don't pick fights either...

(Finally, I wish a pedestrian bridge was in the works for the Asok Junction intersection, but that's another story.)
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:13 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Don't know about the Y product, but the Business Class seats are a joke and there is no First Class.
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Knee crushing Y cabin and less than comfy C.
Thanks for pitching in ^

Very long thread about this in United forum titled something like UA to discontinue NRT-BKK - now gone.

W is expensive enough, but having to fly Y for another 7 hours in coach on NH
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:30 pm

"(Finally, I wish a pedestrian bridge was in the works for the Asok Junction intersection, but that's another story.)" ?????? Where would you want it exactly ? Between going under & over you can get everywhere right now
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
"(Finally, I wish a pedestrian bridge was in the works for the Asok Junction intersection, but that's another story.)" ?????? Where would you want it exactly ? Between going under & over you can get everywhere right now
How about crossing to the southern side of Sukhumvit?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
How about crossing to the southern side of Sukhumvit?
There are stairs leading down to both of the southern corners.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airport Rail Link adds two trains from Suvarnabhumi to cope with surge in passengers

BANGKOK: -- The Airport Rail Link has added two trains to its late night service from Suvarnabhumi Airport to cope with the rise in passenger numbers.

Pakorn Tangjetsakao, acting CEO of SRT Electrified Train Company Limited, the operator of the system, revealed that the daily service has been extended past midnight.

The extra trains depart from the airport at 12:15 am and 12:35 am and travel non-stop to Phayathai Station.

Trains arrive at Phaya Thai at 12:30 AM and 12:50 AM. Effective from 1 March 2015.

http://www.srtet.co.th/internet/th/

Of course the BTS (station at Phaya Thai) will already be closed, so you'll need to schlep your bags down to the street level and arrange additional transport, or accommodations nearby.

The last BTS train from Phaya Thai in-bound (towards Bearing) leaves at 00:21, while the last outbound train (towards Mo Chit) leaves Phaya Thai at 00:31, according to the currently available schedule.

http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/pdf...eTimetable.pdf

Last edited by transpac; Mar 3, 2015 at 7:11 pm
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transpac
Airport Rail Link adds two trains from Suvarnabhumi to cope with surge in passengers

BANGKOK: -- The Airport Rail Link has added two trains to its late night service from Suvarnabhumi Airport to cope with the rise in passenger numbers.

Pakorn Tangjetsakao, acting CEO of SRT Electrified Train Company Limited, the operator of the system, revealed that the daily service has been extended past midnight.

The extra trains depart from the airport at 12:15 am and 12:35 am and travel non-stop to Phayathai Station.

Trains arrive at Phaya Thai at 12:30 AM and 12:50 AM. Effective from 1 March 2015.

http://www.srtet.co.th/internet/th/

Of course the BTS (station at Phaya Thai) will already be closed, so you'll need to schlep your bags down to the street level and arrange additional transport, or accommodations nearby.

The last BTS train from Phaya Thai in-bound leaves at 00:31.

http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/pdf...eTimetable.pdf
And once taxis know there's a slew of pax in need of onward transpo at Phaya Thai the gouge will be large enough to justify simply taking a taxi from the airport.

Not something I have any desire to venture into.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
And once taxis know there's a slew of pax in need of onward transpo at Phaya Thai the gouge will be large enough to justify simply taking a taxi from the airport.

Not something I have any desire to venture into.
Walk a couple of blocks and the taxis will be none the wiser. Not difficult--travel lightly.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:11 am

One time before UA stopped flying into BKK I manged to get to the train early enough to catch the last one, and while it took a few minutes, I was able to hail a taxi.

And yes, I do travel light
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
One time before UA stopped flying into BKK I manged to get to the train early enough to catch the last one, and while it took a few minutes, I was able to hail a taxi.
I've at least once managed to do a very late ARL to BTS connection with the late JAL arrival. Nice if you one can time it -- BTS was very empty at that hour.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Walk a couple of blocks and the taxis will be none the wiser. Not difficult--travel lightly.
Walk a couple of blocks? Unlikely. Traveling light is sometimes not as easy as JJ Cale sings about.

Originally Posted by EmailKid

And yes, I do travel light
After a series of difficulties getting a taxi at Phaya Thai later at night I've foregone the attempts since.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 7:37 pm

I take ARL all the time, but late at night - never. Cabs are cheap and door to door. A lot of hassle to save a few bucks IMO.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
I take ARL all the time, but late at night - never.
Well,

as Budget Travel forum moderator I almost feel obligated to find the cheapest way to travel when I can.

So yes, I've been known to fly in Biz and then take public transport from the airport
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I agree about not taking it at night. Not nearly enough of a time advantage at night for the 200 baht saved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.