Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
For me it['s not worth it. My perspective is like this: Take the ARL. If I want the express I can wait as much as half an hour. Then get to Phayathai. Wait up to 20 minutes. Take a bus. Then get close and pay a taxi to finish the trip. What does all that cost? How much would it cost for a taxi from the airport? How much am I saving? 100 baht? 200 baht? And wait for the train, wait for the bus, and carry luggage around the station and on to the bus.

If someone walked up to me on the street and offered to hire me to stand there for half an hour, then move some luggage around, then stand for another 20 minutes, then move some more luggage around, and offered to pay me 100 baht would I do it? Because, effectively that's what it means. Paying myself 100 or 200 baht to accept the additional hassle and time instead of just taking a taxi.

Doesn't really seem to be worth it to me.

Last edited by Tchiowa; Mar 18, 2014 at 12:30 am
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How late does the bus run?
Other than the 24 hour bus routes, and I do not think the #36 is a 24-hour route, most run 05:00 - 23:00.

http://www.transitbangkok.com/bangkok_buses.html

http://www.bmta.co.th/en/index.php

You can use the Google Maps "Transit" option as this incorporates buses, to get a feel for options and schedules.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...us-route-maps/

Last edited by transpac; Mar 17, 2014 at 6:45 pm
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:47 pm

It finally appears that the SRT is about to place the order for the previously mentioned 7 new 4 car sets of rolling stock. When I say finally, the money was approved in May 2012 and the intention was that the new rolling stock would be delivered by 2014!

Expect 2 years from whenever the contract is signed to deliver....2016.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:14 am

A new ARL app.https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rportlinktimes.
Think this has a better UI than the other one.
This application is developed in order to help the passenger of the Airport Rail Link(Thailand) to get the information about the time table of the next arrival train.
1. Show the next arrival train of Airport Rail Link(Thailand) for the selected station. (Support both city line and express line)
2. Show time table of all the train that will arrival on the selected station.
3. Show time table for every station.
4. Map of major mass-transportation in Bangkok are also available in the application (Airport Rail Link, BTS, MRT)
*Support both THAI and ENGLISH
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:25 am

Airport Link to halt Phayathai express service for major maintenance

The express service will only run from Makkasan, city line will still run to Phaya Thai.
Apr 14, 2014 - Apr 2015!

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/...C5704030010009
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airport Link to halt Phayathai express service for major maintenance

"until April 2015, servicing one train at a time and requiring 1-2 months for each train"

I think they have nine (9) sets; five on the City Line and four on the Express. Not sure if they need to repair all nine sets, if so that would be 9 - 18 months total, based on the guesstimates. Hope the repairs aren't safety related as this might indicate that spreading out the repairs means they may be using sets which are "at risk"?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 2:34 am

I remember when the ARL first started running,the doors on the trains shut with such force it was obvious there would be a problem with them.
After a few months a repair schedule was ordered to repair the door closing mechanisms.Surely someone should have noticed before the service was up and running that something was wrong.
At least the express to Makkasan is not going to be affected by the latest repair work,which is good for us.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
So BKK to the St. Regis.

Should I take ARL to Makkasan? And then taxi from there? Or bus? Or walk?!

Or just taxi from the airport the entire way?

Arriving April 14 mid-moring.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by gobears293
So BKK to the St. Regis.

Should I take ARL to Makkasan? And then taxi from there? Or bus? Or walk?!

Or just taxi from the airport the entire way?

The ARL is not going to put you anywhere close to the St. Regis, so unless you like long walks hauling your luggage in a tropical climate, that is not an option.

If you want to take the ARL and BTS, you'd take the local train to Phaya Thai, BTS to Siam, then transfer to Ratchadamri. Cab from BKK is probably a lot easier, unless you really need to save $5-10 (in which case, why the St. Regis instead of someplace like Khao San Road?) or you really like using local mass transit (some do).
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The ARL is not going to put you anywhere close to the St. Regis, so unless you like long walks hauling your luggage in a tropical climate, that is not an option.

If you want to take the ARL and BTS, you'd take the local train to Phaya Thai, BTS to Siam, then transfer to Ratchadamri. Cab from BKK is probably a lot easier, unless you really need to save $5-10 (in which case, why the St. Regis instead of someplace like Khao San Road?) or you really like using local mass transit (some do).
Yeah so I actually mapped it and it would be silly to walk.

Don't need to save the $5-10, but I do like using local mass transit. I loathe traffic and prefer taking the subway/train/tram whenever possible.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Just take the ARL to Phaya Thai and flag down a taxi from the main street. No need to take BTS (a change to Silom line at Siam will also be required for the BTS)
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:49 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by gobears293
Don't need to save the $5-10, but I do like using local mass transit. I loathe traffic and prefer taking the subway/train/tram whenever possible.
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Just take the ARL to Phaya Thai and flag down a taxi from the main street. No need to take BTS (a change to Silom line at Siam will also be required for the BTS)
gobears says he loathes traffic. I am not sure a taxi from Phaya Thai to the other side of Rama IV is the best suggestion then.

It's tough to advise, but
This might be better:
Airport Link Express to Makkassan, walk the new overhead walkway to MRT (subway), alight at Hua Lumpong (or Sam Yan). Short taxi trip to St Regis from MRT.

However I do agree that a taxi from the airport is still the best option, especially if traffic is light at that time of day/season. A taxi shouldn't hit much traffic jam on the elevated highways/tollways. Even if you're stuck in traffic for 1/2 hour once you drop down into Silom, it's still about equal time as the multiple segment transit trip.

If luggage is light, the transit plan may be time efficient (especially arriving at rush hour during school season).
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As this is a holiday, traffic to/from the airport will be non-existent (unloathsome), just take a taxi directly from the airport. You may be able to stay drier? Given that so many, including taxis+drivers, leave Bangkok for Songkhran, it may be challenging to get a taxi in town (at Hua Lumphong, Sam Yan, Phaya Thai. Makkasan, etc.).

If you must take public transport, then three trains/lines: SARL to Phaya Thai, BTS - Sukhumvit Line towards Bearing, change to the Silom Line at Siam, direction Talat Phlu, get off at Ratchadamri (one stop).

I assume you know you are arriving in the middle of the annual three + day New Year's celebrations?

Last edited by transpac; Apr 7, 2014 at 5:25 am
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by transpac
I assume you know you are arriving in the middle of the annual three + day New Year's celebrations?
... and that you know what that means? Youtube video.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:45 am

Many taxis still in BKK during Songkran and it really is the best time to drive in BKK as the streets are nearly empty. A taxi trip will be very quick and dry!

Everyone should note that the Express to Phayathai will cease from 14 April for a long period of time. This is due to rolling stock needing to undergo long term maintenance (like a plane) and the fact that they are already down 1 set.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.