Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:44 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EmailKid
If you are white, you are not a target @:-)

At least that's been my experience.
Fellow farang here. They've always checked my ransel...unless I just walked askance (so that they wouldn't noticed).

Unlike most of my other experiences in Thailand, they're not usually rude about it.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
How reliable is the first train in the morning? I have an 8:35 departure and would look to get the first train out in the morning from Makkasan at 06:06, probably get a cab from Asoke.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:46 pm

You should be fine. If I got in a cab, I'd stay in it most likely though.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:54 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I think it's been a couple of years, but hailed a cab and took it to Makkasan for first train of the day - no problems.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
How reliable is the first train in the morning? I have an 8:35 departure and would look to get the first train out in the morning from Makkasan at 06:06, probably get a cab from Asoke.
I just did that, a bit later than you - but from Phaya Thai. It filled up massively at Makkasan. If I were you I'd just stay in the taxi
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
My PG870 flight lands around 2230 at BKK; since I'm flying business class I should get to/thru immigration by 2330. I should be able to catch the City Express ARL before it closes at 0002 and plan to get off at the Makkasan stop.

Will I have a problem hailing a taxi cab at the Makkasan or Petchaburi MRT (using covered walkway) stop around 0040 to 0100? I need to get to a guest house on side street 200 metres south of the Asok BTS station; distance of under 4 km.

Last edited by kamaaina; Jul 31, 2015 at 1:35 pm Reason: incorrect station listed
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by kamaaina
I should be able to catch the City Express ARL before it closes at 0002 and plan to get off at the Makkasan stop.
I was under the impression that recent reports indicate City Express is not currently running. It certainly wan't on my last visit.

Will I have a problem hailing a taxi cab at the Makkasan or Petchaburi MRT (using covered walkway) stop around 0040 to 0100? I need to get to a guest house on side street 200 metres south of the Asok BTS station; distance of under 4 km.
Previous posts hint at this.

I was able to flag down a taxi in about five or ten minutes shortly after midnight at Makkasan about a year and a half ago.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The current SRTET schedule does show the last City Line train departing SBIA at 00:02. But it also still shows the two special late trains, now no longer offered, so read into that what you may.

And there is a new banner at srtet.co.th, announcing 06:00-24:00 all stations as of today, 1 August 2015. So not sure what that means re: schedules?

Assuming you make a train, and the walkway at Makassan has not been shuttered for the night, you should be able to easily hail a taxi on the south-bound side of Asoke Montri/Rathcadapisek Road. You may have to try a few cabs.

Last edited by transpac; Jul 31, 2015 at 7:42 pm
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:37 pm

You should be through immigration in 30 mins. If so, you might be able to take the MRT from Petchaburi to Asoke. IMO , since there will be no traffic, unless you really need to save a couple hundred baht, just grab a cab.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
My PG870 flight lands around 2230 at BKK; since I'm flying business class I should get to/thru immigration by 2330. I should be able to catch the City Express ARL before it closes at 0002 and plan to get off at the Makkasan stop.

The only INT flight I see landing between 10PM and midnight is from NYT and there's no C to/from that destination. I also can't find PG 870.

Where are you coming in from?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:22 am

Programs: Star Alliance
My error, TG677 NRT to BKK, and I know I'd have to chance it with the City Line.

Probably will take taxi but use ARL on a return day flight; YGN-BKK, to get off at Makkasan then connect with Petchaburi MRT to Sukhumvit stop.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:20 am

My error, TG677 NRT to BKK, and I know I'd have to chance it with the City Line.
Maybe the times are different now, but that is the exact flight I was referring to above.

Made the train easily - though because I was flying up front I got the fast pass through immigration. Actually had to wait a few minutes for the train, and back then last one ran around 11:30 IIRC.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw some recent posts, on other forums, that many of the SARL ticketing (token) machines at the airport are not functioning. This results in very, very long lines just to purchase a token. Maybe these have been repaired in the last few days?
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Reviving this thread...We land at BKK around 18:30 and have a flight the next morning at 8:10 to NRT. Is it worth spending the night at the BKK Novotel and taking a train into town for the evening? Is it 150 baht to do so? Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by greg0ire
Reviving this thread...We land at BKK around 18:30 and have a flight the next morning at 8:10 to NRT. Is it worth spending the night at the BKK Novotel and taking a train into town for the evening? Is it 150 baht to do so? Thanks!
The train fare from the airport to Phaya Thai station is 45 baht each way. You will need to decide whether to spend the night in town or at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.