Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Bangkok Airport Rail Link (ARL): Updates, Advice, Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:04 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Because there are banners at the stations stating it stopped in April by chance?
555 TiT

The Thai mantra - if they say it often enough, it will become true!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My confusion re: cessation of direct, non-stop Express SARL service, may stem in part to the fact that it may have been stopped in two stages.

There was direct, non-stop express service between Makkasan and SBIA/BKK, AND direct, non-stop express service between Phaya Thai and SBIA/BKK. So two separate and distinct service schedules.

Track reconfiguration west of Makkasan would address this anomaly and allow for a single service with stops at Makkasan, not sure if that was ever done.

So I think these services stopped at two different times as the rolling stock became impaired. Maybe Makkasan Express service stopped in April, 2014 and Phaya Thai in September, 2014? I assume a read-through of this thread would reveal the details.

I guess they are refurbishing the Express sets as well, but no idea if the Express service will ever be re-started? My guess would be no, and that they'll use Express sets for City Line service, but one never knows with the SRT>
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
My confusion re: cessation of direct, non-stop Express SARL service, may stem in part to the fact that it may have been stopped in two stages.

There was direct, non-stop express service between Makkasan and SBIA/BKK, AND direct, non-stop express service between Phaya Thai and SBIA/BKK. So two separate and distinct service schedules.

Track reconfiguration west of Makkasan would address this anomaly and allow for a single service with stops at Makkasan, not sure if that was ever done.

So I think these services stopped at two different times as the rolling stock became impaired. Maybe Makkasan Express service stopped in April, 2014 and Phaya Thai in September, 2014? I assume a read-through of this thread would reveal the details.

I guess they are refurbishing the Express sets as well, but no idea if the Express service will ever be re-started? My guess would be no, and that they'll use Express sets for City Line service, but one never knows with the SRT>
Yes that is correct. The Phaya Thai Express stopped running in April and the Makkasan Express was ceased in mid September.

The Express services will restart, most likely from 1 April as scheduled.

The connection of the Express and Cityline tracks on the west side of Makkasan CAT has still not started. The tender did go out mid last year but......
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by ColoBill1
"Express Line

As of September 2014, all Express services have been suspended until further notice due to a shortage of rolling stock availability."

Above quote is from the Wikipedia page for the Bangkok Airport Rail Link. I could swear the non-stop express trains were running when I visited Bangkok in early May.
As the Wiki user that wrote it, I can vouch for the correctness of the sentence..... 555
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I've seen some signs on the old concrete scarecrows near Don Muang that they may start working there. But U-Tapao? Rail link?
Incorrect. This is the SRT Dark Red Line (suburban/comutter) that is being built from Bang Sue to Rangsit, details here- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...s-updates.html

Work was delayed for 2 years due to a contract dispute and just 6 weeks ago the MOT stated that the line will open one year later in 2018.

The bid for the ARL ext to DMK (a priority in 2013 with the previous govt) should come out by mid year as I previously posted at #109;
"Cabinet approved the ARL extension to DMK in early Dec.

The tender might go out in the first half of 2015 with work starting by the end of 2015. A 4 year construction period is realistic.

Bidding for the much delayed 7 sets of rolling stock (5 cars) will go out in Jan."

The absurd issue here is that both lines (Dark Red & ARL) will be built along side each other with separate stations!!! The Dark Red Line will also be narrow gauge while the ARL is standard gauge! No connectivity. The Dark Red Line will eventually be some 90kms long from Thammasat Unit to Mahachai. And the SRT still plans to extend the Light Red line right alongside the current ARL line!

I've been harping on for years and years about how stupid it is to build these SRT lines with two different gauges and not to integrate the design (why have two stations literally along side each other). One has to remember that the Cityline service is essentially a suburban/commuter line which terminates at the airport.

The SRT is stupid in relation to these plans. However, we should also remember that the MOT and successive govts have all approved these plans.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:11 pm

I've seen some signs on the old concrete scarecrows near Don Muang that they may start working there. But U-Tapao? Rail link?
In relation to the proposed U-Tapao link, one should remember two facts.

1) U-Tapao is getting a current 100m baht upgrade and a proposed 4 billion baht upgrade (soon to be approved) to expand capacity and increase pax from the current 100K a year to 3m a year. Essentially, to make it the eastern seaboard airport.

2) The link to U-Tapao will be a spur line off the proposed Eastern HSR line from BKK to Rayong via Chonburi which is in the final design stage. The route of this line runs very close to U-Tapao so it would not cost much to build the spur line.

The Eastern HSR line was previously proposed to use the ARL as a backbone with Makkasan as the terminus station for full intergration with the ARL and new BAng Sue intercity Terminus which is being built.

More recent silly proposals from the Japanese on the Advisory Panel wish for wide bodied Japanese rolling stock to be used which would mean that the Eastern cannot use the ARL (the rolling stock would be too wide) and thus it would have to terminate at Lak Krabang and pax change trains/lines.

The Japanese are probably obviously influencing decision makers as the Malaysians have on the monorail side of the future BKK network where 3 lines have changed from heavy rail to monorail.

Stupidity and poor planning abounds!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Privatize ARL

That would be a major step in the right direction.

http://www2.bangkokpost.com/news/tra...port-rail-link
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:49 am

The SRTET has added a couple of post midnight services to cater for the late long haul arrivals. They run express from the airport to PT.

12:15am and 12:30am, 45 baht, express to PT
http://manager.co.th/Home/ViewNews.a...=9580000022224

PAx number increased by nearly 10% last financial year and this year the pax numbers are expected to reach 66m.

The ext to DMK is still planned to be tendered by mid year (as it was the last 2 yrs) bu the process has been delayed a little due to the redesign of the SRT Dark Red Line (from 3 to 4 tracks). Cabinet approved the budget for this last week.

Still some time away from a decision on the new 7 sets of rolling stock (5 cars)
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
The SRTET has added a couple of post midnight services to cater for the late long haul arrivals. They run express from the airport to PT.

12:15am and 12:30am, 45 baht, express to PT
Wish they did that when UA still flew to BKK

To avoid ANA on NRT-BKK I fly via HKG or some other destination, spend the night and fly to BKK during the day.

And thanks for the update ^
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
That would be a major step in the right direction.

http://www2.bangkokpost.com/news/tra...port-rail-link
Riiight...because the tollways have worked so well. Not making enough money to pay the bills? Just RAISE THE RATES! Pretty soon you're running a boutique service for those who can afford it while the traffic problem you were supposed to alleviate just continues.

ARL is basically a commuter rail, and guidebooks are warning pax with much in the way of baggage away from it. Was surprised a year or so ago to learn it was SRT, as that kind of thing is better handled by a local or regional body.

Singapore is still the unsurpassed standard for the region. KL has lines but still not so much integration and too many areas not served due to sprawl. Manila is woefully underserved and crowded but at least has something. The Skytrain and subway in Bangkok are still expanding (and the Skytrain is really straining in places)...eventually it's likely to be integrated and government-run, possibly with either lowered fares or some subsidized-pass scheme to try to lure people off buses. Am sure a LOT of locals are still taking buses to save the 20 or 30 baht vs. the Skytrain or subway. Could get to where they need everything to run platform-length, like in Singapore.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Feb 25, 2015 at 8:23 pm Reason: Added quote for clarity after thread merge
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Wish they did that when UA still flew to BKK

To avoid ANA on NRT-BKK I fly via HKG or some other destination, spend the night and fly to BKK during the day.

And thanks for the update ^
Why avoid ANA?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by braslvr
Why avoid ANA?
Don't know about the Y product, but the Business Class seats are a joke and there is no First Class.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by braslvr
Why avoid ANA?
Knee crushing Y cabin and less than comfy C.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RustyC
Riiight...because the tollways have worked so well. Not making enough money to pay the bills? Just RAISE THE RATES! Pretty soon you're running a boutique service for those who can afford it while the traffic problem you were supposed to alleviate just continues.

ARL is basically a commuter rail, and guidebooks are warning pax with much in the way of baggage away from it. Was surprised a year or so ago to learn it was SRT, as that kind of thing is better handled by a local or regional body.

Singapore is still the unsurpassed standard for the region. KL has lines but still not so much integration and too many areas not served due to sprawl. Manila is woefully underserved and crowded but at least has something. The Skytrain and subway in Bangkok are still expanding (and the Skytrain is really straining in places)...eventually it's likely to be integrated and government-run, possibly with either lowered fares or some subsidized-pass scheme to try to lure people off buses. Am sure a LOT of locals are still taking buses to save the 20 or 30 baht vs. the Skytrain or subway. Could get to where they need everything to run platform-length, like in Singapore.
Can't find much to disagree with, particularly the comments about Singapore. But I still feel that pulling control away from a government entity can't help but make things better. It's not like governments run things efficiently in most places.

The bus system in BKK is ridiculous, but cheap. Not sure how to make it better. You could start by trashing about 90% of the red buses.

And if they start subsidizing BTS and MRT that would certainly help locals use those services, but at certain times of the day (commute hours) they are already packed to capacity. I know people who will get on BTS at Ari or Saphan Kwai deliberately heading the wrong direction (to Mor Chit) so they can get a train at the beginning of the route and actually find a seat.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I know people who will get on BTS at Ari or Saphan Kwai deliberately heading the wrong direction (to Mor Chit) so they can get a train at the beginning of the route and actually find a seat.
It's a strategy by no means confined to Bangkok

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.