Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

I am sure that this has been covered many times, but with the search function down...

Can anyone recommend a high quality tailor in Bangkok? I need to have some cotton shirts made, so the choice of cotton fabrics available is important. Somewhere near the Oriental would be ideal.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:11 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, Avianca Platinum Exec
Originally Posted by eutow
I am sure that this has been covered many times, but with the search function down...

Can anyone recommend a high quality tailor in Bangkok? I need to have some cotton shirts made, so the choice of cotton fabrics available is important. Somewhere near the Oriental would be ideal.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I really like Versace's Tailors on Sukumvit, Soi 7/1. Most of my wardrobe is from there, both business and casual. Great selection of fabrics - great cottens. Last year I had silk short sleeve shirts made in every color they had - 22 @ $20 a piece.

They also go to Europe twice a year and the US every October. They came to my office last October and fitted three other guys who are very happy with the results - clothes arrived December/January.

Sukhumvit, Soi 7/1 isn't near the Oriental, but it's easy to get to via the Skytrain.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
The tailor I used, based on other FT recommendations was Raja's Fashions 1/6 Sukhumvit Soi Nana, opposite the Nana Hotel. While I was there, I heard a continuous parade of westerners from several nationalities and I was told they were typically people from and visiting various embassies. The US Embassy appeared to be well represented. Bobby is the younger of the two and has an uncanny knack for customer names.
tele 2538379
email [email protected]
at least those were accurate awhile back.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Warrenlm
The tailor I used, based on other FT recommendations was Raja's Fashions 1/6 Sukhumvit Soi Nana, opposite the Nana Hotel. While I was there, I heard a continuous parade of westerners from several nationalities and I was told they were typically people from and visiting various embassies. The US Embassy appeared to be well represented. Bobby is the younger of the two and has an uncanny knack for customer names.
tele 2538379
email [email protected]

any estimates on approx cost / number of visits for a good suit? shirts?

Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Arrow

I second Raja's Fashions.

You will find many cheaper/faster places. You can hardly take a step along Sukhumvit Road without tripping over a tailor shop.

I had 3 sport coats made + a shirt and a few ties thrown in for about $150USD each. A sport coat bought off the rack in the USA of comparable quality would be $600 USD and up.

I would plan on at least 4 days and 3 visits. One for the initial measurements and 2 additional fittings. They will deliver the finished product to your hotel room.

I can't wait for my next trip so I can visit Bobby and his father again!

-woof
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:25 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
I was headed to Mr. Bobby on a Sunday evening and they were closed! I only had time for 3 visits before departure so I knew waiting a day for Mr. Bobby (Raja's) wasn't an option. For various reasons, returing home without a new suit wasn't an option.

So, I just picked Majestic Tailors on Sukhumvit Rd. (Just around the cornoer from Mr. Bobby's Rajas shop.).

I went straight for the "best" quality. English 150's cashmere wool blend. They do not offer "packages" and they claimed their prices were fixed.

Anyway, I pulled the trigger and for $225 US I picked up a real nice suit. Easily nicer than the $425 level at Nordstrom.

Exit Nana Skytrain station toward Nana Plaza. Just before you turn left is Majestic, just afetr the left to Nana is Raja's (Mr. Bobby). Had two dress shirts in Egyptian cotton made as well. approx $22 each. The break is at 6 shirts.

I can get more details if you are interested, please PM.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:27 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Just a thought here!
Wouldn't it be a wise idea to ask to see a "finished" suit/shirt belonging to another customer that has not been picked up yet?

If one is not readily available, you can walk!

If one is, you can easily inspect the craftsmanship of the product.

Scho
Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
My buddy had a suit made at Rajawongse last trip - very nice job. Seems like it was $225 USD for the suit + $25 USD for each shirt. The shipping to the US was something that could be improved. Think of your new suit stuffed into a DHL Pak ....

Rajawongse Clothier
130 Sukhumvit Rd.
next to the Landmark Hotel
Bangkok 10110, Thailand

Tel: 02-255-3714
URL: http://www.dress-for-success.com/
E-mail: [email protected]
Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks for the suggestions - keep them coming!

Has anyone had any experience with Tramps or Cotton House, both at Oriental Place?
Old Mar 18, 2005, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Warrenlm
tele 2538379
email [email protected]
I have been there on many occasions may I say this was not my first custom made suit. I found the craftmanship excellent. The choice of fabrics for suits and shirts is outstanding. There was a write up in the Washington Post about Bobby and the shop. This was about 4 months ago or a little longer. He has made a suit in 2 days for me and delivered to my room as promised. The package when I was there was I got two suits 6 shirts 4 ties for $600. All top english wool fabric. He has made suits for U.S. Presidents and members of congress. He has also done suits for Embassy staff from several countries. One of the great things about him he will remember your name and what you drink. I can't guess how he does that. ^ You will be pleased if you buy a suit from this tailor. I need suits now , but I go to the Soviet Republics now. Looks like time for a mileage run.
Old May 4, 2005, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I will be in Bangkok for a while and will be getting a suit. Do you know if Bobby and his gang have material for Seer Sucker suits? Also is it advisable to bring in a magazine ad of a Versache/Armani suit that you like for them to copy?
Old May 5, 2005, 2:54 pm

Programs: WorldPerks, AMEX, OnePass, MileagePlus
Nickermann's in Landmark Hotel

I was in Bangkok last May - check out Nickerman's in the Landmark Hotel at Sukhumvit Soi 5.

The had a pretty nice selection of fabrics for shirts/pants - I made three long sleeve shirts for 100USD.

Great customer service - I ordered shirts in the afternoon, and they were delivered to my hotel room across the street in the evening.

The store is owned by two very nice & professional Indian guys - Vijay & Dee. Their email address is: [email protected]

They also do yearly US visits, so if you like them, you can order more.
Old May 5, 2005, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
I ended up at a tailor across the street from the Marriott (used to be Riverside, now I think it is called Resort & Spa). The shop is called Alex Fashions. They are less expensive than tailors in town, although they mentioned depending on which location I was at (they had a few around bkk) the prices were higher at the airport or in city center.

I was limited on time that trip, so had the 1st fitting at the store, a 2nd fitting with the suit made, in the restroom at BKK while changing planes from Siem Reap to HKT, and finally picked up the suit when I came back through bkk.

Great service, especially to meet me at the airport.
Old May 6, 2005, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA: 1ex1K now Prem Plat Life 2MM ; SQ: exPPS
My favourite tailor (for last 5 years since I stopped using Hong Kong tailors) is Lucky Man Fashions .. now in the Ambassador Hotel Plaza (between the hotel ans Sukhumvit Soi 11.... the family are very friendly -- have treated us and our friends really well and have good prices fro good quality (they do not stock the SUPER expensive fabrics but can buy in for you) ... I am still wearing shirts I had made there 5 years ago... and I am rough on them with my travel schedule.

Shop used to be along the big open strip between ambassador and Sukhumvit where the beer bar, etc was (closer to Suk Soi 11/1 ?)-- now pulled down and a lux Serviced Apartment tower going up (opposite Miami or Manhattan hotel next to what was a string of 7 or 8 foot massage places..

Last edited by retrav1K; May 6, 2005 at 5:11 pm
Old May 7, 2005, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by doctajay
The shipping to the US was something that could be improved. Think of your new suit stuffed into a DHL Pak ....
Well... a good suit isn't supposed to wrinkle.

There was an article in the L.A. Times last week about tailors in SE Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.