Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2016, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any upcharge for using the mini van as opposed to the regular sized car?

This is a challenging question to answer. AFAIK, some of the largest metered taxi vehicles are Toyota Innovas (and Fortuners, an SUV-like behemoth), and these are smaller versions of what a westerner might call a "min-van". You may be able to squeeze 4 plus some luggage strapped on the top, a la Beverly Hillbillies style.

Here in Thailand a mini-van is a much larger vehicle, like a Toyota Commuter, which are used to transport up to 9 - 12 people over short/medium (intra-province) distances (aka "death-traps").

Again, AFAIK, any/all metered taxis from the official AoT taxi queue on level 1 charge the same fee of 50 baht.

There has been some talk about increasing the airport taxi fee for larger vehicles (as well as regular taxis), but I do not believe that this has been implemented. Some enterprising drivers have tried to up-charge, but a few have been shamed on social media. There has also been talk about have additional per bag fees.

You could get a real AoT mini-van for 1,200.

http://suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/115-limousine
Old May 21, 2016, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BANGKOK: Four American tourists are in hospital after the taxi that picked them up at Suvarnabhumi airport overturned when it hit a break down truck.

They were on their way to a downtown Bangkok hotel.

The 62 year old driver who was also injured said he fell asleep at the wheel.

Police called to the scene of the accident on Route 7 into Bangkok at Lat Krabang found a highway police break down truck on the left of the road and an overturned taxi some 100 meters further down the road.

The driver and four tourists who were heading for a Bangkok hotel were given emergency treatment at the scene before being taken to Wipharam Hospital.

Tawee Thongsuknork, the driver of the taxi, told police that he was in a central lane and fell asleep at the wheel causing him to lose control and hit the breakdown truck that was parked on the hard shoulder. The taxi then flipped and came to rest further down the road.

Police said that the highway vehicle was on duty preparing the road for a procession that was due along the route.

Police have initially charged the taxi driver with negligent driving causing injury to others as they await the results of other checks.

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/623360
Attached Images  
Old May 21, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Duplicate

Last edited by estnet; May 21, 2016 at 7:59 pm
Old May 21, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
WOW I'm amazed that the driver could talk after that I wouldn't have thought anyone survived that crash, especially given the lack of seat belts inmost taxi's.
Old May 21, 2016, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WOW I'm amazed that the driver could talk after

Maybe the airbag helped, or the fact that he was asleep and relaxed?

The vehicle looks like a Toyota Innova, a "compact" min-van, which always look quite top-heavy and unstable when I see them screaming past me at 150 Kph, diving into the breakdown lane to overtake us normal folk.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
The vehicle looks like a Toyota Innova, a "compact" min-van, which always look quite top-heavy and unstable when I see them screaming past me at 150 Kph, diving into the breakdown lane to overtake us normal folk.
Nothing special about the Innova in that area, is there?

The rule of the road there seems to be if there's empty space, I can occupy it. And if you need to, you move over a little bit so they can fit without hitting anybody else.

Apparently you don't like the Innova or the Fortuner. We know a lot about things you don't like. haha.

-David
Old May 27, 2016, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cabbie nabbed for allegedly assaulting and robbing a tourist

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver was arrested in Bangkok on Monday for allegedly assaulting and robbing a Turkish female tourist in Prachin Buri’s Kabin Buri district on May 18.

The cabbie, Mr Watchara Thanoi, was nabbed at his lodging in Paholyothin Soi 48 in Bangkhen district together with a laptop and a passport belonging to the victim.

According to police, the tourist hailed the taxi driven by Mr Watchara at Don Meuang airport to take her to Aranyaprathet on May 18. The taxi fare was agreed at 2,000 baht with a condition that the tourist must pay for the gas.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/164508
Old May 31, 2016, 6:53 am

We recently visited Mum who lives down south in a small village,Mae Lan which is about 20 minutes from Yala.
After a chat with the wife who wanted to catch a van Hat Yai to somewhere near Mae Lan cost for two people 600 baht, drops you off at the roadside no other transport from there and fair way from the village.No way are we taking a van so after a quick search found Hat Yai taxi service,quote was 1800 baht for the 2 hour twenty minute journey.
Driver nice steady pace and very safe arrived after getting lost once with no other dramas.
Arranged to be picked up from Mae Lan return to Hat Yai airport 10 am a week later he arrived at the village 09:55 nice safe return journey same price 1800 baht.
We did phone the limo service at Hat Yai airport the quote was 4000 baht one way.
Anyone looking for a reliable taxi service in Hat Yai might want to give them a try.

http://www.hatyaitaxi.com/

Last edited by tg911; May 31, 2016 at 8:53 am
Old May 31, 2016, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Yesterday, Uber to BKK from Hyatt was 300B + 25 for tolls.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:34 am

I should have used Uber!

I caught a taxi from Silom to the airport last week and it cost 400 on the meter + 70 tolls :/

I don't know if this was a scam as it took close to two hours to get to the airport, as the traffic was horrendous (we left the hotel a few minutes before 5pm).
Old May 31, 2016, 12:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

It took you only 2 hours? That's not bad. Once I left from Silom back to Bangna at 6pm and we've got to our hotel after 8pm. And from Bangna to the airport is another 20 minutes without the traffic.
Old May 31, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelDream
I should have used Uber!

I caught a taxi from Silom to the airport last week and it cost 400 on the meter + 70 tolls :/

I don't know if this was a scam as it took close to two hours to get to the airport, as the traffic was horrendous (we left the hotel a few minutes before 5pm).
UBER here has surge pricing, which many locals have been complaining about. UBER likely would have taken as long, or longer including initial wait time.

It doesn't sound like a scam, and if it was, you got scammed for ~ 20 baht at most. 400 baht on the meter sounds reasonable, given the per minute "traffic" surcharge when traveling less than 6 kph.

The tolls are what they are.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transpac
UBER here has surge pricing, which many locals have been complaining about. UBER likely would have taken as long, or longer including initial wait time.
Uber (everywhere) has surge pricing at times - and other times doesn't. What's the point?

Have you actually taken Uber or just playing devil's advocate?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Yesterday, Uber to BKK from Hyatt was 300B + 25 for tolls.
what happened to the flat rate pricing for the airports?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
what happened to the flat rate pricing for the airports?
They quoted me 375... turned out it was 300. Then, later, we were additionally billed 25 from tolls; we entered past Rama 9 (and the driver failed to correctly add this onto the bill initially).

The 375 quote was toll inclusive apparently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.