Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Allvest
Should be snow in Thailand before I fly in or out of DMK. I can't stand the low cost crowds.
I agree. I rarely use it. Had to fly to Hat Yai a couple of months ago and the best flights were through DMK.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:19 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat

Last edited by seanthepilot; Nov 22, 2015 at 8:55 pm
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I would pose that because you don't use it, you don't realize how good it actually is.

I'm currently pumping in about 60-70 flights through DMK a year. It's closer, less of a hassle for me to check-in, pass security, and board. The food options are quite varied airside. DMKs working for me! I'm as surprised as anyone.
For me it would be a regional option only but most my travel is international connections in J.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:16 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Unfortunately, the taxi situation at DMK sucks.

Public transportation out from the Airport isn't bad though.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:04 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Do tell. In case I try to go somewhere during my trip.

Arriving BKK on TG later this month; Airport Link to town, as usual But may try to squeeze in a quick trip on an LCC @:-)
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:46 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Unfortunately, the taxi situation at DMK sucks.

I recall getting a public bus a few minutes northeast (by foot) of Pantip Plaza (the bus stop was roughly in front of a more ho-hum mall).

You can also take a commuter rail to DMK.

Both stop right across from the terminal.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:20 pm

A1 bus to Morchit BTS leaves every 20 mins in front of Entrance 7. I use it during the evening clusterf*ck. Many taxis won't take you into Bangkok then.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
The ones outside CentralWorld were charging a 35 THB GrabTaxi charge last time I was there
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
Might have been 25 baht, but yes. The regular taxi rank had been rebranded as a GrabTaxi rank, and the attendant made sure I knew there would be extra to pay on top of flag fall and standard fare. As far as I could see, all the taxis in the rank had GrabTaxi stickers on them.
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
While I haven't seen the GrabTaxi stand at Central World, it is in operation at Bumrungrad. To get a taxi you have to take a number and they hand you a GrabTaxi slip.
This is increasingly common throughout the central business district. It's even happening at some of the major hotels, as well. E.g., Conrad is now a Grab Taxi partner with a branded podium. It's due to the complete inability to get metered taxis to enter the drives when the properties' taxi flags are showing, especially during peak times or high demand (rain, etc.).

Well worth the 25 THB surcharge IMHO. Cars are cleaner, drivers are more civil, overall better experience.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
You can also take a commuter rail to DMK.

Both stop right across from the terminal.
Hm, that sounds interesting. Was that there when DMK was still BKK? Don't recall that.

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
A1 bus to Morchit BTS leaves every 20 mins in front of Entrance 7. I use it during the evening clusterf*ck. Many taxis won't take you into Bangkok then.
Going to Morchit was my daytime approach to the old BKK, only I didn't know about bus and took a taxi.

One time I saw a (I think, maybe) Japanese couple with luggage getting off at the end of Skytrain and ended up sharing a cab with them to old BKK, but they didn't accept my part of fare.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
This is increasingly common throughout the central business district. It's even happening at some of the major hotels, as well. E.g., Conrad is now a Grab Taxi partner with a branded podium. It's due to the complete inability to get metered taxis to enter the drives when the properties' taxi flags are showing, especially during peak times or high demand (rain, etc.).

Well worth the 25 THB surcharge IMHO. Cars are cleaner, drivers are more civil, overall better experience.
Question about GrabTaxi. I downloaded the app and signed up for it some months ago. I figured if I ever have a problem flagging down a taxi I'll use them. Never had that happen, so I've never actually used it.

Got a message from GrabTaxi a few days ago. Said my account has been disabled because of "suspicious activity". I used their appeal form to ask what's going on but they haven't replied.

Anyone know if they cancel the app if you don't use it regularly? Or what else could be happening?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today's Bangkok Taxi News...

Taxi driver rejects, stabs complaining passenger

A Bangkok man is seeking justice after he was allegedly stabbed by a taxi driver for complaining about getting rejected.

Facebook user Bee Anuchit posted photos of his severe wounds after he was allegedly attacked by a cabbie outside Wonder World Fun Park on Kanchanaphisek road on Sunday night.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/1...ning-passenger

Bangkok taxi driver assaults woman

In Thai TV soap operas there is usually at least one scene nightly on all 3 networks of a man whuppin' a woman. It's always her fault, amazingly enough.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Hm, that sounds interesting. Was that there when DMK was still BKK? Don't recall that.
The northern SRT lines run past DMK. Back in 2005 I ended a trip coming from the north and alighted at the Don Mueang Station to catch my flight back to the US.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Question about GrabTaxi. I downloaded the app and signed up for it some months ago. I figured if I ever have a problem flagging down a taxi I'll use them. Never had that happen, so I've never actually used it.

Got a message from GrabTaxi a few days ago. Said my account has been disabled because of "suspicious activity". I used their appeal form to ask what's going on but they haven't replied.

Anyone know if they cancel the app if you don't use it regularly? Or what else could be happening?
I also got the same message, haven't ever used the app except,once or twice to get an estimate. The app, however seems to still be working (although I haven't actually used it for an actual booking_I'm in Malaysia where Uber seems more popular) I wonder if their site was hacked?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:55 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I am in and out of DMK a few times a week. Lately the official taxi queue lines are long, rarely less than 100 people deep. Last friday the line wound around the stairs and back another 100 meters. There had to be 200 to 300 people in line. I fail to see a decrease in visitors.
Arrived DMK to find a taxi queue of 200-300 people last night, and opted to pay for a limousine (have a cold and was in no mood to stand in the line for hours, or walk to the Amari). Out of curiosity, how long does it take to get to the front of that line?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by jpdx
Arrived DMK to find a taxi queue of 200-300 people last night, and opted to pay for a limousine (have a cold and was in no mood to stand in the line for hours, or walk to the Amari). Out of curiosity, how long does it take to get to the front of that line?
Perhaps next time go up to 4th floor, no queues and usually plenty of drivers dropping off passengers who are eager not to ride back empty. After 11PM it may take a bit longer but will beat the 200-300 people waiting in the queue downstairs.

Also there are no turnstiles that you find at BKK if traveling with lots of luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.