Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:31 am

Police defend arrest over body armour

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nati...-30267433.html

"Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai confirmed that the photographer had been released.

He said he was told that the lensman might not have been aware that such military gear could not be used without a proper licence.

This case should be a lesson for everyone to be more careful and learn about other countries' rules, rather than doing things based on one's assumption of what is right or wrong, he said."
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Berserk elephant kills mahout, runs away with Chinese tourists on its back

The incident happened late today at an elephant camp in Mae Wang district of Chiang Mai as a tour coach dropped a group of Chinese tourists at the camp for a jungle tour on elephant back.

The mahout then intervened and tried to calm it down. With no success, the elephant turned on the mahout and gored him to death with its tusks.

Other tourists seeing the incident then ran for their lives.The crazy elephant ran into the jungle with the family on its back.

The fate of tourists on its back is still unknown

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ber...ts-on-its-back

Terrified tourists rescued from killer jumbo

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...m-killer-jumbo
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:46 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
New Copyright law affects social media violations too...

http://www.pkfthailand.asia/news-and...u-need-to-know
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Does anyone know hours of the 'new' currency exchange kiosks (Superrich, Value+, Yenjit) at Suvarnabhumi? I believe they're at the lower level near ARL.

My flight gets in at 2230.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by kamaaina
Does anyone know hours of the 'new' currency exchange kiosks (Superrich, Value+, Yenjit) at Suvarnabhumi? I believe they're at the lower level near ARL.

My flight gets in at 2230.
There's a Superrich in the BKK basement now?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
There's a Superrich in the BKK basement now?
That's what I've read; note it's SuperRich1965 that still has good rates.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:02 pm

That's what I've read; note it's SuperRich1965 that still has good rates.
The one's in Chidlom ? They are a bit of a walk from BTS. I only go there to change big cake. The one in BKK sounds great, especially if taking ARL.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
The one's in Chidlom ? They are a bit of a walk from BTS. I only go there to change big cake. The one in BKK sounds great, especially if taking ARL.
Just found this posting with the exchange operating hours.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Just found this posting with the exchange operating hours.
The link to orange superich on that site doesn't work but they can be found here.

The rates posted are likely to be similar to their sub-branch listings but still fall short (at the moment by 0.14 Baht/USD) of that posted by Superrich (green). And Value+ is 0.05 Baht/USD lower.

The rates are certainly better than any other kiosk in the airport, and they may represent value depending where in Bangkok you're staying and the cost/time it would take reach the main branch. Of course in concert with how much you plan on exchanging.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:12 pm

Watch out when leaving Superich ! Chinese pickpockets caught at ARL in the basement of BKK. Link: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...t-airport-link

Last edited by whackyjacky; Sep 7, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:26 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
The good 'ol boy's network is at it again: Dr Wyn Ellis, British academic, detained in Thailand as a threat to "national security" after exposing official as plagiarist

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-sou...wales-34177852

In 2008, Dr Ellis complained to Thailand’s elite Chulalongkorn University after he noticed that a dissertation submitted by Supachai Lorlowhakarn, the then director of Thailand's National Innovation Agency (NIA), had largely been copied from a report he had written for the country’s International Trade Centre.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

36.15 today.

Watch out when leaving Superich ! Chinese pickpockets caught at ARL in the basement of BKK. Link: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...t-airport-link
You should also be alert when using the changers (superrich, 3x brands now) in Ratchadamri. Many reports of problems there. The changers have security on the street, but the thieves follow customers until they are farther away to rob them. Whenever I've used one of these changers I go to Bangkok Bank (I have an account there), on the same block (as are a few other banks), and immediately deposit the THB.

Also an increase in pickpockets reported on Thai social media everywhere: BTS, MRT, malls. Keep bags zipped, and as secure as possible. I was on the MRT Friday night at rush hour - had to wait for two trains at Asoke/Sukhumvit traveling towards Bang Sue - totally packed, and so easy to get pick-pocketed.

Last edited by transpac; Sep 7, 2015 at 9:05 pm
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:48 am

Wrap a thick rubber band around your wallet. It makes it tough to remove from your pocket. A cop in Rome taught me that trick a million years ago.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lot of the thefts making the recent social media news involve both Thai and tourist women, open handbags, and iPhones/wallets getting lifted, or outright grabbing of the entire bag.

Some gangs work the foreign male trade, especially on crowded escalators.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Wrap a thick rubber band around your wallet. It makes it tough to remove from your pocket. A cop in Rome taught me that trick a million years ago.
Genius! or just put your wallet in your front pocket. But that annoys me somewhat. Might pick up a large rb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.