Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

24 hours (and a bit) in Bangkok in December, any day trip recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

I'll be staying in Bangkok, Dec 25-26, at the Novotel hotel by the airport, on my way from a resort stay south near Krabi. They have a generous check in/check out policy (i.e. you can check in any time, and check out 24 hours later).

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on the essential one day tour I could do of Bangkok? I found this great site, Bangkok Day Tours, and seem to be spoiled for choice.

If you have only 24 hours in a city like Bangkok, what would you recommend I see to get the essence of Bangkok (with this site, or any others you may recommend)? I'm an open book in this case, and while I don't want to get too touristy, I understand there are some things that are so Bangkok but will also be full of tourists, so I don't mind that.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TravellingBeard; Nov 20, 2014 at 10:00 pm
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingBeard
If you have only 24 hours in a city like Bangkok, what would you recommend
OK, at the risk of sounding snarky (which isn't my intent), ask in Thailand forum

I am sending an alert to Asia moderator who will most likely move this thread or merge it with a similar thread in Thailand forum (she's also Thailand mod), so be patient and do not start a new thread in abovementioned forum
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Hopefully you'll get better advice here in the dedicated Thailand forum.

Also, you might want to take a look at multiple similar threads listed in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...and-forum.html sticky.

~Moderator
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingBeard
I'll be staying in Bangkok, Dec 25-26, at the Novotel hotel by the airport, on my way from a resort stay south near Krabi. They have a generous check in/check out policy (i.e. you can check in any time, and check out 24 hours later).

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on the essential one day tour I could do of Bangkok? I found this great site, Bangkok Day Tours, and seem to be spoiled for choice.

If you have only 24 hours in a city like Bangkok, what would you recommend I see to get the essence of Bangkok (with this site, or any others you may recommend)? I'm an open book in this case, and while I don't want to get too touristy, I understand there are some things that are so Bangkok but will also be full of tourists, so I don't mind that.

Thanks in advance.
I would avoid that site. Prices seem outrageous. You can arrange a tour at the Novotel when you arrive. You can usually find a taxi that you can hire for a day for 3,000 baht or so who will be your driver for the day.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Loy nava river cruise

See web page. Great city views cool sunset n lights ,ok food
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks, I'll definitely check both Taxi and River Cruise options out. Also just found out the Bangkok Day Tours may charge me a bit more because I'm in a "different" zone/province that Bangkok itself.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In case you might not be aware, these days will not be holidays here, so traffic might be a consideration?

What kinds of things do you like to do?

If you don't want to head into town there are some nearby suburban options:

Suan Luang Rama 9 Park
Erawan Museum
Ancient City
A shopping mall (Seacon, Mega Bang Na), both of which have some great Thai food-court food, and Thai sit-down restaurants: a recommendation would be Tum Tum. Seacon even has "replica" markets.
Wat Bang Phli Yai Nai - a nice temple on a small river/khlong, with a very cool market.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
In case you might not be aware, these days will not be holidays here, so traffic might be a consideration?

What kinds of things do you like to do?

If you don't want to head into town there are some nearby suburban options:

Suan Luang Rama 9 Park
Erawan Museum
Ancient City
A shopping mall (Seacon, Mega Bang Na), both of which have some great Thai food-court food, and Thai sit-down restaurants: a recommendation would be Tum Tum. Seacon even has "replica" markets.
Wat Bang Phli Yai Nai - a nice temple on a small river/khlong, with a very cool market.
As it's only a day, temples and river markets. I assume the concierge would best be able to help there?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
If it's your first time then you probably wanna focus on the river, as you can see the Grand Palace, Wat Po, Wat Arun and charter a longboat to go through the Thonburi klongs all within a small area. Optionally there's also Khao San Road and the Temple Mount within walking distance or Chinatown via the river taxi. The non-car way to do it is the airport link to the Skytrain to Sathorn pier (Saphan Taksin) on the river and then the river taxis, but that may be too error-prone a plan for a novice. With hiring a car taxi for the day you're vulnerable to lost time from traffic snarls, and you always want to take tollways where offered even though they'll add a bit to cost. Don't believe anyone who says the Grand Palace is closed, and definitely don'tgo to any jewelry shops no matter how highly recommended they may be.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RustyC
If it's your first time then you probably wanna focus on the river, as you can see the Grand Palace, Wat Po, Wat Arun and charter a longboat to go through the Thonburi klongs all within a small area. Optionally there's also Khao San Road and the Temple Mount within walking distance or Chinatown via the river taxi. The non-car way to do it is the airport link to the Skytrain to Sathorn pier (Saphan Taksin) on the river and then the river taxis, but that may be too error-prone a plan for a novice. With hiring a car taxi for the day you're vulnerable to lost time from traffic snarls, and you always want to take tollways where offered even though they'll add a bit to cost. Don't believe anyone who says the Grand Palace is closed, and definitely don'tgo to any jewelry shops no matter how highly recommended they may be.
Thanks RustyC...hmmm, food for thought. Yes, the river does appeal to me. I'm not much of a nightclub person, so any night-time cultural stuff would be more appealing for me as well.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so any night-time cultural stuff would be more appealing for me as well.

Many cultural sights will be closed after ~ 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM, including the Grand Palace, and Wat Phu Khao Thong (Temple of the Golden Mount).

FYI, I mentioned a shopping mall, two of which are close to SBIA/BKK. There is a really great Night Market immediately behind Seacon Square (Srinakarin Road), called the Railway Night Market (Talad Rot Fai), which might be interesting?

http://www.talatrotfai.com/

Last edited by transpac; Nov 23, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.