Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

BKK transfer from airport to city hotels

Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, AA Gold

Hello,
Hoping for some good advice from the FT community.
My wife and I are traveling to CNX later this month. We have short overnights in Bangkok on both ends of the trip. We arrive into BKK at 2400 on a Saturday night and are staying at the Sheraton Grande Sukumvit, then on our return arrive into BKK at 1500 on a Friday afternoon with a departure the next morning at 0700, staying at the Banyan Tree.
From everything I've read, it sounds like it makes the most sense (e.g. a good balance between comfort and price) to hire an AOT Camry at the airport. We don't have a ton of luggage but what we do have is relatively heavy so I'm a little concerned about taking a train. Can I also book an AOT Camry from the hotel? Perhaps a taxi would be a good alternative back to the airport?
Thanks very much
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
You may not be able to book specifically an AOT Camry from the hotel, but they will certainly have a "limo service" that will provide the equivalent service, probably at a comparable price.

Every hotel I've stayed in in Bangkok has such service available, without exception.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:14 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Pretty sure train is off the table anyway, as you arrive too late and depart too early - at least that's always been my experience.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I have always used these

http://www.orientalescape.com/thaila...r/bangkok.html

Reliable and friendly drivers
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
IMO no need to take the overpriced AOT limo service. The cheapest option would be to take a taxi/cab. At least from the hotel to the airport it would also be the easiest option. When you enter the taxi insist that the driver uses the meter rather than giving you fixed fare.

Upon upon arriaval, you need to find the taxi stand on level 2 (not difficult at all). The fare to city should around 300 THB + 50 THB airport fee + high way tolls 65 THB (the latter to be handed over to the driver during driving)

There is plenty on info in this forum about taking taxi from the airport.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by zarkov505
You may not be able to book specifically an AOT Camry from the hotel, but they will certainly have a "limo service" that will provide the equivalent service, probably at a comparable price.

Every hotel I've stayed in in Bangkok has such service available, without exception.
Hotel limo services are typically ridiculously overpriced. You'll pay double what a car service will charge.

I use S&P Limo sometimes. Good service, nice cars. www.splimousine.com I think their prices are similar to AOT.

But for sure a taxi is the cheapest option, especially at the time of day you will be traveling.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by nycguy
Hello,
Hoping for some good advice from the FT community.
My wife and I are traveling to CNX later this month. We have short overnights in Bangkok on both ends of the trip. We arrive into BKK at 2400 on a Saturday night and are staying at the Sheraton Grande Sukumvit, then on our return arrive into BKK at 1500 on a Friday afternoon with a departure the next morning at 0700, staying at the Banyan Tree.
From everything I've read, it sounds like it makes the most sense (e.g. a good balance between comfort and price) to hire an AOT Camry at the airport. We don't have a ton of luggage but what we do have is relatively heavy so I'm a little concerned about taking a train. Can I also book an AOT Camry from the hotel? Perhaps a taxi would be a good alternative back to the airport?
Thanks very much
I use www.limousine.in.th
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Upon upon arriaval, you need to find the taxi stand on level 2 (not difficult at all).
Well it might not be difficult if you directed people to the correct level?

I am fairly certain that the official taxi queue remains on LEVEL 1, which is one level down from LEVEL 2 which is commonly referred to as the ARRIVALS level, on which one clears Immigration, retrieves any checked luggage and clears Customs.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by nycguy
We don't have a ton of luggage but what we do have is relatively heavy so I'm a little concerned about taking a train.
You've considered, and discarded, the train: why not just move up to a taxi? It's good value and incredibly easy to arrange.

I might consider a hotel limo if i felt fragile, but only if I could put it on expenses
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:05 am

Agreed, just grab a cab.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:10 am

Somewhat of a dissenting voice, but I think AOT is fine. 1200 baht for a Camary (or equivalent). Counters right by baggage claim, they walk you right to your car. Never have to worry about booking ahead of time. Drivers have always been reliable, cars have been nice, etc. If you book your return with them at the same time, you get a 25% discount (i know someone mentioned in another thread that this was no longer valid, but it was available last month).

yes, you can find slightly cheaper limo rides or even cheaper taxi. Just for the convenience factor, AOT is worth it for me. Depends upon your price threshhold tolerance.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by eastnortheast
Somewhat of a dissenting voice, but I think AOT is fine. 1200 baht for a Camary (or equivalent). Counters right by baggage claim, they walk you right to your car. Never have to worry about booking ahead of time. Drivers have always been reliable, cars have been nice, etc. If you book your return with them at the same time, you get a 25% discount (i know someone mentioned in another thread that this was no longer valid, but it was available last month).

yes, you can find slightly cheaper limo rides or even cheaper taxi. Just for the convenience factor, AOT is worth it for me. Depends upon your price threshhold tolerance.
Not a dissent in my opinion. I think AOT is a great idea. I use another service so that I get a golf cart as part of the deal. But for most people I think the difference in price between an AOT car and a taxi ($10-15 US) is well, well worth the extra comfort, safety and professionalism of AOT.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:52 pm

1200B vs 300B = "(10 -15 US)" ??? That's $30 of hard earned, cocktail money in my book.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Not a dissent in my opinion. I think AOT is a great idea.
AOT is easy and convenient, no need to set anything up in advance.

-David
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
1200B vs 300B = "(10 -15 US)" ??? That's $30 of hard earned, cocktail money in my book.
800 THB vs 300 THB. Is ~15 USD.

Save you a couple of drinks. Good for your health.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.