Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:25 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
The ATM fee is 150 thb not 500 thb.
Originally Posted by transpac
The ATM fee is 150 thb

Yes, for Visa-logoed cards; 180 THB for MC-logoed cards, as of today.

The fee for cashing each travelers check is 153 THB.
OOOPS,

yup, cofused myself by combining rough equivalent of $5 with three figures in Thai Baht and came up with 500

Thanks for quick correction ^
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The point of this thread was to clarify what "possession" entailed - whether it was cash in hand

For clarification, the regulation requires CASH IN HAND, as in bank notes.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

The point of this thread was to clarify what "possession" entailed - whether it was cash in hand

For clarification, the regulation requires CASH IN HAND, as in bank notes.
Ok, sounds good, thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Originally Posted by arlflyer
That's fine, and if it came down to it I'd certainly carry cash. But, I don't usually walk around with much more than $20 anyhow, and getting cash before arrival means a ripoff at Travelex as opposed to easy fee-free ATM withdrawals. So I just wanted to know if I absolutely had to do it or not.
You are correct that Travelex is an absolute ripoff operation.

You are incorrect in assuming that you must deal with Travelex.

There are currency exchange booths in Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports. There are booths before you get to Immigration, there are booths in the baggage claim areas immediately after immigration, and there are booths in the outer arrivals area after the customs gates. They ALL give the same rate, and it is SLIGHTLY worse than the official exchange rate, but NOTHING like the Travelex ripoff rates. Their rate will be within a few cents of the rate you'll find at most of the exchanges in Bangkok.

Frankly, the ATM fees your bank charges you for will hurt you far more than the few cents the airport rate takes.

I routinely change some money at one of the booths inside the secure area, before I get to Immigration, mainly to make sure I have cab fare and first day necessity shopping and suchlike.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zarkov505
You are correct that Travelex is an absolute ripoff operation.

You are incorrect in assuming that you must deal with Travelex.

There are currency exchange booths in Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports. There are booths before you get to Immigration, there are booths in the baggage claim areas immediately after immigration, and there are booths in the outer arrivals area after the customs gates. They ALL give the same rate, and it is SLIGHTLY worse than the official exchange rate, but NOTHING like the Travelex ripoff rates. Their rate will be within a few cents of the rate you'll find at most of the exchanges in Bangkok.

Frankly, the ATM fees your bank charges you for will hurt you far more than the few cents the airport rate takes.

I routinely change some money at one of the booths inside the secure area, before I get to Immigration, mainly to make sure I have cab fare and first day necessity shopping and suchlike.
Hmm, this is interesting. I thought I had read other posters saying that there was nothing in terms of ability to withdraw/exchange cash before passport control (which is ostensibly where the currency would be checked for if at all). If this is the case then this would not be an issue.

Are there any ATMs in that area as well? My bank reimburses all fees so that would be the obvious solution - I just wasn't considering it because I'd thought that there was nothing available.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think there are at least two currency exchange booths in the ARRIVALS concourse (D) just to either side of the two primary ARRIVING Immigration entry-points. There are are also currency exchange booths at the intersections of Concourses ABCD and DEFG. There are probably ATMs at/near these booths but I am honestly not positive as this is not something I'd normally pay attention to. There are exchange booths in the baggage hall, and outside Customs on level 2. There are fin services scattered all about from level B (train) all the way up to level 4 (Departures), LANDSIDE.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
There is at least one money exchange booth in the Departures concourse.

About a year ago, while doing a forced power walk to make an earlier flight than planned, I stopped briefly to exchange a 100 baht note for two 50s. The plan was to give them to my brother's children, part of an educational assortment of baht.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
I think there are at least two currency exchange booths in the ARRIVALS concourse (D) just to either side of the two primary ARRIVING Immigration entry-points. There are are also currency exchange booths at the intersections of Concourses ABCD and DEFG.
This is correct. The rate at the airport booths are all the same and not very good at all. Exchange only enough to pay for your local transportation in baht to wherever you are going. A week ago when I was departing BKK I remember the exchange rates were right around:

Buying baht: 33.22
Published rate: 32.80
Fee percentage: 1.3%

Selling Baht: 31.42
Published rate: 32.80
Fee percentage: 4.3%

The published rate I get out of the newspaper or from CNBC. The spread is greater when they buy your foreign currency vs. buying baht. I have found the best exchange rates on cash are found using pristine new type $100 USD bills at the arab money changers in the lower Sukhumvit area. Up to 1% better than the bank booths around town.

SunLover
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by SunLover
This is correct. The rate at the airport booths are all the same and not very good at all.
The exception to this is in the basement level proximal to the ARL. Near the (now defunct?) express area is Value+ which is often, but not always, offering the same rate as Superich (green).

There is also a K bank (??) as you make the turn toward the ARL area which has better rates than upstairs, but not as good as Value+.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 2:22 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
The people who were getting asked for proof of funds were visa runners on the Malaysian border which is presumably not the OP.

Seriously, the worst case scenario here is somebody walks you to the ATM to take out cash. Thai Immigration is not CBP. If you don't smell and you arrive with a first world passport with all your forms properly filled out you're already in the top 20% of travelers as far as they're concerned.

I went to BKK two months ago and had the easiest immigration experience I've ever had on my trips there. No tourists means no lines!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:07 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Who says it must be in local currency?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by gailwynand
The people who were getting asked for proof of funds were visa runners on the Malaysian border which is presumably not the OP.

Seriously, the worst case scenario here is somebody walks you to the ATM to take out cash. Thai Immigration is not CBP. If you don't smell and you arrive with a first world passport with all your forms properly filled out you're already in the top 20% of travelers as far as they're concerned.
^^

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Who says it must be in local currency?
You're right. It doesn't. And gailwynand is right. The only time any one will check is if you are doing something or acting in some what where they don't think you can afford to be in Thailand. And given how cheap it is, that's a pretty low bar.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus
Just carry $300 cash. Basta. There's no need to exchange it for baht until you're good and ready to. And you're very soon going to need some baht anyway.
In the unlikely event that the Immigration officer asks, that will satisfy the requirement.
Yes, it's anecdotal but in all the years and all the entries to Thailand neither I, nor anyone else I know from a western industrial country, has ever been asked.
Indian, some other Asia and Eastern European tourists who need Visa on Arrival are sometimes asked to show they have the minimum amount of travel funds.
$300 cash is not a lot of money.
There's a currency exchange booth right by baggage claim. But you'll get a better rate if you wait until you're through customs and you go down to the ARL (Airport Rail Link) level -- the lowest level -- and change your money at Super Rich.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.