Where to buy Thai silk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to buy Thai silk

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
While Jim Thompson is a surefire recommendation, I'd also be tempted to hunt for a good bargain at the Chatuchak weekend market.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by canred
Their factory outlet is on Sukhumvit Soi 93. It is about 500 meters from the Bang Chak BTS station.
Link to the factory outlet page. The main store is at 9 Surawong Road in Silom, up the Street from LM. I was there a few weeks ago, -- great store, pretty big, with a wide variety of merchandise and a JT Café. They also have silk yard goods there and a few cottons, too. Nothing is cheap, though.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Try one of H.M. Royal Silk Factories?

Sure you can find cheaper squares at JJ (probably imported from a foreign factory)...

You would get a much better product looking for silk at one of H.M. Royal Silk Factories. You would be buying a quality product while providing a living wage for someone. I know there's a factory just a little ways up Sukhumvit Soi 39.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat/ UA Gold/ Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DirtyDan
Sure you can find cheaper squares at JJ (probably imported from a foreign factory)...

You would get a much better product looking for silk at one of H.M. Royal Silk Factories. You would be buying a quality product while providing a living wage for someone. I know there's a factory just a little ways up Sukhumvit Soi 39.
Thanks. I will be going there tomorrow or day after. Do you know if they accept cards? And what kinda prices are we looking at for a square? At JT shop in central world they are priced between 300-450 baht.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Mrs. Dirty just picked up 3 for me and they were 100Bt each. Not super big puffy ones (maybe 11"x11"), and the selection wasn't great... but worth looking at before heading to the Jim Thompson.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are a bit adventurous I might suggest Pahurat Market.

This is a gigantic market, with a focus on fabric, and is a typical Thai market made up of a warren of tiny alley-ways and a gazillion shops, bordered by Pahurat, Chakphet and Triphet Roads.

I did find this link for the HM Silk Factory, the HM standing for Home Made rather some Royal designation:

http://www.hmfactory-thaisilk.com/br...y_thaisilk.pdf

Last edited by transpac; Nov 10, 2014 at 8:17 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Seeking reasonably priced silk wraps and pashminas. I'm going to check out H.M. Factory and head out to the Jim Thompson outlet to see what they have, although I feel that even JT's outlet prices are too high.

Anybody have anything new to recommend before I go hunting and gathering?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DirtyDan

I couldn't find anything when exactly matching "H.M. Royal Silk Factory". Is http://hmfactory-thaisilk.com/ the same?

Looking to get some gifts for my wife while here in BKK a quick trip and figured some Thai silk wraps or things would be nice for her. Just trying to figure out where to go. Will be staying at Renaissance so anything close to there, or with easy directions/access from there, would be appreciated.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Walk across the street (diagonally from your hotel) to the gigantic Central World shopping center; there is a Jim Thompson store there.

http://shopping.centralworld.co.th/d...cw&lang=en#409

Jim Thompson
Art and Antique
The Thai Silk Company Limited, the manufacturer and distributor of Jim Thompson products, was established in 1951 by Mr. Jim Thompson, and American with a passion for Thai silk. Through continuous improvement of quality and production methods, the company

1st Level
No
E101_E102
Tel.
02-613-1452-54, 080-5593024

While not silk related, Na Ra Ya might have some decent options?

http://www.naraya.com/

http://shopping.centralworld.co.th/d...cw&lang=en#254

1st Level
No
B106, B107
Tel.
02-2559-522

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.