Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Flights to Kuala Lumpur/Phuket - websites for discounts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

We are hoping to go to Thailand next April. We have a Malaysian friend, so we are thinking IAD to Kuala Lumpur for a few days, then on to Phuket from there.

The problem is that my husband cannot sleep on planes if he can't lay down. We travel a lot and he has tried everything. This is bad enough when we go to Europe or S.A., but with 24 hours to travel, it would be a nightmare.

So I am thinking that we'll get one business class ticket (with seats that go fully flat) and 1 coach ticket, but of course the business class tickets are very expensive.

Any inside tips on where I should look to get the best deal?

Thanks,
K
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:09 am

Superstitious types are afraid to ride on MH right now. They're hurting and their prices are excellent. From KUL-HKT look at Air Asia.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I will take a look at both...
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, they are the same price (JFK-KUL) as others are from IAD to KUL, and I'd have to get to NY first.

Any other thoughts? Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Business class tickets from the USA in lie-flats are typically not cheap if you're paying cash. There really isn't any way around this (the occasional business class fare sale notwithstanding).

The most cost-effective way of doing this (assuming you are based in the USA and can apply for credit cards) is through either generating miles through multiple credit card applications or through manufactured spend (there's an entire forum dedicated to this topic on FT).

Alternately, you can purchase miles. Alaska Airlines, Avianca and US Airways are selling miles for approximately 1.5-2 cents per mile, making a round trip in business class approximately $2000-2500 US per person, a first class trip around $3000 or more.

(Note that US Airways and Avianca require pre-existing accounts in order to buy miles, you cannot just sign up to immediately buy miles. The US Airways account needs to be 12 days old, and the Avianca account must have existed prior to the sale's announce date of 9/2).

Finally, the Mileage Run forum contains "Good Deals" thread for economy and premium class fares that may help you.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:16 pm

Sorry about MH, I read that they had some crazy fares on one of the blogs, but I just read the title. http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irlines-fares/ I'd keep looking at them though. They've got to be getting desperate.Check this thread a couple Xs a week: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...es-2014-a.html There was a $2600 J fare on Air India (if you want to take your life in your hands ). Great deals from Europe to SEA up front, but nothing from NA lately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.