Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Alcohol sales restricted to certain hours?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:29 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

7-11 near Grand President hotel Sol 11 not only take cash only but also time frame the sale of beer(11-2p and 5-12p). Is this normal for Bkk?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Was there an EFT pad? I was at the 7-11 by the Swissotel Concord / Emerald and it looked like they took credit. I didn't try though
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
The beer sale hours have been around for a long time, but I never had any problem buying at any time of the day or night at most convenience stores including that very 7-11 many times. Maybe now as part of the 'crackdown', they are enforcing it more? I don't remember ever trying to use a credit/debit card at a 7-11 in Thailand so no idea about that.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:56 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starblazer
Was there an EFT pad? I was at the 7-11 by the Swissotel Concord / Emerald and it looked like they took credit. I didn't try though
Yes there was but no way to slide card.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:00 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by braslvr
The beer sale hours have been around for a long time, but I never had any problem buying at any time of the day or night at most convenience stores including that very 7-11 many times. Maybe now as part of the 'crackdown', they are enforcing it more? I don't remember ever trying to use a credit/debit card at a 7-11 in Thailand so no idea about that.
Both beer doors were signed as no sale and tied so they couldn't open unless untied. Employee was prompt at 11a
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:55 am

Alcohol law has been around for years but enforcement varies.

Wholesale purchases are still permitted so buy in bulk.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Mom and pop shops will sell you any booze any time of the day. The more corporate places, and 7-11 are among those, seem to have the register locked for beer/booze purchases during the off hours.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 1000k00
Maybe they're set up to take the newer chip style cards rather the ones with the slide. Most cards from Europe and Australia use the chip.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Starblazer
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Maybe they're set up to take the newer chip style cards rather the ones with the slide. Most cards from Europe and Australia use the chip.
There is usually a device next to the register that is used to print credit slips for mobile phone top ups. It may look like a credit EFT type device, but it is not.

I dont believe 7-11 accepts credit cards...and honestly wouldn't expect them to.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:24 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodeats21
There is usually a device next to the register that is used to print credit slips for mobile phone top ups. It may look like a credit EFT type device, but it is not.

I dont believe 7-11 accepts credit cards...and honestly wouldn't expect them to.
I obviously expected them to accept as I waited over 1/2 hr to purchase beer. On Long Island at 7-11 using a CC is 2nd nature to me.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I obviously expected them to accept as I waited over 1/2 hr to purchase beer. On Long Island at 7-11 using a CC is 2nd nature to me.
True, but on Long Island I bet you can't get a bottle of water for 7 baht. LOL

As mentioned above, if you don't want to wait to purchase beer just exit the 7-11 and take a walk down the street. You will find a "mom and pop" convenience type shop in short order. They will sell to you regardless of the time.

They won't take credit cards either, though.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:37 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

As mentioned above, if you don't want to wait to purchase beer just exit the 7-11 and take a walk down the street. You will find a "mom and pop" convenience type shop in short order. They will sell to you regardless of the time.
Don't think they accept Bahn on LI

The mom and pop shops will also sell you alcohol during elections, at least they did when I was there last time and arrived at a rather inconvenient time

This was before the coup.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
On LI you can drink tap water. Never understood why anyone paid for it.

They won't take credit cards either, though.
Walk down the street and you're bound to find another 7-11 within a 5 min walk!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:56 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
7-11s are tough about booze in the afternoons and after midnight. But, there is a Family Mart on Soi 1 that has been known to be more lenient. Also a shop on Soi 15 near Suk.

My friends usually just grab a bottle at Suvarnabhumi after landing (Samut Prakhan isn't as finicky as Bangkok province).

As for Cash only... Yes. Neither 7/11 or Family Mart take cards, but Lotus and Big C do.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
On LI you can drink tap water. Never understood why anyone paid for it.
NY tap water? Uhmm...no thank you.

I would just as soon drink Chang...probably tastes about the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.