Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Alcohol sales restricted to certain hours?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alcohol sales restricted to certain hours?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the past few years any bars loosely affiliated with a hotel have been allowed to open on both Macha Bucha and Wisaka Bucha. For example, all the bars bordering the Raja Hotel car park on Sukhumvit Soi 4.

That said, evidently there was a meeting at Lumpini Police station last evening and (again a rumor) bars in the Nana area may have to close at 12 midnight (instead of 02:00) for the next two weeks. My guess is also that everything will be closed today except perhaps bars within western-oriented hotels. And I'd expect even the mom/pop shops to much more carefully observe the ban at least until people get a feel for the sincerity of the RTP on this matter.

http://www.stickboybangkok.com/news/...ana-area-bars/

Lots of things changing here, and increasing societal conflict bubbling up - not surprising given the suppression, with even religious issues arising. Even a dust-up with the Cambodians might be in the cards to whip up nationalism?

edited to add:

MOPH making sure alcohol sale ban is observed on Makha Bucha

BANGKOK, 4 March 2015 (NNT) – Relevant agencies have been asked to stringently enforce the ban on liquor sale on Makha Bucha Day, said Minister of Public Health Prof. Dr. Rajata Rajatanavin.

According to Dr. Rajata, the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act, BE 2551 prohibits the sale of alcohol on Makha Bucha Day. He also noted that End of Buddhist Lent has very recently been added as one of the days in which alcohol sales are banned.

To ensure that the ban is enforced, Dr. Rajata said the public health offices nationwide and provincial governors have been asked to stringently ensure compliance with the law, meaning that no alcoholic beverages are allowed to be sold, either in retail or wholesale form. The police force has also been asked to help monitor against any breaching of the law. Public Health Ministry officials will also be making random inspections.

The ban is effective throughout the entire 24 hours of March 4. Violators may be subjected to a maximum of six months imprisonment and up to 10,000 baht fine; or both.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/...C5803040010003

Last edited by transpac; Mar 3, 2015 at 9:09 pm
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by transpac
In the past few years any bars loosely affiliated with a hotel have been allowed to open on both Macha Bucha and Wisaka Bucha. For example, all the bars bordering the Raja Hotel car park on Sukhumvit Soi 4.

That said, evidently there was a meeting at Lumpini Police station last evening and (again a rumor) bars in the Nana area may have to close at 12 midnight (instead of 02:00) for the next two weeks. My guess is also that everything will be closed today except perhaps bars within western-oriented hotels. And I'd expect even the mom/pop shops to much more carefully observe the ban at least until people get a feel for the sincerity of the RTP on this matter.

http://www.stickboybangkok.com/news/...ana-area-bars/

Lots of things changing here, and increasing societal conflict bubbling up - not surprising given the suppression, with even religious issues arising. Even a dust-up with the Cambodians might be in the cards to whip up nationalism?

edited to add:

MOPH making sure alcohol sale ban is observed on Makha Bucha

BANGKOK, 4 March 2015 (NNT) – Relevant agencies have been asked to stringently enforce the ban on liquor sale on Makha Bucha Day, said Minister of Public Health Prof. Dr. Rajata Rajatanavin.

According to Dr. Rajata, the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act, BE 2551 prohibits the sale of alcohol on Makha Bucha Day. He also noted that End of Buddhist Lent has very recently been added as one of the days in which alcohol sales are banned.

To ensure that the ban is enforced, Dr. Rajata said the public health offices nationwide and provincial governors have been asked to stringently ensure compliance with the law, meaning that no alcoholic beverages are allowed to be sold, either in retail or wholesale form. The police force has also been asked to help monitor against any breaching of the law. Public Health Ministry officials will also be making random inspections.

The ban is effective throughout the entire 24 hours of March 4. Violators may be subjected to a maximum of six months imprisonment and up to 10,000 baht fine; or both.
I was at the JWM earlier today. Signs all over the place that the bars are closed in the hotel and no alcohol in the restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.