Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

I'm Pregnant - Any Issues at Thai Immigration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I'm currently pregnant and will be heading to BKK for a short holiday in October. I will be 28 weeks pregnant then. The airlines are very clear on their policies regarding flying for pregnant women, however, it's not so clear at the immigration end.

Apparently, there are some countries which imposed certain restrictions regarding expectant mothers of other nationalities from entering their nation.
(Eg. Hong Kong for PRC expecting mothers)

I am wondering if there is such a rule in place for Thailand? I cannot find any information on this on the Thai immigration website, hence am turning to the always reliable FT for help on this, from the official word, or from your experiences. I want to confirm this before I purchase my tickets.

Thanks.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SQ319
Hi guys,

I'm currently pregnant and will be heading to BKK for a short holiday in October. I will be 28 weeks pregnant then. The airlines are very clear on their policies regarding flying for pregnant women, however, it's not so clear at the immigration end.

Apparently, there are some countries which imposed certain restrictions regarding expectant mothers of other nationalities from entering their nation.
(Eg. Hong Kong for PRC expecting mothers)

I am wondering if there is such a rule in place for Thailand? I cannot find any information on this on the Thai immigration website, hence am turning to the always reliable FT for help on this, from the official word, or from your experiences. I want to confirm this before I purchase my tickets.

Thanks.
Some countries make this restriction because they have Immigration policies that say a child born on their soil is automatically a citizen (US for example). Thailand has no such policy. And no restrictions. Don't worry.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some countries also have restrictions because otherwise they would have to pay for medical care if the birth takes place in their country, including costly care for premature babies.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
My wife didn't have any problems at all a couple of years go at the immigration while being pregnant
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Passport holders from some countries are more likely to be scrutinized than others, regardless of things like appearing "very" pregnant. I've never heard of this being a specific issue in TH, but why not play it safe? Being able to show proof of international medical coverage, including evacuation insurance, can help smooth over any potential problems in this regard. It's something you should certainly have when traveling this far along in your pregnancy anyway.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I would be stunned to hear about any kind of pregnancy-related restriction or scrutiny of any kind at Thai immigration.

Entering Thailand is a rather casual affair for folks in the visa-free entry category (crackdowns notwithstanding).
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
... evacuation insurance....
I never understood why more people don't do this. It's cheap (I pay something like $300/year) and, IMO, worth every penny should you need it. I use MedJet Assist. I've never had to be evacuated, but they also have docs standing by if you want to talk to an American doc for advice, opinion, etc. It's included in the service. (They're based in Louisiana, IIRC.) I've used them a couple of times, once when I was hospitalized at Bumrungrad for food poisoning and once when I was at B'grad as an outpatient when I broke my foot. When I was hospitalized at B'grad, it was for three days. I called MedJet Assist on the first day to let them know what was going on. They called me twice daily and one of their docs also spoke with my Thai doc at B'grad a couple of times. I was both pleased and impressed with the service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.