Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Search - NYC to BKK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Flight Search - NYC to BKK

I am traveling on a tight budget, being paid by the government, so I have limited ability to do certain things... I can spend about $1500 for a coach ticket, but given the 22+ hour flight, would love to be able to get an upgraded ticket to Economy-plus or Business class. I don't mind spending $1000 out of my own pocket, or 100,000 miles or so for the upgrade... My travel dates are Sep 21-Sep 25...

Currently I see lots of tickets for $1200-$1500 on Kayak and other online sites, but I am looking for a consolidator with expertise in Asia to find me a cheap Premium Economy or Business class... Any help is super appreciated
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:12 pm

Does the government require you to fly a US airline?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kk405
I am traveling on a tight budget, being paid by the government, so I have limited ability to do certain things... I can spend about $1500 for a coach ticket, but given the 22+ hour flight, would love to be able to get an upgraded ticket to Economy-plus or Business class. I don't mind spending $1000 out of my own pocket, or 100,000 miles or so for the upgrade... My travel dates are Sep 21-Sep 25...

Currently I see lots of tickets for $1200-$1500 on Kayak and other online sites, but I am looking for a consolidator with expertise in Asia to find me a cheap Premium Economy or Business class... Any help is super appreciated
You're not getting anywhere near business class on that budget. Upgrade? Yes. Depending on the Coach fare you get you can use miles and dollars to upgrade. SFO/BKK it's 30,000 miles plus $600 each way on UA. But since UA doesn't go all the way to BKK not sure if that still works. Probably a tad higher from NYC.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glob99
Does the government require you to fly a US airline?
No...but I believe flying over certain areas are probably not a good choice (e.g.; Any Russian airlines, etc.).

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
You're not getting anywhere near business class on that budget. Upgrade? Yes. Depending on the Coach fare you get you can use miles and dollars to upgrade. SFO/BKK it's 30,000 miles plus $600 each way on UA. But since UA doesn't go all the way to BKK not sure if that still works. Probably a tad higher from NYC.
I never imagined that budget would be sufficient for business class, but was looking to perhaps spend $1500 on the ticket and then use 100-150K miles to upgrade both legs of the trip?

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Aug 7, 2014 at 9:23 pm Reason: Merged posts
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I never imagined that budget would be sufficient for business class, but was looking to perhaps spend $1500 on the ticket and then use 100-150K miles to upgrade both legs of the trip?
Upgrade rules vary widely. It would be helpful to know which airlines your 100-150k miles are with, and whether you have status with any airline programs.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
No...but I believe flying over certain areas are probably not a good choice (e.g.; Any Russian airlines, etc.).
Assume you have never flown UN or SU then?

As I live half my life here, I do fly them and the Ms is Crew on UN, I have and if you can get a deal on either you will be absolutely fine. Transit way better than the US, service is excellent as well. SU do premium economy and it's very good, also have huge exit row space if you have to go Y. UN have premium but it's not, as it's just exit rows and front two rows. Both do good deals on price for J but you need to go to their US Web sites
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:31 pm

Eva air deluxe premium. Leaves 0100hrs, 2+ hr connection in Tpe, arrives Bkk by noon time +1 day. Either pay difference or use UA miles for upgrade.

I fly their biz class on this particular routing couple times of yr. very nice.

Other option is premium elite on CX via HK, even more flight options out of JFK/EWR. Use AA miles for upgrade. My wife uses my miles and does this route few times a yr.

Both airlines heads above US carriers!
Old Aug 8, 2014, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Upgrade rules vary widely. It would be helpful to know which airlines your 100-150k miles are with, and whether you have status with any airline programs.
I have miles on my Amex card that I can transfer...and I have lost most my elite status on all the airlines as I haven't had a chance to travel much in the last 2 years due to work/life constraints...
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
On EVA Air, you could upgrade to Elite class on the long-haul parts only (NYC-TPE) for 30K miles each way. I am not sure whether any upgrades involving Elite class (to or from) are possible with miles from another carrier though.

http://www.evaair.com/en-us/infinity.../requirements/

I notice that EVA is having a special on Elite class from NYC in your timeframe:

http://www.evaair.com/en-us/new-york...-New-York.html

Good luck.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold

You're not likely to find consolidator tickets to BKK. Flights are always full. Cheapest Business Class you're going to find will be $4,000 and that will be on China Air or Philippine Air.

On United you can get a Miles and Money upgrade for something like 30,000 miles and $600, one way. That's probably going to be you're cheapest way into Business.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:59 pm

As posted earlier, Eva Air has royal laurel service which has flat beds in business class and excellent connection to Bkk via Taiwan. My wife visited both Taipei and Bkk from mid July to mid Aug using Star Alliance miles to get award tix.

She is planning on going again in late Oct and waiting for the Eva Air seats to open up....right now they're available for early Oct outbound and for early Nov return flights. The mid-Oct outbound to Taipei/Bkk will open up in another few days.

If you're using UA miles, they're 75K each way, flying out of JFK. Not sure if you can purchase elite deluxe and upgrade to business with UA miles but worth a call.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
OP has now booked an itinerary, which s/he posted here, along with new questions concerning upgrades. However, since the new questions are program-specific, I've moved that post to the ANA forum where it will hopefully be seen by more of the FTers who can be of assistance.

OP and those who might be interested can follow the discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-n...l#post23453959

Thanks to all who offered assistance so far!

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.