Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Top 5 Thai Souvenirs that you should bring back home

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Top 5 Thai Souvenirs that you should bring back home

There are plenty of reasons to visit Thailand, from glorious golden beaches to legendary parties beneath a full moon…and that’s before I mention the food and souvenirs.
Here I share some Thailand souvenirs which I got and other Thai souvenirs worth buying as well - either for yourself as a present from Thailand or as a gift idea to your families & friends back home.

1. Thai snacks
Thailand is a land of fruit snacks. The taste is always yummy and usually affordable.

2. Fried lotus seeds
Thai Lotus seeds Snack are delicious,.Plus, they’ll still give you a typical of local Snack's flavour.

3. Instant Thai Noodle - Tom Yam
The Thai Tom Yum Goong is famous , this will be a great travel souvenir back home.

4. Elephants
Elephants are synonym to Thailand and one can see it everywhere, including in gift & souvenir shops.They come in many forms, mainly as an elephant soft toy or even wood carving.

5. Thai CDs
Suggest you to grab a few Thai CDs before you leave.

There you have it, 5 Thai souvenirs to bring back from the Land of Smiles that represents Thailand.

copyright @sgdiscuss

Last edited by LCBarbara; Apr 3, 2015 at 4:40 am
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
While some food is involved here, perhaps this should be in the Thailand forum?

Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
An elephant, a monkey, some teak furniture, and brass knuckles!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might want to check your home country's rules for food souveniers - fruit products and seeds are a no-no coming back into many countries - and wood carvings also cause problems in some countries.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:20 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
My favourite non-food (bc of import restrictions) and non-wood souvenirs is a small modern hammered pewter dish with mini intricate elephant sculpture that is actually an incense holder. It doesn't look like an incense holder so can be a jewellery/soap dish etc. I also frequent the Jim Thompson store for their giant cotton voile squares that can be used as thin coverups or elegant summer shawls. One of my first souvenirs as a kid were hand painted gold-leaf porcelain elephant salt and pepper shakers from the potters to the royal family. Those same shakers are still in daily use on my kitchen counter except now they actually contain salt and pepper instead of my 2 childhood favourite colours of glitter. I think I followed that purchase with a small equally gold-covered jar on a subsequent trip that has held everything from gummy bears and paperclips to mints and cotton balls.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Thanks for sharing, just my thoughts - the chips are good for the long flight back to the US, and might get pass custom/agricultural inspection at port of entry without problems, not so sure about the lotus seeds. Odds are that they can be purchased locally at major Asian/Thai supermarket in cities with sizable south Asian population - the wholesaler importer would take care of clearing them for sale & consumption.

We loved those instant Tom Yum Goong instant noodles, really fire hot & spicy with the seasoning packet - 1/2 a bag is more than enough, add scrambled egg to cook in the broth & add vegetables like shredded lettuce (meat & shrimps are optional) - they are good. But, they are for sale here in many NY Asian supermarket as that where we buy them, 39 cents to 49 cents each - no need to travel back from oversea with them.

Thailand is full of temples & symbols of religion, various statues - like the Thai Buddha here - http://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Heali...84RT4J19KJYN1M, or the Lotus Leave candle holder http://www.amazon.com/Lotus-Votive-C...4HZ38C2JVAHZ6M -
These items made of Jade are nice, and $$ priced accordingly as nice gifts or for one's own collections
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
IBTL!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LCBarbara
4. Elephants
Elephants are synonym to Thailand and one can see it everywhere, including in gift & souvenir shops.They come in many forms, mainly as an elephant soft toy or even wood carving.
is the elephant on the left having a poo?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:57 am
Suspended

Those instant noodle soups may taste good, but they have nothing really to do with Thai food. First of all they are available in most Asian stores (yes the exact thing) the world over. Second, they are full of salt and preservatives, eat a few of them and you'll have heartburn and elevated blood pressure. Also, the noodles are usually pre-cooked and deep fried in oil to retain their shape and go instantly soft. Just buy fresh ingredients and start from scratch. Putting fresh shrimps in instant noodles is like sticking using Kobe beef in a taco.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by China Clipper
IBTL!
Have you ever tried ?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

You might want to check your home country's rules for food souveniers - fruit products and seeds are a no-no coming back into many countries - and wood carvings also cause problems in some countries.
only in case you bringback the fresh nuts.
Example for the fried lotus seeds,Can't plant them and grow a Lotus. They're fried. .It's no problem with the customs rules

Originally Posted by LondonElite
is the elephant on the left having a poo?
hahaa sure
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:27 pm

Those instant noodle soups may taste good, but they have nothing really to do with Thai food. First of all they are available in most Asian stores (yes the exact thing) the world over. Second, they are full of salt and preservatives, eat a few of them and you'll have heartburn and elevated blood pressure. Also, the noodles are usually pre-cooked and deep fried in oil to retain their shape and go instantly soft. Just buy fresh ingredients and start from scratch. Putting fresh shrimps in instant noodles is like sticking using Kobe beef in a taco.
Not to mention the 1/2 ton of MSG ! I don't dig all the artificial flavors. I'll eat 'em if the cupboard is bare though.You can get them everywhere in California. I wouldn't think they would travel well. Aren't they all broken up by the time you got home ?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:37 pm

Chips (durian) should be ok, bring them back all the time for mrs.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
Chips (durian) should be ok, bring them back all the time for mrs.
Yeah, they're great. The Customs guys have eyeballed & let me bring banana chips through.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
There are plenty of reasons to visit Thailand, from glorious golden beaches to legendary parties beneath a full moon…and that’s before I mention the food and souvenirs.
Here I share some Thailand souvenirs which I got and other Thai souvenirs worth buying as well - either for yourself as a present from Thailand or as a gift idea to your families & friends back home.

1. Thai snacks

2. Fried lotus seeds
Illegal in many countries.

3. Instant Thai Noodle - Tom Yam
You can buy those locally in any grocery store in the US. Why import them?

4. Elephants
Yes, but the ones you show are cheap tourist geegaws.

5. Thai CDs
Make sure you get the legal ones or you might have trouble when you get home.

An elephant, a monkey, some teak furniture, and brass knuckles!
Illegal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.