Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Visa on arrival - opportunity to hit ATM for local currency before paying fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*

Is there an opportunity to hit the ATM prior to having to pay the Visa on Arrival fee? (Now 1000THB) ...or will they take USD cash? exact change?
My wife will need it as a Chinese citizen. If there isn't an opportunity, where best to get THBs in the US (we are transiting Taipei)?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:42 am

There is no ATM before immigration, but there is a currency exchange. So just bring some cash in USD and you are all set.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by speedlite
There is no ATM before immigration, but there is a currency exchange.....
... At poor rates so only exchange as much as need.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:31 am

Suvarnabhumi!? Don Mueang? Or arriving by other means?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
When are you going? Your wife may not require that visa....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...nese-tourists/
Old Aug 3, 2014, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Flying inbound to BKK from TPE.

Nice to hear about the waiver of fee but we are going in mid-December. Sounds like a little too late. Why only 3 months? Hopefully they extend. I will have to stay close to this as I need to know whether I need cash or not before we wait in line. I guess I can get my 1000 Baht at the currency exchange and pay a ridiculous rate and spend it later if I don't need it.

We are also going to Malaysia (after Singapore) and I did happen to discover that Chinese can use VOA there for 2014 only (also to promote tourism) if coming in from Thailand or Singapore by air AND with $1000 cash in pocket, $100 of which to hand over to them... sheesh.

I think it would be a lot easier if these countries allowed a Chinese national in with a US Green Card. If the US vetted them (and it took us over a year to get through that process!), proved they can afford to live in the US, then shouldn't they be pretty well good to go?

Turns out our biggest problem was with Taiwan. She would need a mainland Chinese permit with an interview and one month processing to approve. Given her former membership in the Communist Party it might take a while... As such we abandoned our stay in Taipei and will skip it. More tourism $ gone.

Yeah we will be working on the US citizenship to eliminate these problems in our future travel.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I guess I can get my 1000 Baht at the currency exchange and pay a ridiculous rate and spend it later if I don't need it.
To put this into perspective, you're talking about a 3% spread on 1000THB. This is less than US$1.

Originally Posted by dmodemd
I think it would be a lot easier if these countries allowed a Chinese national in with a US Green Card. If the US vetted them (and it took us over a year to get through that process!), proved they can afford to live in the US, then shouldn't they be pretty well good to go?
The US itself does not do this, why expect different from Malaysia? For example, PRC citizens with permanent residency in a VWP country still require a visa to enter the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.