Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion [2014 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion [2014 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:17 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by carpetbagger
In monarchist Thailand, does money now trump a royal title? http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-...-a-royal-title
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Kalboz
It was posted on [B]

Also, about the payola, my wife read in Thai online news that they paid THB 50K to the airline and another THB 7K to the police.
And nothing to the FA who had hot water tossed on her?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:22 pm

It seems WAY too cheap, especially to the RTP.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
It seems WAY too cheap, especially to the RTP.

Agreed.

Air Asia. Now everyone can cause a mid-air ruckus. (TM)
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: lh sen
Is it true that the cemetery of the unknown tsunami victims in Bang Maruan is in bad condition?

A german newspaper reports today that even the forensic files of the unknown victims go to seed at this cemetrery. What did they do with the billions of $ in aid?

The Tsunami Cemetery in the province of Phang Nga is a sad symptom of Thailand's ability to quickly forget the past.

The rest of the world has not forgotten the 2004 tsunami, which generated a huge wave of sympathy for the Phuket region.

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/tsunami...e-draws-21324/
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by dsquared37
And nothing to the FA who had hot water tossed on her?
Oh, yea absolutely, she got some ... plus it wasn't really hot water - more like lukewarm
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by carpetbagger
Is it true that the cemetery of the unknown tsunami victims in Bang Maruan is in bad condition?

A german newspaper reports today that even the forensic files of the unknown victims go to seed at this cemetrery. What did they do with the billions of $ in aid?

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/tsunami...e-draws-21324/
The Tsunami was a God-sent excuse for the powerful to take land from local landholders (not necessarily "owners") and kick out questionably holding corporate entities.

I get a huge kick out of aid agencies pouring millions into corrupt regions thinking it does any good whatsoever. There was a rumour that some volunteers even got arrested for not holding a work permit.

That said, Phuketwan is to be read with a grain of salt.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, yea absolutely, she got some ... plus it wasn't really hot water - more like lukewarm
At cabin pressure water will boil at 91C +/-, so clearly it wasn't hot enough to justify any concern for the FA.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:01 am

Who said they are all crooks! http://www.nationmultimedia.com/brea...-30250052.html
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:29 pm

There's a similar article almost every week in the Post & it actually happened to a friend of mine. He was brain dead after a long flight, got in a taxi at BKK, left > $20K in the cab, and got it back. If a government official got in the taxi after him, I bet he wouldn't have.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:13 am

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-...823#ad-image-0

Army soldiers taken into custody for abducting foreigner in Phuket
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:40 am

The Daily Mail picked up the story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...paid-cash.html
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-...823#ad-image-0

Army soldiers taken into custody for abducting foreigner in Phuket
But only the civilians were charged, according to the article. I hope it's not like the counterfeit US $ deal at the Cambodian border a few months back. The Navy officer was let go and the other 2 were charged. I saw this yesterday and there was no mention of soldiers. Something fishy about this one - Russian Mafia ?

Last edited by whackyjacky; Dec 20, 2014 at 7:18 pm
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:12 pm

The Daily Mail picked up the story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...paid-cash.html
That's good, but it's just another recap of existing reports and articles.

-David
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Mainland Chinese don't travel well - yet anyway. They've stupidly caused big problems on the ground or in the air on about a dozen of my flights in the last 5 years. I'm not even mentioning minor irritations like the ubiquitous, lemming like, bum rushing by Econ of the F & J preferred boarding. In the States, these 2 imbeciles would be pulled off the plane, thrown in the slammer, and would probably get a couple years in prison. Add a $50K fine & restitution to the airline, passengers, & law enforcement. Apparently SOME Thai law enforcement got restitution since no charges were filed.
I hesitate to ascribe behavioral characteristics to groups of people by nationality, but anecdotally, .... A few years ago I was dating a Massachusetts girl of Chinese descent who spoke Cantonese fluently. We went to HKG for a few days. Waiting in the snake queue for immigration at HKG, there was a local woman who was simply walking up the queue passing everyone else. When she got to my then g/f, g/f stood between the ropes so that no one could pass. When the woman tried to edge her way by, g/f snapped something at her in Cantonese such that the woman slinked back to behind me in the queue and stayed there quietly.

G/f would never tell me exactly what she said.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Dec 21, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.