Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:25 am
formerly known as 2lovelife
Original Poster

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
General Bangkok/Thailand Hotel chatter, Open discussion...

I follow a dozen threads on Bangkok hotels, in their respective forums (SPG, Hilton, Accor, etc). But I have just noticed great info in many of the other hotel specific threads that I have never browsed.

Along with the plethora of independent hotels in all categories, budget, mid-range, and upscale, I thought we'd try an "open discussion" forum for all Thailand hotels.

The Rules: Please follow the Rules & Guidelines of Flyertalk and common courtesy.

I'm hoping to uncover some gems and maybe some deals along the way

Beyond that... enjoy....
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Place holder.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:07 am
Original Poster

What are people paying these days for a 4 star room in BKK? I've tried hard to keep my price at, or as close to $100 per night / 3000THB (+tax) for the major chain hotels. The truth is that often I have to pay a bit more.

I've had great success in the 1500- 2000THB per night range, although sometimes I have to either drop my standards (ie 3 star hotel) or choose a place without breakfast included.

My best deal last year was at the Natural Ville hotel in Lung Suan area... Agoda had their large corner suites for appx 2000THB.

There is buss on FT that the Hansar in Bangkok could be the prefered place. Anyone know of any current deals for it?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 3:40 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
There is buss on FT that the Hansar in Bangkok could be the prefered place. Anyone know of any current deals for it?
The Hansar has many offerings seanthepilot, two are continuing bid offers on Luxurylink.com and the third by directly by the hotel:

1- The 2-night package for 2 at their mid-level suite includes:

• 2 nights in Edge Suite
• Bottle of wine and selection of fresh fruits in room upon arrival
• Full breakfast for two each morning
• Complimentary wireless internet access
• Taxes & service charges
This package is valid for travel now - December 31, 2011. Reservations are subject to availability at time of booking. Current bid $398.

2- or, the 3-night package for 2 in their entry-level suite includes:

• 3 nights in Studio Suite
• Bottle of wine and selection of fresh fruits in room upon arrival
• Full breakfast for two each morning
• Complimentary wireless internet access
• Taxes & service charges
This package is valid for travel now - December 31, 2011. Reservations are subject to availability at time of booking. Current bid $373.

3- or, Special opening rate of THB 4,500++ per suite/night is offered by the hotel. The rate is subject to 10% service charge and 7%VAT. Daily breakfast for two (2) and internet access is inclusive in the offer. The special opening rate is valid until 31 October 2011. I have a PDF version of the hotel's brochure, please PM me with your email address if you need a copy or contract Alissa Tangsanga, Corporate Sales Manager at [email protected]

http://www.luxurylink.com/luxury-hot...kok?clid=11114

I have toured this hotel and can tell you that it is awesome luxury property with an excellent location: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7625617952376/

The entry level Studio Suite is the only suite type with a kitchenette.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Gotta say I'm a wotif.com guy. Most recent trip in Oct/nov stayed at Grand Millennium 'mystery hotel' for THB 3000 a night including breakfast; and at Le Meriden 'mystery hotel' for THB 2499 including breakfast.

<Mrs TK very happy and both hotels laid on second honey moon 'extras' like cake, petals in the bath etc etc.

We are back in May to HKT, BKK, and DPS and expect to use the Accor Great Asian Sale in Feb.

Cheers, TK

Sean - perhaps we can catch-up in HKT 7-9 May - long overdue. R.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:07 am
Original Poster

I'll share part of a PM that I recieved from a member...

Also, I really think the promo thread should be a sticky ... and another thing, if FT rules allow, we can start a rollodex of Thailand hospitality/travel contacts such as hotel executives, managers, etc.
I am all for a list of contacts, but I think thateach individual representative should be contacted and asked if they wish to have their information listed before it is added. How do others feel? Good idea?

TK, If I'm around, either in Bangkok or Phuket, it's a deal. It'd be great to see you again.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 5:23 pm

I'm a single male, late 20's and I consider myself a budget traveller.

My budget is 800 baht a night. I always try to shoot for 600 baht a night. That usually gets me a room with hot water, sit down toilet, air conditioner, TV and American breakfast. If I really want to splurge, 1200 baht is about my limit. I usually stay around On Nut or further east. The BTS extension hasn't opened yet, so the guesthouses are still cheap.

It seems strange to me to visit the far east and then just stay at an American hotel. When you are in those expensive hotels, do you even feel like you are in Thailand? Can you watch Thai TV? Is the food good, or do you have to leave the hotel to get real Thai food?

With the horrible dollar, I just stayed at an apartment for my last trip. My buddy got me in at a place that cost 6000 baht plus electricity for 2 weeks.

I've never tried one of those Home Stays, but I will probably give that a shot sometime.

I just don't see the value in staying in a $100 a night four star hotel in Thailand.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
I just don't see the value in staying in a $100 a night four star hotel in Thailand.
That's just it, -- we're all different and there are plenty of options for everyone. I'm happy to stay in a five star hotel hotel in BKK for $150 (thanks to what I've learned here at FT!!) which would cost $800 in my hometown.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Novotel bangkok fenix ploenchit

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
What are people paying these days for a 4 star room in BKK?

Another property generating a lot of buzz on FT is the Novotel Fenix Ploenchit Hotel which just recently opened on 22 Dec 2010 and it's literally steps from Ploenchit BTS Station:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7625490581361/

This property is making the following opening offer:

• THB 2,499 Per room per night
  • F&B Cash back voucher at THB 400 redeemable at check-out
  • Complimentary drink at Dee Lounge or Pool bar.
  • Complimentary one day BTS pass
  • Late check out of 4 PM (subject to availability)
  • Valid from Dec 22, 2010-March 31, 2011

Another Accor property that's hardly mentioned here is the VIE Hotel Bangkok a MGallery Collection which is a design property located just steps from Ratchatewi BTS Skytrain station and a short walk from MBK, and Siam Paragon: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/5262779556/
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I'm a single male, late 20's and I consider myself a budget traveller.

My budget is 800 baht a night. I always try to shoot for 600 baht a night. That usually gets me a room with hot water, sit down toilet, air conditioner, TV and American breakfast. If I really want to splurge, 1200 baht is about my limit. I usually stay around On Nut or further east. The BTS extension hasn't opened yet, so the guesthouses are still cheap.

It seems strange to me to visit the far east and then just stay at an American hotel. When you are in those expensive hotels, do you even feel like you are in Thailand? Can you watch Thai TV? Is the food good, or do you have to leave the hotel to get real Thai food?

With the horrible dollar, I just stayed at an apartment for my last trip. My buddy got me in at a place that cost 6000 baht plus electricity for 2 weeks.

I've never tried one of those Home Stays, but I will probably give that a shot sometime.

I'm a lot older than you, but I agree 100%. I don't go quite as cheap as you in BKK, (because I don't want to be that far out) but 1200-1400 baht always gets me a sparkling clean modern room w/breakfast in exactly the area I want to be in. The same can be had in Pattaya for 800-1000. Hotels at this level of cleanliness, amenities, and service can easily cost $150/night in the US. I pay for my airfare and extend my stays with the savings. I also realize that plenty of folks have lots more discretionary funds than I do.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 2:38 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????

I am very sympathetic to this point of view. It seems especially silly for people who don't have status and therefore probably don't even get free internet or breakfast. I do understand that some couples are not price sensitive and/or have just a few vacation days per years and find it convenient and comforting to stick with the brands they know. And, sure, you do get a little extra at these hotels, like a guy in smart clothes to open the front door for you, a beautiful lobby, better quality soap/shampoo, better location, more consistency, etc. But that extra $60+ could instead have received a combination of several more valuable (from my perspective) things such as tours, gourmet meals, massage, clothes, movies etc....or they could have used the savings to extend their stay by a week.

I have often paid $100+/night in Thailand, but it's usually only when I'm getting free breakfast + internet + lounge access + room upgrade (due to status) and working promotions or trying to retain status. I'm actually paying much less than $100, at least in my own (possibly skewed) accounting.

Last edited by BigE; Jan 12, 2011 at 2:09 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:39 pm

When you are in those expensive hotels, do you even feel like you are in Thailand?
Definitely, the Thai hospitality is at its best at these properties ... and you will feel it.

Can you watch Thai TV?
Sure, 42" and up with quality picture and plenty of Thai & international TV channels ... the wife likes to watch the late night Thai soaps. But who watches TV in Thailand ... maybe only when going to bed or when waking up.

Is the food good, or do you have to leave the hotel to get real Thai food?
The food (Thai or otherwise) is awesome by world-renowned chefs sometimes especially their buffets style dining. Thai food at restaurants such as Basil (SGS) and the White Elephant (JW Marriott) is exceptional and at surprisingly good value.

I don't want to sound elitist but without the status benefits, as BigE stated, it's hard to justify the $100-150/night spending especially that we travel on my own dime. Couple of years ago we stayed at the Conrad BKK and although I paid $175/night (on their 50% off sale rate ) the stay was a disaster as I don't have any status with HHonors.

Also, keep in mind what Dr. HFH stated above that most quality Bangkok hotels offer great value in comparison with comparable hotels in other major cities such as London, Paris, Tokyo, New York, or your hometown. During our last visit, the highest we paid was THB 4,464/night (about $175 ai) but it was a spacious room with an amazing views including lounge benefits (breakfast, happy hours, tea-time, laundry, beverages 6AM-12PM, etc.) Lounge benefits are important to us as we have a toddler in tow (hot water, milk, etc.). Here's a breakdown of our last Bangkok visit with hotels and their cost:

• JW Marriott Bangkok: 2 nights - THB 4,464++ Corner room with lounge benefits
  • ROS: 4 nights - THB 3,060++ Executive Suite with lounge benefits including breakfast buffet.
  • Renaissance Bangkok: 3 nights - THB 2560++ Renaissance Suite with lounge benefits
  • SGS: 8 nights -THB 3,999++ Grande Suite with benefits including breakfast, butler service, etc. Three weekends at the Weekend Rate (3-2-3 nights)
  • SGS: 4 nights - THB 3,750++ Grande Suite with benefits including breakfast, butler service, etc. This was an SPG50 rate.
  • SGS: 1 night - Free Grande Suite with benefits including breakfast, butler service, etc. This was a redemption for the AP MC promo.
  • 4P Sukhumvit: 3 nights - THB 1,900++ Spacious room with benefits including breakfast buffet, happy hour at the Beer Vault, etc.
  • Plaza Athenee: 3 night -THB 3,600++ Executive Suite with lounge benefits including breakfast buffet.

Please feel free to view our photos below to see how amazing these properties/rooms/suites are!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
But who watches TV in Thailand ... maybe only when going to bed or when waking up.
Yep, I do every morning after I wake up.

I like this open discussion, great idea Sean. As a budget traveler, I often times have trouble relating to posts on FlyerTalk. I work for a luxury hotel chain, so I often stay at nice hotels for cheap. Sure it's nice, but I can sleep at a Motel 6 no problem. I can't earn status at my own company, but I always stay with my company's properties (obvious money saver).

Even staying at low prices hotels in Thailand, you often have free internet, the spiffy guy to open the door for you, super friendly staff, and good food. Thai hospitality is great no matter what the price. However (having never stayed at a place costing more than 1200 baht) I think you get to see "real" Thai people at the lower priced places. The luxury chains all should have very professional staff and I feel that kind of takes away from the fun.

If money was no object to me, I am sure I would stay at nicer places. But as a 20-something year old guy, I would rather stay a week longer on vacation and stay at a cheaper place.

One place that I really liked was Suk 11. It was VERY unique. I don't even know how to describe it. It's a hostel (you can get individual rooms), but the place is just super cool with the decorations, hidden rooms and secret passageways. Really interesting.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:46 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I think you get to see "real" Thai people at the lower priced places.
I think some of our budget travelers, not just you, don't realize that the Thais who drive Mercedes, shop at Paragon or enjoy Sunday brunch at the Four Seasons are just as "real" and authentic as the farmers working for a pittance.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:10 pm

One place that I really liked was Suk 11. It was VERY unique. I don't even know how to describe it. It's a hostel (you can get individual rooms), but the place is just super cool with the decorations, hidden rooms and secret passageways. Really interesting.
Indeed very intersting topic ... thanks Seanthepilot ^

Suk11 is a real hit on lonelyplanet.com's board "Thorn Tree Travel Forum" for years now. I have been contributing for years at that forum (handle name: Zilfo) but not as often as I do here. Many budget-minded, back-packers and the like travelers post there ... feel free to join their discussions but don't abandon us

http://www.suk11.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/5275536754/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.