Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:19 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes they do! They have nice easy private boats that go to the train which terminates right at the river.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7625539423944/

All of them (MO, Peninsula, Marriott, Hilton, ROS, etc.) have a private ferry to the pier at Saphan Taksin BTS Station. Even the 2-star Ibis Riverside has free shuttle but to Krung Thonburi BTS station. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/5223274181/

Last edited by Kalboz; Jan 14, 2011 at 9:42 am
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? I didn't go this time, but I clearly saw the boat at the MO BKK which headed to the train. So it must be there, right?
It still stops there so no problem at all- but it doesn't terminate there anymore- goes across the river now (probably makes Marriott guests happy as it is not too far from the Marriott anymore).
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Really? I didn't go this time, but I clearly saw the boat at the MO BKK which headed to the train. So it must be there, right?
The Wongwian Yai BTS extension beyond Saphan Taksin and through the bridge to Thumburi was opened on the 15 May 2009 and was widely posted about here on FT

The MO ferry goes to Saphan Taksin BTS Station (Silom Line) which you can take either across the river to Thumburi or toward Siam Square.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
How do you all pick your hotels? Based on promos/rewards? Location? Price? Recommendation? Amenities?
1- Amenities, comfort, upgrades, and yes room size as we are 3 and the fourth one is on her way!
2- Location location location.
3- Price including promos/rewards
4- Recommendations
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz
The Wongwian Yai BTS extension beyond Saphan Taksin and through the bridge to Thumburi was opened on the 15 May 2009 and was widely posted about here on FT
Wow I didn't know those hotels had free ferries. That's very nice.

For fun one day I rode the skytrain all the way to Wongwian Yai. I was the only white guy at the station and there were maybe 20 Thai people left by then. There's nothing over there. There is a small strip mall in development and on my walk to the King Thaksin Monument I spotted one hotel. It was nice, but pricey for what it was. There was a nice sized local market up the street as well. I defiantly got some looks, which was strange because it's still pretty central Bangkok.

I do find it interesting that people stay at their loyalty clubs hotels in Bangkok. So I must ask, are you usually in BKK for work or pleasure? How often are you there?

I'm always in Thailand for pleasure, and stop in no more than once per year. My room is used for showering, sleeping and holding my baggage. I imagine the luxury folk on here are in their rooms for a bit more than me.

I guess I can understand if you are trying to accrue points (the whole point of this website) it would be much cheaper to gain points in Thailand versus USA or Europe.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:10 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Does anyone have real pics (not marketing stuff) for the rooms in the 4 points BKK ?
Funny you should ask...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15659347-post217.html
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by BigE
I won't argue about whether the lo-so types are more "authentic" - a term that is tricky to define anyway - but we can probably agree that they are more "representative".
They are "representative" of themselves, agreed. And the mid-so's are representative of themselves as well.

How heavily does location and access to transport effect your lodging destination?
When I started coming to Thailand I stayed at the Amari Watergate in Pratunam. It was probably 2-3 years before I started staying at the WGS and discovered the SkyTrain. I've never stated at the Amari Watergate since. Access to the BTS is one reason I stay at the WGS over the Le Meridien on Surawong. I stayed at the ROS once. While I'll be back for special occasions (Loy Krathong, NYE, family trips) the relative difficulty getting in and out of the place will keep me away. My boss was recently at the ROS as part of a vacation. He has been to BKK many times, always at the ROS. When I met him this week he said, "I have to go to BKK with you sometime to understand what you find so great. It is such a difficult city!" Once I understood that he stayed at the ROS again I understood why he perceives the city as so difficult.

How do you all pick your hotels? Based on promos/rewards? Location? Price? Recommendation? Amenities?
  1. Location - I first consider what part of the city I prefer.
  2. Price - If the WGS and SGS and PA and GHE were the same price, I'd possibly choose the PA but might stay at the GHE to earn stays. That said, I have a solid corporate rate at the WGS.
  3. Amenities - Mostly my chances at a suite upgrade.
  4. Promos - I'll hop around a bit for promos.

The MO is on the same side of the river as the Saphan Taksin BTS stop anyway. The train having been extended has no bearing. Like the ROS, the MO is a pain to get in and out of which is why they also have the option of the ferry to the BTS.

I do find it interesting that people stay at their loyalty clubs hotels in Bangkok. So I must ask, are you usually in BKK for work or pleasure? How often are you there?
I am in BKK around 40-50% of my weekends. About 40% of those weekends are part of business trips as I transit between countries.

I'm always in Thailand for pleasure, and stop in no more than once per year. My room is used for showering, sleeping and holding my baggage. I imagine the luxury folk on here are in their rooms for a bit more than me.
No, we also spend time in the lounge, especially for breakfast and cocktail hours. Some of the SGS loyals spend a significant time at the pool as the poor place has no lounge. But generally, I spend a lot of time out and about when I'm in BKK.

I guess I can understand if you are trying to accrue points (the whole point of this website) it would be much cheaper to gain points in Thailand versus USA or Europe.
Actually the price of points is the same, regardless. The price of stays can be cheaper in BKK. And the value for money is definitely good in BKK. Once you have achieved status, say with SPG or Hyatt, the free Internet, free breakfast, free cocktails... become an addiction. If you keep an eye on the Thailand or Starwood meeting threads in my sig and see that you and I are in BKK at the same time, let me know. I'll be happy to meet up with you in the WGS lounge for cocktail hours.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I was the only white guy at the station and there were maybe 20 Thai people left by then.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
You would have expected more falang at this station?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
My first 50 or so trips were for business, so I stayed at business hotels, starting with the Hyatt Erawan back in the 90's. When I take trips more for pleasure I like the Oriental if in Bangkok, but I prefer to get out of town if I can. I'm up in Chiang Mai now and it is beautiful and peaceful.

As for the train crossing the river, my last time in BKK was in January, 2009 I think. Out of sight, out of mind!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 3:12 pm

Wow I didn't know those hotels had free ferries. That's very nice.
Yes, the complimentary hotel ferries are real nice: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7625539423944/

For fun one day I rode the skytrain all the way to Wongwian Yai.
One day, we watched the King and his entourage sailing by our hotel twice on his way to open a project after one year seclusion at a hospital: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/with/5223201257/

I do find it interesting that people stay at their loyalty clubs hotels in Bangkok.
Not me ... I am out and about in boats, BTS, motorcycle taxis, etc. experiencing the city and all its charms. But when I am tired, hot, thirsty, and hungry I get back to the hotel and its charming room (bragging aside usually a suite) and the lounge and its libations and food.

So I must ask, are you usually in BKK for work or pleasure? How often are you there?
Usually twice a year of one month each for holidays and family visits.

I used to go to Europe 2-3 times a year until I "discovered" Thailand ... guess what? haven't been back to Europe since 2004.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
I used to go to Europe 2-3 times a year until I "discovered" Thailand ... guess what? haven't been back to Europe since 2004.
Yeah my Europe to Asia ratio is way off now. Last time I was in Europe was a flight from Bangkok, and the time before that was to visit a Thai friend in Europe!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yeah my Europe to Asia ratio is way off now. Last time I was in Europe was a flight from Bangkok, and the time before that was to visit a Thai friend in Europe!
Sort of the opposite for me. I live in Europe and I prefer visiting SE Asia way more than the US.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:32 am

Wyndham Hotels Entering Bangkok Through Dream!

Wyndham Hotels announced it has entered into an agreement gaining exclusive rights to franchise and manage its Dream and Night boutique hotel brands globally.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Wyndha....html?x=0&.v=1

This is including the 195-room Dream Hotel Bangkok at Sukhumvit Soi 15 which is down the street from the new Four Points Sukhumvit 15.

http://www.dreambkk.com/

Last edited by seanthepilot; Jan 24, 2011 at 10:09 pm
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
There's a Holiday Inn opening between Suhumvit 20 and 22. Construction is in full swing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.