Search

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 5:31 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Wouldn't the Peninsula be over $400?
Nope, Peninsula Bangkok (and Manila) is pretty cheap compared to any other Peninsula in the world. The room/suite I mentioned above are about $250, $300 respectively. I am looking at dates in the summer.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:04 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Also noticed that you can see Maha Nakhon from the Pen per this video.

Old May 1, 2016, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Nope, Peninsula Bangkok (and Manila) is pretty cheap compared to any other Peninsula in the world. The room/suite I mentioned above are about $250, $300 respectively. I am looking at dates in the summer.
Just had a look. Wow. A bargain.

Last trip a few months ago I stayed at Pathumwan Princess Hotel in the Horizon Terrace Suite for about AUD$500. I always thought the Peninsula would be way over that. I've got it in the memory bank for the next time I visit.

I like this hotel as I can return to my room to relax whilst husband trawls the shops. He loves shopping!

http://www.pprincess.com/rooms-and-s...ace-suite.html
Old May 1, 2016, 7:17 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Ahh... I know that place. I would want somewhere a bit more chaotic though (Sukhumvit area). Summer seems to be the low seasons for SE Asia since everywhere is all hot and humid and typhoony all the time.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
One more hotel question... I am looking for a hotel, preferably in the Sukhumvit area (if not, then anywhere along the BTS, if not then subway station also works), that has a two-bed suite, but not a two-bedroom suite, and nothing too big. Since I'm going with kids, I'm afraid stuff will get lost in big suites. I hope to stay under $400/night. Any recommendations? Cheaper is better, but not too cheap. If yall got nothing I will book the Peninsula grand balcony room (425sqft) or deluxe suite (797sqft).
SGS room 1012 is just what you're looking for. Newly renovated one bedroom suite with two beds (queen size, I think), not too big, but a very large marble bathroom. It's a one-off, no other room in the hotel is like it, either in design or floor plan. Specifically, because it's on the same floor as the Thai theme suites, the layout is not the same as any other xx12 suite in the hotel.

Does anyone know from which hotel one could see the new Maha Nakohn building?
Most rooms on the Surawong Road side of LM will afford you an excellent view.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:08 am
Suspended

One more hotel question... I am looking for a hotel, preferably in the Sukhumvit area (if not, then anywhere along the BTS, if not then subway station also works), that has a two-bed suite, but not a two-bedroom suite, and nothing too big. Since I'm going with kids, I'm afraid stuff will get lost in big suites. I hope to stay under $400/night. Any recommendations? Cheaper is better, but not too cheap. If yall got nothing I will book the Peninsula grand balcony room (425sqft) or deluxe suite (797sqft).
Try the Emporium Suites - wide range of room configurations at pretty reasonable prices. It's connected to the Emporium shopping centre and BTS Phrom Phong. I've only stayed there on business trips but I think it might have something that would suit you.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:35 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist

Last trip a few months ago I stayed at Pathumwan Princess Hotel in the Horizon Terrace Suite for about AUD$500. I always thought the Peninsula would be way over that. I've got it in the memory bank for the next time I visit.

Although the spacious Horizon Terrace Suite looks great, $250++ in Thailand is a fortune and can get you into the best suites at the best properties in Bangkok.

I like this hotel as I can return to my room to relax whilst husband trawls the shops. He loves shopping!
He must love the markets of Nana, Patpong, and Soi Cowboy!
Old May 3, 2016, 7:24 am

One more hotel question... I am looking for a hotel, preferably in the Sukhumvit area
Both are residence apts with bedroom, large bathroom, combo LR/DR/Kitchen, with washer/dryer and excellent buffet. Small gym, pool area.

Grande Centrepoint, Ratchadamri (2 minute walk to BTS)
Oriental Residence, Wireless Rd (5 minute walk to BTS) -- more upscale

Both highly recommended and well within your price range.
Old May 4, 2016, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Although the spacious Horizon Terrace Suite looks great, $250++ in Thailand is a fortune and can get you into the best suites at the best properties in Bangkok.

I now know that after this thread.

I was mislead by the pics of the Terrace Suite. I thought it was a pool out on the terrace but it's a spa bath. My husband and I actually preferred the regular Executive Suite with 2 dedicated rooms instead of the Terrace Suite that was just one big room with a massive bathroom of similar size.

Next trip, Peninsula or equivalent it is.

Thanks for the info everyone.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold

Are you sure about that price? The link you provided quotes that suite for less than half the price you said you paid.
Old May 7, 2016, 10:32 am

After a beach holiday we're looking for a place to stay for a few nights before heading back to Europe.

We've been to BKK several times - started with the Sofitel So, switched to St. Regis after getting tired of the "oh-so…", switched to the Sofitel and finally Plaza Athenee). Location wise we have no preference.

Siam unfortunately is too much out of the way,
MO would be nice but afraid we're not the right fit for being a guest there.

Thinking about the Hyatt, Peninsula or Sofitel on suite level.

What do you guys think - which is the "better" hotel in terms of service and quality?
Old May 8, 2016, 2:38 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Based on the previous hotels you have been to, I would go with the Grand Hyatt Erawan or the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit.

I suspect that if you don't think you'd feel comfortable at the MO, you will feel the same way at the Pen.
Old May 12, 2016, 11:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kalboz

I would not shop at the Patpong market. Often the meat has unexpected bone in it.
Old May 13, 2016, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Are you sure about that price? The link you provided quotes that suite for less than half the price you said you paid.
Give or take $20.

I booked an Executive Suite and on the way to the airport upgraded to the Horizon Terrace.

Possibly it was an expensive time of year or I was being ripped off. Oh well!!!

Just thought... was Australian dollar I was quoting.

Just checked the no advance booking with breakfast. Was AUD$580 plus taxes.

Last edited by Annalisa12; May 13, 2016 at 2:00 am
Old May 29, 2016, 1:39 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

The Horizon Terrace is the biggest suite right? That's quite an upgrade consider they skipped the Execuplus suites and the Garden Suite. By the way if your suite didn't have a jacuzzi it's only a Garden Suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.