Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:29 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Majestic Suites and Majestic Grande are two distinctly different properties.

Majestic Suites is located on Sukhumvit proper between Sois 4 and 6, and, AFAIK, is a love hotel. At night, that whole area is swarmed with ladyboys.

Majestic Grande, on the other hand, is a legit property located on Soi 2 same as the JW Marriott but further down the soi on the opposite side.

Majestic Grande as seen from the JWM 17th floor executive lounge
Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Majestic Suites and Majestic Grande are two distinctly different properties.
Yes, although at two very different price points. If someone is considering the $80-100ish price, there's little to no point in considering Majestic Grande; if someone is considering the 1000-1500 baht price point in considering Majestic suites. They are not in any useful sense peer properties although they've got some level of shared ownership.

Majestic Suites is located on Sukhumvit proper between Sois 4 and 6, and, AFAIK, is a love hotel. At night, that whole area is swarmed with ladyboys.
It's got regular nightly rates, and as far as I know doesn't offer hourly rates; it's clean, safe, and reliably offers non-smoking rooms which is not true for many of the other properties in that price point.

If you're bothered by the idea of running into someone taking a nightly companion back to their room, it is best avoided -- but then again, that is a real possibility at the JWM or Majestic Grande.

Some amount of seediness is unavoidable in the area -- it is directly around the corner from the zoo that is Sukhumvit Soi 4, but even in the late evening, the area "swarming" is overflow around the corner and all 10 of about meters between it and the corner -- and anything between Soi 4 and Soi 13 is going to have to deal with some of the street idiocy in the evening. I do, in general, find it more pleasant to walk down to the Ploenchit BTS from either one due to the mess along Sukhumvit
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: Finnair Plus Gold(OWS), IHG Gold(Plat Ambassador soon maybe), Accor Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
There's not any sort of Bangkok deal thread? Staying Bangkok so often that would appreciate any sort good deals (doesn't have to be error fares). For example saw Centara Grand at CentralWorld for 66 eur couple of nights ago (seems to be gone now). Normal price over 100e/night.

Majestic Grande is very nice and has an exellent indian restaurant downstairs (The Great Kabab Factory Thailand). Also enjoy the lunch buffet at Dine at 7.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:55 am

There's a thread already. Dig around in the Thailand section.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:55 am
formerly known as 2lovelife
Original Poster

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Or just use this one
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ramitran
There's not any sort of Bangkok deal thread?
There is a deals thread stickied to the top of this forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...post-here.html
However, there haven't been any posts in recent months. Occupancy is down significantly in the city right now, so you should be able to find a relative bargain with just a bit of legwork.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
There is a deals thread stickied to the top of this forum
Indeed.

You beat me to it, I was just going to point out that it's hiding in plain sight
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:20 am
15a

I need some advice - choosing between a 2 bedroom apartment in Oriental Residence or 2 studio suites at Hansar (both costing me around the same and within my budget) - what would the pros recommend
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by 15a
I need some advice - choosing between a 2 bedroom apartment in Oriental Residence or 2 studio suites at Hansar (both costing me around the same and within my budget) - what would the pros recommend
I'm sure the Hansar is good, but the Oriental is legendary. I wouldn't hesitate to book the Oriental.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:14 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by 15a
The Hansar thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...r-bangkok.html

My photo album of the property is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...57625617952376

Located on a side soi next to the St. Regis - BTS station is Ratchdamri

Oriental Residence thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...e-bangkok.html

Located on Wireless Rd. across the street from the Conrad - BTS station is Phloen Chit

Depends on what you like to do and how much time you want to spend getting to and from Bangkok's major attractions. stimpy has a very good point about the reputation of the Oriental and they have some good food venues. Location is also decent if you want to go to lower Sukhumvit. But for major tourist attractions along the river, the Hansar has the better location.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:05 pm

Love your threads Kalboz. Thanks for the time and effort.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm sure the Hansar is good, but the Oriental is legendary. I wouldn't hesitate to book the Oriental.
Just to be perfectly clear here, I would point out that the Oriental MANDARIN is a genuinely legendary property, whereas the Oriental Residence does not come anywhere near that category. It's simply an above-average serviced apartment property, comprised of purchased lease-hold residences (condos) and short hotel style bookings or long stay rentals.

I would also add that I've lived in both neighborhoods, and all things being equal, I'd be likely to choose the Hansar if booking for a relatively short time (days or weeks), primarily for its easy access to both BTS lines. If it's a long-stay (months or years), I'd much prefer the location of the Oriental Residence.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Sep 2, 2015 at 12:50 am
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Just to be perfectly clear here, I would point out that the Oriental MANDARIN is a genuinely legendary property, whereas the Oriental Residence does not come anywhere near that category. It's simply an above-average serviced apartment property, comprised of purchased lease-hold residences (condos) and short hotel style bookings or long stay rentals.

I would also add that I've lived in both neighborhoods, and all things being equal, I'd be likely to choose the Hansar if booking for a relatively short time (days or weeks), primarily for its easy access to both BTS lines. If it's a long-stay (months or years), I'd much prefer the location of the Oriental Residence.
Yes I think we're all aware of the difference, but it's of course the same management which itself has quite a tradition and the longest serving staff of any hotel/residence in Thailand/Asia. As for the BTS, it's my observation that relatively few guests who book these properties take public transport.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:17 am
formerly known as 2lovelife
Original Poster

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I am currently in Bangkok each weekend and bouncing around trying to find good value and a place that's easy to get to/from. I've approached a few hotels, but haven't gotten much in the way of special rates. I'm SPG, Accor, and Marriott gold. But, not stuck to those chains.

Almost primarily weekend nights, I'll be somewhere between 40 and 100 year nights. If anyone has any tips, public or by PM, I'd appreciate the head's up.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:39 am

Yes I think we're all aware of the difference, but it's of course the same management ...
A common misunderstanding, however, unless something has changed recently, it's not actually the case. They are completely unrelated. Even if it were managed by MO, the plant, ops and staff of the Oriental Residence are nowhere near comparable to those of the MO (although it's definitely very nice relative to similar properties in the city).
As for the BTS, it's my observation that relatively few guests who book these properties take public transport.
Speaking from personal experience, I'm inclined to disagree.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.