Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:20 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Why risky?
Mrs. shuuy navigating BKK by herself without me there?
Benefit of uber is no cash + SPG points
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
If I were to just hail an Uber at 5am on a morning, would they be willing to take me to Erawan Falls, wait there, and take me to Hellfire Pass (keeping the meter running the whole time)?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by 1353513636
If I were to just hail an Uber at 5am on a morning, would they be willing to take me to Erawan Falls, wait there, and take me to Hellfire Pass (keeping the meter running the whole time)?
They'll do anything for payment I am sure.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by shuuy
Any advice on getting an Uber from BKK, especially if you're only on wifi and won't have voice access?

Is that too risky vs. taxi or AOT SUV?
Could be a bit of a gong show finding the driver especially if the passenger hasn't been at BKK before. Uber doesn't have the airport pickup feature where you specify which level and entrance number at BKK yet. Just take one of the legions of regular meter taxis and make sure they start the meter.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There have been quite a few reports here, and elsewhere, that the default UBER pick-up point at Suvarnabhumi (BKK) is level 2 (Arrivals), door #8. This is the same level as Arriving Immigration, Baggage Claim and Customs, with ten doors numbered from 10 on the left, down to 1 on the right.

For an international arrival you'll come out of Customs exit B or C, door number 8 would be to the left once you make the u-turn out of one of these Customs exit, once facing the front of the main passenger terminal building.

The official metered taxi queues are down one level, on level 1, at doors #4 and #7.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I've given up using Uber from BKK because the drivers seem incapable of coming to the level and door that you specify in the app. The app does let you specify level and door number (i.e. arrivals and door 8 for example) however the three times I've done this the driver has been waiting on a different level. It has taken up to an hour to hook up because (a) no wifi out of the terminal (b) cost of international roaming phone calls meaning I don't want to just phone them (c) lack of English so needing to find a friendly Thai to speak to the driver and (d) you can't go directly back in the terminal to go to the different floor easily once you've exited the arrivals floor.

Uber needs to train its drivers that passengers wanting to be picked up at BKK are (a) almost certainly at the arrivals level (b) at the gate they specify (c) paying roaming charges for any lengthy phone call which will negate the cost advantage of Uber over taxis and in any case (d) are unlikely to speak Thai because the passenger is using Uber and it's the main international airport.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ftrichard
I've given up using Uber from BKK because the drivers seem incapable of coming to the level and door that you specify in the app. The app does let you specify level and door number (i.e. arrivals and door 8 for example) however the three times I've done this the driver has been waiting on a different level. It has taken up to an hour to hook up because (a) no wifi out of the terminal (b) cost of international roaming phone calls meaning I don't want to just phone them (c) lack of English so needing to find a friendly Thai to speak to the driver and (d) you can't go directly back in the terminal to go to the different floor easily once you've exited the arrivals floor.

Uber needs to train its drivers that passengers wanting to be picked up at BKK are (a) almost certainly at the arrivals level (b) at the gate they specify (c) paying roaming charges for any lengthy phone call which will negate the cost advantage of Uber over taxis and in any case (d) are unlikely to speak Thai because the passenger is using Uber and it's the main international airport.
It's 400 THB or less using a taxi to the city. I love Uber but I don't get why people use it in Bangkok.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:03 pm

I don't know if I'd be comfortable using uber in another country if I didn't have access to cheap/free calls. While this isn't always the case I've often had the driver call me even when it was easy enough to locate each other. Last time in BKK driver called me even though every time, including last time the pickup was at arrivals door 5.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
It's 400 THB or less using a taxi to the city. I love Uber but I don't get why people use it in Bangkok.
I second this. Why on earth go through the hassle reported by the previous posters, when inexpensive metered taxis are available?

I believe the lesson learned from this thread is NOT to use Uber FROM BKK.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I second this. Why on earth go through the hassle reported by the previous posters, when inexpensive metered taxis are available?

I believe the lesson learned from this thread is NOT to use Uber FROM BKK.
My experience using Uber from BKK is only a handful of times but there was only once where a mixup resulted in no ride.

On the other hand I've had a much higher percentage of rides with taxis where the driver's meter was hot, driver pushed back and wanted a set fare, driver was rude etc etc etc.

And Uber to Asok is only ~20 baht more than taxi meter + 50 baht AoT surcharge and is automatically billed and I get points for it. Moreso if I'm staying at an SPG hotel.

While I won't wait around for Uber, if I'm able to get one that's immediately available I'll take them every time instead of a taxi.*

*When solo I almost exclusively take the train except for late night arrivals.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:24 am

I broadly agree with you and *most* taxis in BKK use the meter or I agree 500 THB all in to take me to Le Meridien.

However... I collect SPG points and if I use Uber for an airport run when I'm at Le Meridien I get the bonus points so it's a dilemma.

I'll get my coat.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I broadly agree with you and *most* taxis in BKK use the meter or I agree 500 THB all in to take me to Le Meridien.

However... I collect SPG points and if I use Uber for an airport run when I'm at Le Meridien I get the bonus points so it's a dilemma.

I'll get my coat.
Bonus points... on a $10 ride... that's 10 points (30 if plat) for all the inconvenience of dealing with Uber at BKK. No thanks.

And btw - you can easily negotiate 400 THB all in for the ride to LM. 500 THB is too much
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Because the taxis are hit and miss as far as quality of the vehicle and driver. I use strictly AOT or other limo service, pay $10-15 more than a taxi and ride in comfort.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Because the taxis are hit and miss as far as quality of the vehicle and driver. I use strictly AOT or other limo service, pay $10-15 more than a taxi and ride in comfort.
I too normally get AOT but believe taxi is about 500 into town, whereas AOT is 1100 (or 1200 now?) for regular Camry car....
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:38 am

Bonus points... on a $10 ride... that's 10 points (30 if plat) for all the inconvenience of dealing with Uber at BKK. No thanks.

And btw - you can easily negotiate 400 THB all in for the ride to LM. 500 THB is too much
I know. It's not worth it given the impossibility of hooking up with your driver.

I'm happy to pay 500 THB as a fixed price to a Thai when staying at Le Meridien and give them the same even when they use the meters and add the tolls and 50 THB airport surcharge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.