Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grab car service now in Bangkok (Uber sold to Grab in SE Asia)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Originally Posted by Tchiowa

Remember in BKK it's not exactly hard to find a taxi. Any time. Any where.
Unless it's raining...
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Promotion for airport trips this week

Theres an untargeted promo code out this week for trips to and from the airport on UberX and UberBlack:

Get 200 baht off your next airport ride with code:

BKKGETAWAY

YOUR DISCOUNT

Offer valid on uberX or UberBLACK now until Monday August 3, 2015 at 5AM

Good for 1 trip, to or from the airport (Suvarnabhumi Airport or Don Muang Airport)

Can be used by new or existing users
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:56 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
System in BKK yesterday had some issues. While waiting for the driver it kept dropping him out as though he had cancelled.. then coming back on again.
Trip was about 70km in one direction and at the ~35km mark (near Don Muang) it suddenly just cancelled the trip. So I "rebooked" him again while sitting in his car - he wasnt happy though "haaaaa system error again....". Anyway, I wrote to customercare and got a reply a few hours later that they are aware of the problem and to give them a week to sort it out.

Driver was nice though. Dropped me off and we agreed that he'd go for lunch and come back an hour later once I was done with my meeting. Then rebooked him again (this was out in the woods of Nonthaburi, so no other drivers around) and he drove me back to the hotel again. In the end tipped him another 200B for hanging around.
The whole 150km odd round trip cost me (~350+550B) - which should be around 1100B once uber gets the fare adjusted for the system error.
If I had flagged a taxi and IF! he had taken me, I'm sure I would have ended up with nothing less than 2000B.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Hello,

i got a question.
So i got a uber account in Canada.
Will it still work when they charge me in baht in BKK?
Also is there any surcharge when i'm picked up from the airport?
Any info is appreciated

thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GurungBoi
Hello,

i got a question.
So i got a uber account in Canada.
Will it still work when they charge me in baht in BKK?
Also is there any surcharge when i'm picked up from the airport?
Any info is appreciated

thanks!
they charge your credit card in THB.
Make sure you change your phone number when arriving in BKK on your Uber account or the driver will not be able to contact you. Get a Thai SIM upon arrival.
Airport is Flat Rate 1000 THB plus 75 THB tolls (or whatever they are). DMK and BKK are same rate.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Allvest
Airport is Flat Rate 1000 THB plus 75 THB tolls (or whatever they are). DMK and BKK are same rate.
i thought it was 500 THB. And tolls from DMK >> BKK.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by Allvest
they charge your credit card in THB.
Make sure you change your phone number when arriving in BKK on your Uber account or the driver will not be able to contact you. Get a Thai SIM upon arrival.
Does one need a working phone number? I was thinking of getting using my us phone that has roaming, but i wouldnt have a local thai number. will uber still work?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njxbean
Does one need a working phone number? I was thinking of getting using my us phone that has roaming, but i wouldnt have a local thai number. will uber still work?
How will you arrange the pickup point without a functioning local number?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: CharlesPoedyOB
Originally Posted by dsquared37
i thought it was 500 THB. And tolls from DMK >> BKK.
The website says UberX THB500, UberBlack THB 1000 (plus tolls)
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Yes, in my (limited) experience, I have always needed to talk to the driver to sort out the pickup point
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by Electrostar
Yes, in my (limited) experience, I have always needed to talk to the driver to sort out the pickup point
typically it uses gps and since i know the license plate and car type i just walk up to the car. But im not sure how it works in bangkok. Here, sometimes they call but usually i just walk up to the car.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:39 pm
Suspended

typically it uses gps and since i know the license plate and car type i just walk up to the car. But im not sure how it works in bangkok. Here, sometimes they call but usually i just walk up to the car.
They use GPS and give the license plate number in Bangkok as well. However, maybe I have just been unlucky, but there has always been some "meet-up" problem. They go past the hotel entrance, or go to a different door at a shopping centre or at the airport etc. etc. On the whole I like using Uber in Bangkok, but it has not been trouble free, particularly connecting with the car, for me, anyway.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But they have no idea where you are and you don't know what level they are on. What you've typically done will not bear fruit in BKK.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:09 pm

But they have no idea where you are and you don't know what level they are on. What you've typically done will not bear fruit in BKK.
I've received calls from Uber drivers in Paris and Bangkok to my US number. While it's possible that they may have had plans on their phones allowing them to call internationally I think the most likely scenario is that they have a way to call you via the driver uber app with the call being routed like a VOIP call i.e. free for them.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greendx
I've received calls from Uber drivers in Paris and Bangkok to my US number. While it's possible that they may have had plans on their phones allowing them to call internationally I think the most likely scenario is that they have a way to call you via the driver uber app with the call being routed like a VOIP call i.e. free for them.
That's good to know. I generally change my number prior to going back and forth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.