Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Daytrip from Bangkok to Angkor Wat, what do you think?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Hi Folks,

I'm staying a few days in Bangkok at the end of February, but already have seen everything I'm interested in.

I'm now thinking of a daytrip to Angkor Wat as it's only 1 hour flight from Bangkok to Siem Reap, I could take a flight at 08:00->09:00 and go back 21:45->22:50.

Without baggage, just immigration, I should sit in the car at latest 10:00. Drive to Angkor Wat is only 10 minutes.

If could leave Angkor Wat at 20:30. Even if I substract an additional buffer of half an hour I would definitely have 10 hours in Angkor Wat.

What do you think?

Cheers

Last edited by cyberduck; Feb 17, 2014 at 9:18 am
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by cyberduck
Hi Folks,

I'm staying a few days in Bangkok at the end of February, but already have seen everything I'm interested in.

I'm now thinking of a daytrip to Angkor Wat as it's only 1 hour flight from Bangkok to Siem Reap, I could take a flight at 08:00->09:00 and go back 21:45->22:50.

Without baggage, just immigration, I should sit in the car at latest 10:00. Drive to Angkor Wat is only 10 minutes.

If could leave Angkor Wat at 20:30. Even if I substract an additional buffer of half an hour I would definitely have 10 hours in Angkor Wat.

What do you think?

Cheers
Spending only a day in Angkor is really a shame, because there is so much to see. But one day is better than missing it altogether.

That said, the park closes at dusk/dark and if IIRC it closes around 6:00pm. Also, the park has poor/no lighting of the temples themselves and several paths. You would probably have more like 7.5-8 hours in the park. If it is possible to take an earlier flight out of Bangkok, or even taking a flight in the late evening the night before, I would recommended that.

Keep in mind that you are probably going to need to arrange for transportation within the park itself as well. The park is huge and the distance between temples can be great.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:03 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread as it moves to the forum dedicated to travel in Asia. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dedkends
Spending only a day in Angkor is really a shame, because there is so much to see. But one day is better than missing it altogether.

That said, the park closes at dusk/dark and if IIRC it closes around 6:00pm. Also, the park has poor/no lighting of the temples themselves and several paths. You would probably have more like 7.5-8 hours in the park. If it is possible to take an earlier flight out of Bangkok, or even taking a flight in the late evening the night before, I would recommended that.

Keep in mind that you are probably going to need to arrange for transportation within the park itself as well. The park is huge and the distance between temples can be great.
Seems like it won't work due to visa problems.

People flying to Siem Reap need to stay minimum one night in Cambodia.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 5:01 pm

go out the night before and stay at a hotel. You can get a very decent place in Siem Reap for $30-50 USD a night. You'll want to get to the park early since it gets quite hot out there. Use the hotel for a mid-day nap/pool/shower then go back for sunset. Have a meal and a few drinks on Pub St then head back for your fligth.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Very ambitious but definitely doable. You'll need some type of transportation within the park as mentioned, and can typically hire a Tuk Tuk for around $25-30 to take you to major sites. If you need to spend 1 night for visa purposes, I think it is well worth it.

SPG had a Meridian property close to the park - might be worth staying there and gettin up at sunrise.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Seems like it won't work due to visa problems.

People flying to Siem Reap need to stay minimum one night in Cambodia.
You definitely cannot purchase a round trip without the 1 night stay but if buying 2 o/w tix (say K6 and/or FD since PG will rake you over the coals on a o/w) then it should be doable.

Originally Posted by Blootch
Very ambitious but definitely doable. You'll need some type of transportation within the park as mentioned, and can typically hire a Tuk Tuk for around $25-30 to take you to major sites. If you need to spend 1 night for visa purposes, I think it is well worth it.
You should be able to get that for $15.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:06 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
You should be able to get that for $15.
Thanks for that ^

Have Siem Reap for American Thanksgiving, alas only for a couple of days (booked just before the great UA mile devaluation).

I'm a walker, but don't like to walk in hot weather, so tuk-tuks may be the way to go.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Thanks for that ^

Have Siem Reap for American Thanksgiving, alas only for a couple of days (booked just before the great UA mile devaluation).

I'm a walker, but don't like to walk in hot weather, so tuk-tuks may be the way to go.
Walking is not feasible to see much of anything in REP. Transportation, even if a bike, is the way to go.

In town hoofing it is fine and that's my typical mode of travel.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 3:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Blootch

SPG had a Meridian property close to the park - might be worth staying there and gettin up at sunrise.
do not pay $25-30 for a tuk tuk...Last year we paid $15 to do the big and little circuit in 1 day...You can get an airconditioned car for that. We made many stops and hit all the highlights that we wanted to see. Honestly we thought one day was plenty to see quite a bit of the major temples. We had planned 2 days, but left a day early to head back to Pattaya
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:10 am
Original Poster

You definitely cannot purchase a round trip without the 1 night stay but if buying 2 o/w tix (say K6 and/or FD since PG will rake you over the coals on a o/w) then it should be doable.

Thank you very much for your help, but I don't get the short cuts.

You mean buying two one-way tickets BKK-REP and REP-BKK with different airlines (what would be the best option regarding times anyway), should work?

I'd suspect that the immigration doesn't care what airline you take. When leaving the country they see you immigrated in the morning and won't let you go, am I wrong?

Thanks for help again!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd suspect that the immigration doesn't care what airline you take. When leaving the country they see you immigrated in the morning and won't let you go, am I wrong?
Very true.

[quote][KVS Availability Tool 7.3.0/Diamond - TIMATIC: Visa/Entry Requirements]
Code:
National USA (US)               /Embarkation USA (US)
Destination Cambodia (KH)       

[Visa Information - Destination] Cambodia (KH)

Warning:
- Day trips (i.e., arriving and departing on the same day) to
  Cambodia are not permitted.
 - Except when arriving and departing in Phnom Penh (PNH).
 - Except for alien residents of Cambodia.
 - Except for holders of a multiple-entry business visa issued
   by Cambodia.
Go in the night before and you won't have any problems.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:00 am
Original Poster

On the site of the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Germany I found the information there is an assignation from Cambodia Touristic Ministry from December 1999 that passengers on direct flights to Siem Reap have to stay at least one night.

I contacted the agency which usually take care of my visa affairs. They never heard of this. They contacted the Cambodian embassy in Berlin, they never heard of it either and asked their colleges in Cambodia.

A few minutes ago I got the feedback that they searched everywhere but nobody was able to find something about this rule, but they won’t confirm this to me in written form.

Going a night before is not possible due to appointments in Bangkok in the late evening.

Would you take the risk?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Going a night before is not possible due to appointments in Bangkok in the late evening.

Would you take the risk?
TIMITAC is the source of sources. It's a great test case I'd love to hear about but not actually take part in.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

TIMITAC is the source of sources. It's a great test case I'd love to hear about but not actually take part in.
"Day trips (i.e., arriving and departing on the same day) to Cambodia are not permitted."

Don't know weither they maybe wo'nt let me immigrate or won't let me leave the country. And don't know if it depends on the particular immigration staff or if their computers don't accept the dates we'll write on the immigration card.

Anybody has an idea that could rise the chance of getting through without problems? I think I'd like to take the risk.

Last edited by cyberduck; Feb 19, 2014 at 9:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.