Wiki Posts
Search

Stopover at Bangkok. Luggage question.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
Stopover at Bangkok. Luggage question.

I booked a trip US-Asia, and tried to take advantage of the free stopover at Bangkok for a few days of extra vacation. So, I was planning to bring two big suitcases of my personal stuff for the month long trip and gifts for family/friends. Does this mean that I will be taxed at Bangkok custom even though I'll be bringing them with me after a few days?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:39 am

Unless you're bring contraband or un-opened expensive electronic or luxury items, you'll be just fine. My wife always travels one large bag packed with gifts [including cosmetics, trinkets, etc], with wrapping and tissue paper, etc. Including this recent visit to Bkk and other parts of Asia
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ycc777
I booked a trip US-Asia, and tried to take advantage of the free stopover at Bangkok for a few days of extra vacation. So, I was planning to bring two big suitcases of my personal stuff for the month long trip and gifts for family/friends. Does this mean that I will be taxed at Bangkok custom even though I'll be bringing them with me after a few days?
Are you carrying commercial merchandise? I've had over 100 entries at DMK and another nearly 100 at Suvarnabhumi. Never had a customs agent look in my bags. X-rayed a couple of times.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
You might want to leave the bags at left luggage in the airport. Cheap and beats the hassle of dragging them around BKK.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:47 am
Original Poster

really? How does that work? I have 4 days there. Can they do 4 days?

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
You might want to leave the bags at left luggage in the airport. Cheap and beats the hassle of dragging them around BKK.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
really? How does that work? I have 4 days there. Can they do 4 days?
Sure. Details here:

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/134

I have not used the service, but should be pretty easy. I would not leave anything of great value in the luggage though, just to be safe.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I have used the Left Luggage at BKK, and never had a problem.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much!!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Sure. Details here:

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/134

I have not used the service, but should be pretty easy. I would not leave anything of great value in the luggage though, just to be safe.
Agreed about the left luggage service, pretty good, when I went downtown for a couple of hours during a lengthy transit I left my backpack there.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

I forgot to ask since it's not mentioned on the linked page, how late do they open till? My flight won't get in until 10PM so I assume I won't get my luggage till at least 10:30-11PM. Will I still be able to use this service?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I forgot to ask since it's not mentioned on the linked page, how late do they open till? My flight won't get in until 10PM so I assume I won't get my luggage till at least 10:30-11PM. Will I still be able to use this service?
One caution about Left Luggage. After a short period of time they move your baggage off site. I don't remember how many days that is. But the last time I did it, it took about 1 hour to retrieve the bags. So check when you drop them so you can plan for timing on your departure.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
One caution about Left Luggage. After a short period of time they move your baggage off site. I don't remember how many days that is. But the last time I did it, it took about 1 hour to retrieve the bags. So check when you drop them so you can plan for timing on your departure.
Thanks. Do you know their hour of operation? My departure flight is late evening as well so I do have plenty of time to get the luggage. My worry is their opening and closing time with my late schedule.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:15 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I would not leave anything of great value in the luggage though, just to be safe.
I would think your items would be much safer with you. You're staying for 4 days. Just bring the bags with you and leave them in the corner of your room (locked, of course).
Old Apr 5, 2014, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I would think your items would be much safer with you. You're staying for 4 days. Just bring the bags with you and leave them in the corner of your room (locked, of course).
+1. Why ask for problems?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.