Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lθse-majestι, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Please excuse my hastiness / panicking.

I'm booked to go to the Mai Samui resort on Koh Samui on the 15th July.
Girlfriend wants to cancel and rebook for Bahamas.
I guess the sensible thing to do would be just that.
Always wanted to go to Thailand guess it'll have to wait another year
Old May 22, 2014, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by jonnymcg

I have trips planned for late June and mid-July, spending time in Bangkok, Pattaya and Udon. Taking the Mrs. on one of the trips.

Zero plans to cancel because of this. Zero worries about safety.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
As of Friday morning these are the impacts I see:

All TV stations are shut down. Only broadcasting Military music. That includes CNN, BBC, etc. I did find one Australian station still available.

The curfew was 10:00 to 5:00 last night. Today it will be Midnight to 4:00. MRT, BTS, etc. all shut down an hour or so before the curfew starts so their people can get home.

The coup wasn't announced until 5'ish so people rushed to go home before the curfew. Traffic nightmare. I was already at home so it didn't hit me.

I saw a handful of soldiers around Lumpini and Shinawatra 3 but none anywhere else. I'm sure there are some out in the street, but it's not like tanks are rolling through the city.

BKK is probably safer today than yesterday. But that could change depending on how the various factions respond to the coup.

Bars are closing early or not opening at all and there are some complaints about that.

Public transport including taxis all running normally so far (except during the curfew).
Old May 22, 2014, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Putt86
Wonder if it'll be an issue for hotels to get taxi for people to go airport before 5 AM? I have a 0650 am flight to Tokyo on this Tuesday? I'm still going to fly this Sunday and would appreciate if anyone can share their insights on BKK from ground.
The military has announced exceptions to the curfew. While this wasn't one of them, they also said that if you have to go out, check with a soldier nearby for verfication.

Curfew is supposed to change from 10:00 - 5:00 last night to 12:00 to 4:00 tonight so that should cover you.

Originally Posted by 110pgl
I have trips planned for late June and mid-July, spending time in Bangkok, Pattaya and Udon. Taking the Mrs. on one of the trips.

Zero plans to cancel because of this. Zero worries about safety.
I second that. As of right now BKK is probably even safer than it was last week.

I think one emphasis has to be on the word aBroad used in the title: "Peaceful". So far that is completely accurate. And likely to stay that way. Until it changes.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; May 22, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Old May 22, 2014, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I usually do 2 trips a year and am still looking at mid-June-early July with some days needed in Bangkok. Might cut back the BKK days to a bare minimum in favor of anywhere else.

I think the fear that forced the military's hand was having camps of both reds and yellows in BKK, as it's hard to imagine that staying peaceful. Having such a deliberately obstructed government also doesn't help.

Pattaya, Phuket and Samui are yellow territory while Chiang Mai is red, but you just don't see much evidence of political activity at all in places like that.

It wasn't really that long ago that military coups were business as usual. There was one some 6 months after my first trip.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.

Hard to imagine a clampdown continuing through July in a place with so little political importance as Samui unless there are more shoes to drop and this really is the skirmish to settle all skirmishes (unlikely), but I know that's a tough sell to a GF, especially if it's a first trip.

The State Department has been dutifully telling people to stay away from any demonstrations

OTOH, if things really head south the language will read that they urge people to defer all nonessential travel (or even advise against any travel at all) there, and they haven't reached that point yet.

Just like the airport blockade and the central shopping area blockade, though, this'll cost the country a lot on tourism, at least in the short term.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Correct, at this time, the USA still has this pegged as only a Travel Alert:
Demonstrations, primarily in the greater Bangkok area and occasionally elsewhere in Thailand, are continuing, and there have been regular incidents of violence. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid all protests, demonstrations, and large gatherings. Protests may occur in Bangkok or in nearby areas with little or no prior notice. This Travel Alert supersedes the Travel Alert issued on February 14, 2014, and will expire on August 19, 2014.
This is a step below a Travel Warning, which has not been issued at this time:
We issue a Travel Warning when we want you to consider very carefully whether you should go to a country at all. Examples of reasons for issuing a Travel Warning might include unstable government, civil war, ongoing intense crime or violence, or frequent terrorist attacks. We want you to know the risks of traveling to these places and to strongly consider not going to them at all. Travel Warnings remain in place until the situation changes; some have been in effect for years.
For contextual reference, some of the countries with current Travel Warnings in place are Iran, North Korea, Syria and Ukraine, so not on the same scale at all.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; May 22, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Old May 22, 2014, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Prayuth has just named himself PM. Probably the only thing he could do as just about anyone else would have been viewed as partisan by one group or another. This will probably help keep things quiet. At least for a few days.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat/ UA Gold/ Marriott Platinum
I have a 6am flight, the hotel says using cab during curfew shouldn't be a problem.

Should I leave early and camp at the airport or take a chance of leaving at 3am?
Old May 22, 2014, 10:27 pm

Some transport related info for anyone in BKK (For now, assume a curfew for the same time tonight. Times may be adjusted or lifted - unlikely)

1) BTS & MRT will close at 9pm tonight.

9pm for the ARL as well!

2) BMTA buses are operating until 11pm as of now - last night many people were still travelling home on buses after 10pm.

3) Assume that shopping centers will close tonight at 8pm.

4) Read the previous posts regarding travel to & from the airports.

Have an enjoyable day!

Last edited by Yappofloyd; May 22, 2014 at 10:51 pm
Old May 22, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
National News Bureau of Thailand: Public transport services normal (emphasis added)
BANGKOK, 23 May 2014, 11:27 ICT (NNT) – Public Transportation under the Ministry of Transport continues to provide services follow the curfew declaration by the National Peace and Order Maintaining Council (NPOMC). The curfew prohibits people from being outside their residences between 10 P.M.- 5 A.M., as of yesterday (22nd May), until further notice.

Nevertheless transportation systems, including road transport, air transport, and train transport, are providing normal services.

Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) will provide buses until 11 P.M.. Railways are operating normally.

People who bought tickets for any train service from 22nd May 2014 onwards, are welcome to request a full refund without any deductions until further notice.

Passengers who want to travel during the curfew are recommended to start earlier by at least 2 hours, to allow for any emergency.

MRT Skytrain service will begin daily at 6 A.M. and end at 9 P.M. The Airport Rail Link will also close at 9 P.M.

Airports of Thailand (AOT) has also announced that flights continue normally. Departing passengers who need to travel to the airport during the curfew using private vehicles have to present their tickets and passport to the authorities on request.

Anyone picking up passengers at Suvarnabhumi Airport, can ask for a permit to do so, in the 4th floor departure hall at gate 3 and 5 or the 2nd floor information counter at departure hall gate 3.

For more information, please visit www.thaiairways.com, www.thaismileair.com, or contact THAI Contact Center 0 2356 1111, AOT Contact Center 1722, Don Mueang Airport 0 2535 3861.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, SPG Plat75, Hyatt Plat

I don't want to tell you what to do, as each person has different risk tolerances about situations like this. I will, however, give you my personal perspective. I live in Bangkok, which is considered the "most unstable" area of the country, and I would have absolutely zero qualms about a trip to Koh Samui. I have not heard of any political activity/conflict/instability in that area, and aside from the curfew - all reports indicate life has been going on as usual. During the coup in 2006 and the 2010 unrest, life went on as usual in Koh Samui as well.

We have plans for six separate visitors to stay with us in Bangkok over the next month, along with trips to Chiang Mai and Phuket. The situation here is stable for now, and we do not plan to make any changes to our visitors' travel unless things drastically spiral out of control. While nobody knows what the future will bring, I do not feel unsafe or in danger. Thailand is a beautiful country with such hospitable people - it would be a shame to miss out.

That said, you have to do what you think is right for you and your girlfriend. If the stress of traveling to a country under martial law would prevent you from relaxing and truly enjoying your vacation, then perhaps the Bahamas would be a more suitable location. Good luck in your decision making!
Old May 23, 2014, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kraftwagen
I have a 6am flight, the hotel says using cab during curfew shouldn't be a problem.

Should I leave early and camp at the airport or take a chance of leaving at 3am?
The army has said that travel to and from the airport is exempt from the curfew.
Old May 23, 2014, 5:10 am

I just left Bangkok this morning having spent 2 nights there. The afternoon the coup was announced, I was in a shopping mall, where nothing seemed out of ordinary. Only until about 7PM I noticed something was up because the cafe I wanted to go to told me of their limited service.

The worst part for me was the jammed BTS going back to hotel, but I never, at any point, felt unsafe.
Old May 23, 2014, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by ThaiThai
That said, you have to do what you think is right for you and your girlfriend. If the stress of traveling to a country under martial law would prevent you from relaxing and truly enjoying your vacation, then perhaps the Bahamas would be a more suitable location. Good luck in your decision making!
++1
If she's not confortable going she won't relax / enjoy even if everything is very calm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.