Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lčse-majesté, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Old May 22, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Question

Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
As an announcement by the military that there will be a general curfew tonight from 10pm to 5am tomorrow.

If you have a flight tonight......leave early. (That being said the last curfew back on 19 May 2010 was not exactly completely strict. Better not to break it though).
I arrived here last night.... My first ever coup! For anybody who was here last time this happened, did all the businesses and markets completely shut down at 10:00pm? Guess I'll find out in a few hours!
Old May 22, 2014, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Paella747
I arrived here last night.... My first ever coup! For anybody who was here last time this happened, did all the businesses and markets completely shut down at 10:00pm? Guess I'll find out in a few hours!
The last curfew was on 19 May 2010 from 8pm and busy streets were deserted However, I noted many people driving until after 11pm. The army will be worried about blow back from pro govt supporters so don't get caught being out too late.

Yes expect everything to be shut aside from 7/11s etc
Old May 22, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Nice ! Will be arriving Friday just what I need.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Thai army chief announces military coup

BANGKOK, May 22, 2014 (AFP) - Thailand's army chief announced in a televised address to the nation on Thursday that the armed forces were seizing power after months of deadly political turmoil.

"In order for the country to return to normal quickly, the National Peace Keeping Committee comprised of the army, the Thai armed forces, the Royal Air Force and the police need to seize power as of May 22 at 4.30 pm," army chief Prayut Chan-O-Cha said.

The commander-in-chief, who invoked martial law on Tuesday, said the coup was needed to prevent the conflict escalating.

"All Thais must remain calm and government officials must work as normal," he added.

The move came after military-hosted talks between the kingdom's political rivals apparently failed to reach a compromise on ending nearly seven months of mass protests on the streets of Bangkok...
Read full article at http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Regio...military-coup/

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; May 22, 2014 at 8:37 am Reason: Fix quote, attribution. See FT rule #9, posting of copyrighted material (http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#copyrighted)
Old May 22, 2014, 6:40 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
What are the areas to avoid for those visiting Bangkok in the near future?
Old May 22, 2014, 6:45 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by agp423
What are the areas to avoid for those visiting Bangkok in the near future?
Keep an eye on the map linked to in the Wiki above. Situation too fluid to be able to say what will be in the near future.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
The last curfew was on 19 May 2010 from 8pm and busy streets were deserted However, I noted many people driving until after 11pm. The army will be worried about blow back from pro govt supporters so don't get caught being out too late.

Yes expect everything to be shut aside from 7/11s etc
I was just now watching CNN in the hotel, and the screen went to some Thai writing and chanting songs. So I turned to BBC, and a few minutes later the same thing happened to that channel.... Knocking out all the channels? Wow....

Good thing I like airports, because I'm going to have to arrive waaaaaaaayyyy early for my flight next week if this curfew lasts......
Old May 22, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Nevermind. I hate how it only shows a portion of the wiki now. Cerfew is Curfew 10PM - 5AM which may cause problems with me 7:35 AM flight with a 55 min connect in Japan
Old May 22, 2014, 7:32 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
Nevermind. I hate how it only shows a portion of the wiki now. Cerfew is Curfew 10PM - 5AM which may cause problems with me 7:35 AM flight with a 55 min connect in Japan
Normally, I'd say no problem as you could be at the airport by 6am at the latest, but it will be interesting to see what kinds of checkpoints you encounter along the way and what sorts of backups they cause.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:43 am

Thai Visa minute by minute feed

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/...ay-2014/page-5
Old May 22, 2014, 7:56 am

As an announcement by the military that there will be a general curfew tonight from 10pm to 5am tomorrow.

If you have a flight tonight......leave early. (That being said the last curfew back on 19 May 2010 was not exactly completely strict. Better not to break it though).
. . . . Curfew 10PM - 5AM which may cause problems with me 7:35 AM flight with a 55 min connect in Japan
Travel to the airport is excused. Just keep a printout of your flight details handy in case you're stopped.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:58 am

"Thai army spokesman says that people heading to the airport to leave #Thailand can do so at any time day & night #ThaiCoup"

Hopefully, all the military at checkpoints get the memo......
Old May 22, 2014, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ft101
Travel to the airport is excused. Just keep a printout of your flight details handy in case you're stopped.
"Thai army spokesman says that people heading to the airport to leave #Thailand can do so at any time day & night #ThaiCoup"

Hopefully, all the military at checkpoints get the memo......
Thanks, Ill have to find a way to print a new copy. I initially had an 11AM flight that i switched the night before outbound departure so have no proof of my current return flights. Not sure if they would take the older one thinking i was headed out too early.

*Edit*

News is faster than the state department:

[email protected]
8:16 PM (4 hours ago)

to me
U.S. Embassy Bangkok

Emergency Message

Thursday, May 22, 2014

This message is to inform U.S. citizens that the Royal Thai Army has announced it has seized control of the administration of the country effective 4:30 PM on May 22, 2014. Authorities have announced a countrywide curfew from 10PM to 5AM. U.S. citizens are advised to stay alert, exercise caution, and monitor media coverage. You are advised to avoid areas where there are protest events, large gatherings, or security operations and follow the instructions of Thai authorities.

U.S. citizens are cautioned that even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid protest sites, demonstrations, and large gatherings. Be alert and aware of your surroundings and pay attention to local news media reports. You should allow extra time when travelling throughout the city or to/from airports. Consider using public transportation.

U.S. citizens who travel to or reside in Thailand are strongly advised to enroll in the State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) https://step.state.gov/step/. U.S. citizens without Internet access may enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. By enrolling, you make it easier for the U.S. embassy or consulate to contact you in case of an emergency.

Unless otherwise indicated in a public announcement, the U.S. Embassy is open for all routine American Citizens Services by appointment. U.S. citizens needing emergency assistance do not need an appointment. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy (http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html) is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok, and can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049, or by e-mailing [email protected]. The Embassy's after-hours emergency telephone number is 66- 2-205-4000.

The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai (http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service.html), located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai, is also open unless otherwise indicated. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107- 777 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878. You can also follow the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok's American Citizen Services Unit on Twitter for further updates.

Last edited by CDKing; May 22, 2014 at 8:21 am
Old May 22, 2014, 8:39 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Paella747
I was just now watching CNN in the hotel, and the screen went to some Thai writing and chanting songs. So I turned to BBC, and a few minutes later the same thing happened to that channel.... Knocking out all the channels? Wow....

Good thing I like airports, because I'm going to have to arrive waaaaaaaayyyy early for my flight next week if this curfew lasts......
SPG tv is working fine.

Actually so are many non-English news stations. Many are running their Emglish news programs now.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:42 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
So, quick question - is it safe/advisable to go to Phuket?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.