Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lèse-majesté, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
There are already two threads in the thailand forum dealing with the events which is one too many. We really don't need a third thread.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by yosithezet
At the moment, this is the equivalent of being in Manhattan when there is a gang war going on in Staten Island and wondering if JFK is going to be closed.
Is the Thai government paying you to promote tourism? That's the most bizarre analogy I've ever heard. The facts are up to 100,000 people have been protesting, it has turned violent at times, protestors have commandeered garbage trucks to try to break through barricades at the prime minister's office, Government House. In fact, the last time this happened in 2010, they did actually close the international airport. So not only is the situation a vastly different scale, but the most recent precedent directly belies your analogy.

Maybe you're right it's not much of an impact on tourists right now, but from what I've read, there is still some (depending on the day major or minor) impact on buses, traffic, transit, the malls, etc. Why the need to so persistently downplay things?

Here's the latest news:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25190314
Looks like there's a nice map showing where some of the protests are happening.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Paul - just read the tweets for the latest news (TV is behind the times)

https://twitter.com/jonrussell/lists/thai-protests-2013
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
BBC is OK, but if you want the latest news, I've been using Twitter: https://twitter.com/jonrussell/lists/thai-protests-2013

People on the ground reporting in real time. I never understood the value of Twitter, but now I understand at least one good use. And it's better than the news from the TV which is hours old, whereas in this case twitter is real time.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by astroflyer
Is the Thai government paying you to promote tourism? That's the most bizarre analogy I've ever heard. The facts are up to 100,000 people have been protesting, it has turned violent at times, protestors have commandeered garbage trucks to try to break through barricades at the prime minister's office, Government House.
Tourists don't go to Government House or that area in general. And taxis are definitely avoiding that area of Sri Ayuthaya Rd. Take a xanax and chill.

In fact, the last time this happened in 2010, they did actually close the international airport. So not only is the situation a vastly different scale, but the most recent precedent directly belies your analogy.
You're history is woefully incorrect as you're mixing red shirt and yellow protests. Clearly you're out of your league here.

Again, why all the angst about things that you're unlikely to be near? Be aware of the situation but your concern is bordering on alarmist and obsessive.

Maybe you're right it's not much of an impact on tourists right now, but from what I've read, there is still some (depending on the day major or minor) impact on buses, traffic, transit, the malls, etc. Why the need to so persistently downplay things?
Why the need to be so alarmist? And why not listen to what those who are in Bangkok are saying?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:10 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Is the Thai government paying you to promote tourism? That's the most bizarre analogy I've ever heard. The facts are up to 100,000 people have been protesting, it has turned violent at times, protestors have commandeered garbage trucks to try to break through barricades at the prime minister's office, Government House. In fact, the last time this happened in 2010, they did actually close the international airport. So not only is the situation a vastly different scale, but the most recent precedent directly belies your analogy.
My analogy was spot on. The 100K or 400K people in front of Central World was a single protest 10 days ago. The numbers are nowhere near that in the past 10 days. Over the past few days there have been some street battles between protesters and police and an incident elsewhere in the city where the supporters of the gov't were gathering and the anti-gov't confronted them and things got crazy.

One of the things I have learned from many years in places where there is trouble is that it is important to have an idea of what is actually going on so that you can understand what to do in order to stay safe. Is the violence random or is it in specific areas? Are they targeting just anyone or specific people they can identify? As such, the other thread is very important and much more relevant than a thread asking if the airport is open or closed. The other thread gives an idea of how things are progressing so that it will be easier to understand if things are getting better or worse and if there is need for concern.

The situation has not been on a vastly different scale, actually. The situation has been that there have been a few specific areas with some skirmishes which have been between the protesters and the police and one day when it was between supporters and detractors of the gov't.

As dquared noted, the airport closure was in 2008 when groups similar in stance to the group protesting now occupied the airport. Even then they were demonstrating at gov't facilities, not just any part of town.

In 2010 what happened was that the group that is now in gov't shut down two major areas in the center of Bangkok for two months. I read your response while sitting not 50 meters from the very location where the shopping mall was set on fire. I was there every two weeks or so and watched as the atmosphere turned from that of a carnival to one that was darker and more dangerous. That was more widespread only towards the final days when tires were burning at intersections in various parts of the city. Then, as now, I follow twitter to keep an eye on whether or not things are safe for me to move around and go about a normal routine.

The impact is really pretty minor. Central World was closed this past Sunday, so Emporium and Terminal 21 were packed. I've never taken a bus. The skytrain was running more slowly on Sunday it seems. We are not downplaying, but rather try to give you a bit of the actual reality. I lived in Israel for many years. Over the years when something was on the news about terror or whatnot in Israel, my family would ask if everything is ok. They were worried. My mother was in Jerusalem during a terror attack. But she wasn't at the location of the attack. She realised that for her everything was fine. On 9/11 she was at home in Western Pa. The attacks were tragic but were hundreds and hundreds of miles away. Did I need to worry abut her when the attacks were nowhere near her? Here things are not different. Keep an eye on twitter and you will know if there is anything to be concerned about. Better yet, watch the other thread and you will quickly know if there is anything to be concerned about.

Here's the latest news:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25190314
Looks like there's a nice map showing where some of the protests are happening.
Richard Barrow's twitter feed and his Bangkok Dangerous map are a far better and more immediate source for this information.

The BBC and these int'l outlets are nice, but they aren't as reliable and knowledgeable as what you will get by way of Twitter and the folks in the other thread. Someone on twitter posted a clip of some reporter who was reporting very calmly while in Thai people behind him are yelling to run as there was tear gas or rubber bullets or some such coming. But they were yelling in Thai and he was oblivious to it. I wouldn't rely on these sources so much. That map is nice. Note there is no label on the airport. So do you think this is the airport that was closed in 2008? Is it the one you are likely to use when arriving from abroad?

Now you shouldn't need to be an expert in Thai politics and geography in order to enjoy a vacation in Bangkok. All that I'm saying is that there is news that makes headlines and sells papers (well, used to) and there are the facts on the ground and the opinions of people like transpac and seanthepilot and dsquared who have lived here for many years and speak Thai pretty fluently. A thread where you are just asking if the airport is open/closed and whatnot is a moving target and the folks with real knowledge won't be interested in following this every day and commenting. The discussion around politics in the other thread serves the purpose of helping those discussing it hone their feeling for the direction things are going in. In a thread only asking what the current situation is at this or that very moment will simply get answers like those of transpac. Yes. No. Yes. No. That isn't actually very helpful for someone with plans to come 2 weeks from now.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:13 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I think the meaning behind Yosi's comments were spot on.

Even at the height of trouble years ago, life was going on as normal in the rest of Bangkok. I was running errands out of government offices in '10, and it was business as usual.

But, things can change.

If you want your own thread, fine. Some people will post and check here, or there, or both. Not a big deal.

I see nothing wrong with trying to sort out details in a logical manner. And people do get concerned about these things. Since I have nothing else to add though, that's it for me.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:00 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
So far, this thread has been a lot of "we don't need a new thread, just check this other place I will mention but not link to." Not as helpful as it could be, so I've collected some links below:

Dec 3 BBC update: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25190314
Dec 2 BBC update: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25180865

General Thai News thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...-new-post.html

40-person Twitter list showing many reports and updates: https://twitter.com/jonrussell/lists/thai-protests-2013

Travel blogger Richard Barrow's Thai news twitter feed: https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow

Map of protest sites: http://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/11...november-2013/
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
We land in few hours for a couple of days of fun in Bangkok over the extended holiday for HRM birthday. We'll be at Silom, Chinatown, Tawan Daeng and a few other places, if I see something extraordinary, I'll post it.

Yosi, dsquared, transpac and Sean have always provided valuable feedback in the past on BKK issues.

Last edited by BangkokTraveler; Dec 4, 2013 at 1:23 am
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
We land in few hours for a couple of days of fun in Bangkok over the extended holiday for HRM birthday. We'll be at Silom, Chinatown, Tawan Daeng and a few other places, if I see something extraordinary, I'll post it.

Yosi, dsquared and Sean have always provided valuable feedback in the past on BKK issues.
I thank you and wish you a great time.

Last edited by dsquared37; Dec 4, 2013 at 2:12 am
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:50 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by c_9
So far, this thread has been a lot of "we don't need a new thread, just check this other place I will mention but not link to." Not as helpful as it could be, so I've collected some links below:

Dec 3 BBC update: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25190314
Dec 2 BBC update: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25180865

General Thai News thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...-new-post.html

40-person Twitter list showing many reports and updates: https://twitter.com/jonrussell/lists/thai-protests-2013

Travel blogger Richard Barrow's Thai news twitter feed: https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow

Map of protest sites: http://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/11...november-2013/
This is great information. Thanks for consolidating and posting links.

Maybe we should add this to a Wikipost at the start of the Thailand News thread?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:04 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

As one (of many) affected by the protests in late 2006/early 2007 and the airport takeover in 2008, a separate thread is welcome here.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:24 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Looks like Monday will be the crunch time (noting it is Mon 9 Dec not 10 Dec as written in the Bangkok Post).

Anti-government protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban declared last night that demonstrators will "blow the final whistle" on Monday to seize power from the Yingluck Shinawatra administration.

Mr Suthep announced at the government complex, the main rally site, that he would not prolong the protest any longer but would make it clear on Monday that demonstrators will "win or lose".

"D-Day time will be 9.39am (Monday 10 Dec). You, Bangkokians, just leave your homes in the morning and march along the roads, all roads in Bangkok, to the same destination - Government House, and we will not return here...

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:Suthep calls 'final battle' for Monday | Bangkok Post: news. View our policies at Bangkok Post: Terms and conditions of use and Bangkok Post: Republishing policy. © Post Publishing PCL. All rights reserved.
Here's hoping things are back to normal from a tourist perspective ASAP.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:26 am

I've been here since Wednesday (Dec 4). Haven't seen anything - if it wasn't for news reports, I'd never know anything was happening. Malls are open, traffic exists as usual, etc. Tourists are definitely lighter than times past - and that's about all one can see. The hotel GM said they've had a bunch of cancellations, but personally it's made my trip even better. Less people around, which is nice.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
As one (of many) affected by the protests in late 2006/early 2007 and the airport takeover in 2008, a separate thread is welcome here.
The only potential 'inconvenience' is if they shut the airport down. But given the 2008 debacle and the negative impact on tourism, I doubt any side would be silly enough to make the same mistake!

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
The hotel GM said they've had a bunch of cancellations, but personally it's made my trip even better. Less people around, which is nice.
^^^ POV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.