Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for posting questions and specific news/updates of direct relevance to those traveling in or to the area.
Discussion of underlying and peripheral issues, comparisons to similar past events, and speculation about future conditions
belong in OMNI/PR or the Thai News & Open Discussion Thread. Off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Thanks for your assistance.

Update

13 June 2014:

Curfew has been lifted nationwide.

Travel advisories issued by a number of foreign governments remain in place. Check your country's embassy or consular website for travel advice and updates.

Courts martial have been established for violators of criminal code sections dealing with lθse-majestι, and those covering the broad subject of "national security" (including civilian violators). The NCPO has warned that it will crackdown on anti-coup protests if they do not cease. Visitors are strongly advised to stay away from all political gatherings.

Media gag has been eased, but strict censorship orders are in place, with local press and broadcast outlets reporting only approved content. ISPs have been ordered to monitor social media, and to block disruptive or "negative" content. Accurate and comprehensive information remains difficult to obtain, both in and out of the country. Censorship violations are among those subject to courts martial.

Hotlines for Tourists in Thailand
  • TAT Call Centre 1672
  • Tourist Police Call Centre 1155
  • Traffic Police Call Centre 1197
  • BMTA (city bus and van service) Call Centre 1348
  • BTS Hotline +66 (0) 2617 6000
  • MRT Customer Relations Center +66 (0) 2624 5200
  • SRT (train service) Call Centre 1690
  • Transport Co., Ltd., (inter-provincial bus service) Call Centre 1490
  • AOT (Suvarnabhumi Airport) Call Centre 1722
  • Thai Airways International Call Centre +66 (0) 2356 1111
  • Bangkok Airways Call Centre 1771
  • Nok Air Call Centre 1318
  • Thai AirAsia Call Centre +66 (0) 2515 9999

Links to External Information Sources

Special thanks to FTer c_9 for initiating this Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Safety of Travel in Thailand 2014 — Martial Law, Peaceful Military Coup

Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:24 pm

What to do if you get tear gassed !

Ok.....I know this is not a normal question ,

but I am in Bangkok now , the Police have been using tear gas to slow down the protesters ,

So what do i bring in my day pack when I am going out ?

I do not plan on being anywhere near the demonstrations , BUT tear gas can be moved by wind etc,

so is tear gas basically just chili pepper extract ?

is there anything I can get at the drug store to wash out my eyes and neutralize the tear gas ?
what about when you breath it ?

thanks for your ideas , yes I could go on google , but that is not "real life" and I am sure others may also get some information here if they get caught in the wrong place....
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:53 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just work through it buddy!

Tear gas is not chilli pepper, I find it hits the throat first and I have never had problems with my eyes.

There was a time when I was getting gassed in Bogotα about once a week, it is nasty but non fatal and unless you take a direct hit then the effects begin to wear off in the time it would take to get some or other remedy out of your daypack.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Ok.....I know this is not a normal question ,

but I am in Bangkok now , the Police have been using tear gas to slow down the protesters ,

So what do i bring in my day pack when I am going out ?

I do not plan on being anywhere near the demonstrations , BUT tear gas can be moved by wind etc,

so is tear gas basically just chili pepper extract ?

is there anything I can get at the drug store to wash out my eyes and neutralize the tear gas ?
what about when you breath it ?

thanks for your ideas , yes I could go on google , but that is not "real life" and I am sure others may also get some information here if they get caught in the wrong place....
In simple terms:

- If you're a low level grunt, and must do business there, because orders is orders, then restrict your movements to the office and the hotel

- If you have a choice, why put your money into the economy of a fake democracy?

Seriously, you might as well go to China or Vietnam, instead. At least they're honest about what they are .
Old Dec 26, 2013, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Internaut
In simple terms:

- If you're a low level grunt, and must do business there, because orders is orders, then restrict your movements to the office and the hotel

- If you have a choice, why put your money into the economy of a fake democracy?

Seriously, you might as well go to China or Vietnam, instead. At least they're honest about what they are .
umm and there is no tear gas there I guess......

Hey I live in Los angeles , it is dangerous there too and more so if you are in the wrong area , same as in Bangkok ,

its a small area of a city of 16 million ,

but anyway , I have a taxi coming soon to take me to a factory out of town , gee I hope I make it to the street
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
I was out Sunday and the MRT Subway was packed and a 10 minute line to "check out" at Asok / sukhumvit ,

stay away from it all, there is no way to tell when it will turn ugly , do not go around taking photos of the protests , reporters have been beaten up,

do not wear red or yellow shirts , if it gets heated up you may be a target of the mob....

most of the protesters are peaceful. but there is a small group of young men just looking for a fight ,

I look at Richard Barrow's Thai twitter feed , it is very up to date ,
I also have a few buddies that SMS when they see something close to where we normally travel.

this is going to continue for weeks if not months , learn ways around the traffic/ protests by Skytrain or Metro subway.

just be smart and stay away from the protest areas
I am currently scheduled to visit Bangkok on Feb. 1 -- Two days before the scheduled elections. Given the protests (and violence) having taken place in the last few days regarding those elections --- any thoughts on whether I should plan on visiting at the beginning of my trip (10 days before) or should skip BKK altogether?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
It depends on if they are using CN or CS gas. CS is the more potent of the two and is likely what they are using.

Other than a faint exposure, it should cause your eyes to water heavily and close and make you feel as though you can't breathe. You'll be blowing a LOT of mucus.

Relax. It's not going to kill you.

Remove yourself from exposure, face a breeze (good luck with that in Bangkok), and allow the effects to subside. 20-30 minutes for full relief.

Do NOT rub your eyes. You can irrigate your eyes with plain water, but it doesn't help much.

I've been here for a week and haven't been gassed yet. But I also stay away from Government House and Victory Monument.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
It depends on if they are using CN or CS gas. CS is the more potent of the two and is likely what they are using.

Other than a faint exposure, it should cause your eyes to water heavily and close and make you feel as though you can't breathe. You'll be blowing a LOT of mucus.

Remove yourself from exposure, face a breeze (good luck with that in Bangkok), and allow the effects to subside. 20-30 minutes for full relief.

Do NOT rub your eyes. You can irrigate your eyes with plain water, but it doesn't help much.

I've been here for a week and haven't been gassed yet. But I also stay away from Government House and Victory Monument.
thanks for the reply , I have been here 2 weeks and so far no problems, but better to have the information before I need it !

thanks

Last edited by LAXlocal; Dec 27, 2013 at 5:56 am
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Safety of Travel in Bangkok [late 2013 protests]

if you can book refundable reservations, id do that. they may change the election date or even postpone it indefinitely. its a bit too far away to be sure what will happen that weekend.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Always Flyin

Speaking as an asthmatic, I'm pretty sure it would kill me.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Internaut
Speaking as an asthmatic, I'm pretty sure it would kill me.
Nope. Would just make you think you are going to die.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
First & foremost, avoid going anywhere near the troublesome area at all cost, postpone/delay & reschedule - Skype and/or video-conference if possible - unless you are getting hazardous pay, given the consular warnings & alerts issued, etc.

There's not much you can do if you are caught in the middle of it all (i.e. crowds getting chased & came in your direction of travel) and depending on method of deployment (portable sprayed, canister, launcher, thrown or dispersed by APC or other specialized LE vehicle, etc. - be street-smart about it, short of having your home office DHL/UPS/FedEx overnight direct to you - full N100 respirators with full protection / with proper fit-testing. In your day pack - take along a change of clothing, swimwear goggles (to protect the eyes) & wear shades/sunwear to minimie direct exposure, extra bottles of cold water for flushing (never, never use warm or hot water as it will open up the skin pores to make it worst)

http://www.ncemi.org/cse/cse0504.htm

Baby shampoo to wash/rinse supposed to help - after you cut off all exposed clothing & bag them for disposal (never pull them over the head as it will worsen your exposure to the agents used) and take shallow, quick breaths ... It's not fun at all and if you've been there for 2 weeks, then your are past due for bailing out - or your corporate HR & risk management need to rush you a serious urban survival kit, if you are going to be stationed there for a while. Time to get the hell out of there or else .... The odds are going to catch up with you
Old Dec 27, 2013, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Time to get the hell out of there or else .... The odds are going to catch up with you
In a city of 500 sq km?

Oi, the fear mongering is getting absurd.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
OP, the only way you're going to get tear gassed is if you go near where the protesters are camped out. Obviously you've been able to do that for the past two weeks. Why not just continue with that plan? (I've also been here for the past couple of weeks and I have no fear that I'm going to be gassed.)
Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:51 am

I really am not worried about being tear gassed ,

BUT , things happen that you do not expect , and its better to have some information,
the other day the tear gas drifted into a close by primary school , I wonder if that school knew anything about tear gas ?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm currently scheduled to be in Bangkok mid Jan and late Jan with a 24 hour layover each direction. I usually stay around Sukhumvit in one of the SPG properties but wondering if that's a good idea this time given the recent protests esp around Asoke BTS. My biggest concern is unpredictability of transportation in such a situation to/from the airport.

Any advice on alternate locations to stay to minimize the impact of potential protests? I like Sukhumvit area due to all the shopping and dining options within walking distance ( being able to use SPG points for free nights is obviously a plus) so any similar area would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.