Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK airport hotels or not?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: -
Pullman King Power

Seems to be a good value (~$90) and near an airport link station. What do you guys think? Also I'm an accor plat so would probably be upgraded.
Once again thank you so much for the advice so far!
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Early AM departure should mean little traffic - easy trip back to BKK.
I would suggest staying in city. But leave early for airport....traffic at passport control and security is incredibly busy in the morning hours. I've had many 7-8 am flights where the wait for economy class passengers over 1+ hr to check it and get through security -- and then you still que for passport check.

Originally Posted by jfkcnf
Thanks for the tips. Would a taxi/car service not be better though?
AOT R/T used to be a good deal but now with so many visitors from China, they often only have premium cars [BMW 7 series and Mercs] at inflated prices. Taxi upstairs at departure level is the best way to go. Coming back the next morning, ask the hotel to get you a taxi. Ride to airport at 4:30 am shouldn't be more than 30 minutes, giving you 2 1/2 hrs to get to gate.

If you have carry-on only and biz/first class ticket, can sleep longer

Last edited by dtsm; Oct 23, 2013 at 1:42 pm
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes.. I'm carry-on only. Arriving in TK J and departing TG J
Old Oct 23, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by dtsm

AOT R/T used to be a good deal but now with so many visitors from China, they often only have premium cars [BMW 7 series and Mercs] at inflated prices. Taxi upstairs at departure level is the best way to go. Coming back the next morning, ask the hotel to get you a taxi. Ride to airport at 4:30 am shouldn't be more than 30 minutes, giving you 2 1/2 hrs to get to gate.
The bolded is downright awful advice for a first time arrivee into BKK. It's poor advice for anyone with limited knowledge of Bangkok for that matter.

A Bangkok newbie who desires to take a taxi should always head down to Floor 1 and take a taxi from the meter stand. Sure you'll pony up an additional 50THB but the upstairs taxi will easily and quickly scam the less knowledgeable. After all, they are already flouting the AoT by being upstairs so what's to stop them from doing something additionally scheming.

With a 2PM arrival I'd still recommend taking the train into town and connecting to the hotel via MRT/BTS.

Thanks for the suggestions! Yes.. I'm carry-on only. Arriving in TK J and departing TG J
If you're departing on TG in a premium cabin then you'll have a dedicated security/immigration area which leads directly into the TG D concourse lounge. Factor 10-15 minutes from entering the airport until your inside the lounge.

Also, TG checkin counters open at 5AM IIRC so there's no need to leave the hotel before 4:30 and you can probably leave 5AM and still be comfortable.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Seems to be a good value (~$90) and near an airport link station. What do you guys think? Also I'm an accor plat so would probably be upgraded.
Location wise the Pullman does not seem that exciting. Being an Accor member I would certainly vote for the Novotel Bangkok Ploenchit as my first vote and Novotel on Siam Square as a second, the latest due to the proximitiy with the Siam Paragon shopping mall. The former one is next to the escalator of the BTS station that could let you go anywhere in the city where BTS goes to, including the Siam Paragon Shopping experience.

For the views, service and price I would go for the Novotel Ploenchit.

Taxi and train may take the same time; The former, more convenient once in the taxi but negotiable skills, ideally in Thai, are highly desirable. The train option works and cheaper, though you may have to lug your things from one train to the other. Stations have names and voice information in English - a more exciting experience if you are so inclined.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:41 am

Pullman - like the rooms, restaurants, gym, & pool. Location - not so much. There's some kinda Accor 40% off sale right now. I imagine you got the e-mail. 2nd Ploenchit. Great location. Grand Sukhumvit is a better hotel, but not located as well. Mecure Asoke is OK too. The rooms are huge. Honestly though, I never stay at any of these unless one of the big sales are on. IMO they aren't worth their retail $$. You might want to suck it up and stay at one of the Sofitels. They're way above the rest, treat plats great, and can be had for around 4000B.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
The bolded is downright awful advice for a first time arrivee into BKK. It's poor advice for anyone with limited knowledge of Bangkok for that matter.

A Bangkok newbie who desires to take a taxi should always head down to Floor 1 and take a taxi from the meter stand. Sure you'll pony up an additional 50THB but the upstairs taxi will easily and quickly scam the less knowledgeable. After all, they are already flouting the AoT by being upstairs so what's to stop them from doing something additionally scheming.
I stand by my original suggestion, with the following two thoughts:

1. Regardless of where you get the taxi [even at the official taxi line], once you're loaded into the vehicle, most drivers will try to charge a flat B500 fee for a ride that normally is 200-300 with tolls. Most drivers never use the meter, unless you are very persistent. Even with carry-on only and doing this for 20 years, I always get some idiot driver

2. Newbies don't know the upstairs option....but if you insist on the meter and give clear instructions, you'll get a taxi quicker.

This thread should be useful: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...on-thread.html

Last edited by dtsm; Oct 24, 2013 at 10:03 am
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:50 am

Having taken at least 200 cabs from the official taxi lines at BKK and before that at DMK, NOT ONCE has a cabbie asked for more than the meter. Upstairs the 1st guy may want 700, the next 500, the next 400, until you get a guy who'll flip the meter. Downstairs a newbie has the advantage of the dispatcher explaining at least you hotel's general vicinity to the driver as well. I tend to use the official lines at BKK, because the wait isn't bad. At DMK, now (just like the old days) the wait is often brutal and I head up to 'Arrivals'.

Last edited by whackyjacky; Oct 24, 2013 at 10:58 am
Old Oct 24, 2013, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stand by my original suggestion, with the following two thoughts:

1. Regardless of where you get the taxi [even at the official taxi line], once you're loaded into the vehicle, most drivers will try to charge a flat B500 fee for a ride that normally is 200-300 with tolls. Most drivers never use the meter, unless you are very persistent. Even with carry-on only and doing this for 20 years, I always get some idiot driver

2. Newbies don't know the upstairs option....but if you insist on the meter and give clear instructions, you'll get a taxi quicker.
Sure there's a chance that a downstairs taxi will try a scam of some sort but at least you'll have a form in hand which the drivers do seem to fear somewhat. The dispatch agents can also help as a go between for the hotel's location if necessary.

The few times recently I've used the downstairs dispatch there was no line whatsoever. Also I have never found a dispatched taxi who adamantly refused the meter. Perhaps they asked for a flat fee but then immediately turned on the meter thereafter.

Upstairs the quotes are all over the place and it can be tricky to find a driver willing to use the meter. The few times recently I've used the downstairs dispatch there was no line whatsoever. This is something that a novice should not be directed to... we are on opposite sides of this matter.

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Having taken at least 200 cabs from the official taxi lines at BKK and before that at DMK, NOT ONCE has a cabbie asked for more than the meter. Upstairs the 1st guy may want 700, the next 500, the next 400, until you get a guy who'll flip the meter. Downstairs a newbie has the advantage of the dispatcher explaining at least you hotel's general vicinity to the driver as well. I tend to use the official lines at BKK, because the wait isn't bad. At DMK, now (just like the old days) the wait is often brutal and I head up to 'Arrivals'.
The few times I've arrived at DMK recently I've just hopped onto the A1/A2 bus and for 30 THB I've been dropped off at the foot of MRT/BTS.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 7:23 pm

"The few times I've arrived at DMK recently I've just hopped onto the A1/A2 bus and for 30 THB I've been dropped off at the foot of MRT/BTS". - I'll have to give it a try D. Where do you pick it up ? Last cab ride to Mo Chit wasn't quick or cheap.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"The few times I've arrived at DMK recently I've just hopped onto the A1/A2 bus and for 30 THB I've been dropped off at the foot of MRT/BTS". - I'll have to give it a try D. Where do you pick it up ? Last cab ride to Mo Chit wasn't quick or cheap.
It has been parked right outside of the baggage carousels for Nok Air.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:00 am

Having taken at least 200 cabs from the official taxi lines at BKK and before that at DMK, NOT ONCE has a cabbie asked for more than the meter.
Since my first visit in 1977 and I visit couple of times a year for biz, 95% of time I had to insist on the meter....it usually goes like this:

1. Tell dispatcher my hotel, next to xxxx. He writes it down and hands to taxi
2. I carry my own bag and drop in front seat, hop in and usually make some calls.
3. As we pull out, I have to remind driver to turn on the meter. He plays dumb. I repeat my request politely with a thank you. He says B500. I say, stop the taxi and return me to the airport. He reluctantly turns the meter on. I say take highway, to Rama IX Rd and turn onto Ekamai. He gets the message....I'm not a dumb tourist!

So I guess I'm just unlucky!

Last edited by dtsm; Oct 25, 2013 at 1:28 pm
Old Oct 25, 2013, 1:25 pm

Will look into the Novotel! My company also has a lower rate at the Banyan Tree (3800THB I believe) Worth it? Or am I better off staying with the Novotel?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 1:34 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by pb9997
Being an Accor member I would certainly vote for the Novotel Bangkok Ploenchit as my first vote and Novotel on Siam Square as a second, the latest due to the proximitiy with the Siam Paragon shopping mall. The former one is next to the escalator of the BTS station that could let you go anywhere in the city where BTS goes to, including the Siam Paragon Shopping experience.
If you want to be close to Siam, down the street are a number of higher end hotels, including Intercon, Grand Hyatt Erawan, Four Seasons and newer St. Regis. The latter are one BTS stop away but also easy walking distance.

For the past few years I've stayed at Grand Centrepoint, Ratchadamri location, btw Hyatt and Four Seasons. Another Centrepoint is Terminal 21 on Sukhumvit. Both are excellent values, and one bedroom apt suites.

Under regular traffic conditions, less than B$300 taxi to airport
Old Oct 25, 2013, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3. As we pull out, I have to remind driver to turn on the meter. He plays dumb. I repeat my request politely with a thank you. He says B500. I say, stop the taxi and return me to the airport. He reluctantly turns the meter on.
Oh man, that sounds eerily familiar to my departure checklist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.