FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   stuck overnight in Bangkok (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1486371-stuck-overnight-bangkok.html)

JACKENSACK Jul 19, 2013 9:21 am

stuck overnight in Bangkok

I booked my boss on a flight from EWR to Rangoon in business using miles.
Due to a "late arriving aircraft delay" United changed his flight and one of the legs will have him stuck in Bankok (BKK) overnight.
What are his options or what should I tell him to do when he lands in BKK tomorrow night?

RS250Racer Jul 19, 2013 9:23 am

Get a hotel? Go check out the city?

WineCountryUA Jul 19, 2013 9:32 am

Appears travel has started?
In most circumstances UA should cover the cost of the hotel.
Do your own research to see if there is any other options at BKK and if so as for them (an an award ticket this will be harder than a paid ticket).
Does the individual have any UA status?

Gunner14 Jul 19, 2013 9:35 am

One night in Bangkok and the world's his oyster.

Kacee Jul 19, 2013 9:42 am

We should all have this problem.

Brattflyer Jul 19, 2013 9:57 am

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...t-Bangkok.html

I've stayed here a few times. It makes overnighting in Bangkok easy.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jul 19, 2013 10:22 am

Depends on how much time he has to kill. If he has a whole day to kill, send him into town. If less than 12 hours, probably not worth leaving airport - the Sofitel is right there.

FlytheTail Jul 19, 2013 10:30 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 21124770)
Depends on how much time he has to kill. If he has a whole day to kill, send him into town. If less than 12 hours, probably not worth leaving airport - the Sofitel is right there.

That's debatable -- I'd go into town if I had at least 6 hours between flights. Also, I think you're referring to the adjacent Novotel.

j1j2j38 Jul 19, 2013 10:35 am

If flying thai business, can get a foot or a shoulder massage at the royal thai spa if the hours line up with the connection.

TakeTheATrain Jul 19, 2013 11:13 am

I thought that the UA flights get in really late anyways and would require an overnight for an onward connection to Yangon (at least that was what I did last Fall). The Sofitel is a short walk from the terminal and is fairly nice. Good pool as well.

Indelaware Jul 19, 2013 11:14 am

Tell her/him to rejoice in having an unplanned evening off.

EmailKid Jul 19, 2013 11:19 am

Originally Posted by TakeTheATrain (Post 21125058)
I thought that the UA flights get in really late anyways and would require an overnight for an onward connection to Yangon (at least that was what I did last Fall.

Yes, UA gets in quite late. Don't see how anyone could connect before the morning (don't say next morning, as it's usually after midnight that I clears Immigration and head toward town).

EmailKid, wishing to be stuck in Thailand ....

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jul 19, 2013 11:22 am

Originally Posted by FlytheTail (Post 21124817)
That's debatable -- I'd go into town if I had at least 6 hours between flights. Also, I think you're referring to the adjacent Novotel.

I was assuming he's arriving around midnight from NRT.

AZjohns Jul 19, 2013 11:54 am

Of all the places in the world to be "stuck" at over night, this would rank in the top 3 :D
ATM, Cab, Downtown. Life is good!

FlytheTail Jul 19, 2013 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by JACKENSACK (Post 21124431)
What are his options or what should I tell him to do when he lands in BKK tomorrow night?

Many options -- here's a start:
1. Stay airside in a lounge or transit hotel (easy, safe, boring, lame)
2. Stay at the nearby Novotel (as above but nicer digs)
3. Slam a few Red Bulls, taxi it to the city, drink & eat till content, [insert shenanigans if applicable], return to the airport, take a shower, board the next plane.

So, it really depends on you and especially your boss (gender, age, marital status, etc.).