Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Over night layover in BKK.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Over night layover in BKK.

I will have a 7 hour layover in BKK next week. I’m not at all familiar with that airport and trying to figure out what to do. I arrive at 22:45 and leave at 06:00 the next morning. The lounges close at 02:00 and don’t want to sit out in the terminal for four hours.
Are there day rooms in the airport?
Is there a 24 hour Star Alliance lounge?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 5:23 am

It's Thai Airways home airport so pretty sure they'll have 24 hour lounge(s).
Old Jul 1, 2012, 8:03 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to Thailand Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 1, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you describe your connection? Domestic/International to Domestic/International? More details are always better than fewer.

Assuming int'l to int'l then there are Louis Tavern day-rooms air-side, and maybe some paid lounges. I do not believe there are any TG/*A lounges open ~ 01:00 - 04:15?

There are a surprising number of public areas with comfortable looking lounge chairs, padded benches, etc.

Last edited by transpac; Jul 1, 2012 at 8:50 am
Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Calmday
I will have a 7 hour layover in BKK next week. I’m not at all familiar with that airport and trying to figure out what to do. I arrive at 22:45 and leave at 06:00 the next morning. The lounges close at 02:00 and don’t want to sit out in the terminal for four hours.
Are there day rooms in the airport?
Is there a 24 hour Star Alliance lounge?
TG (*A) lounges close at 1 and open at 5. If you have Priority Pass or Diners Club then you can access the Louis Tavern lounges during that downtime. Otherwise you're gonna be in the terminal somewhere.

That's if you're on an Int-Int connection.

If you're on an Int-Dom connection then unfortunately you should just pony up to a food/drink establishment streetside on the second floor or head down to Magic Point food court on the first floor.

Originally Posted by ft101
It's Thai Airways home airport so pretty sure they'll have 24 hour lounge(s).
Nope.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:03 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
That's a pretty nasty layover

As transpac pointed out, more info is better then less @:-)

dsquared37 gave you the lounge info.

I will add that hotels are relatively inexpensive in Thailand, so my suggestion would be to exit BKK and get a room for a few hours sleep. See this forum for hotel suggestions close to the aiport. Taxis are also relatively cheap and widely available if you don't want to stay right by the airport and spend less money.

EmailKid
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid

I will add that hotels are relatively inexpensive in Thailand, so my suggestion would be to exit BKK and get a room for a few hours sleep. See this forum for hotel suggestions close to the aiport. Taxis are also relatively cheap and widely available if you don't want to stay right by the airport and spend less money.

EmailKid
While I agree that hotels are cheap and transpo readily available a 7 hour layover (block to block) is a difficult one to deal with. Even on a dom to dom transfer (so no immi on either side of the equation) you're still looking at no more than 4 hours in the hotel when you factor in getting bags, getting to the hotel, checking in, getting to sleep, getting up, back to the airport, chekcing in and to the plane.

I don't envy this style of overnight layover because I've done it.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
getting bags, getting to the hotel, checking in, getting to sleep, getting up, back to the airport, chekcing in and to the plane.

I don't envy this style of overnight layover because I've done it.
Bags

Haven't checked a bag since my position that required traveling with tools was eliminated when the economy went south

Still, I've done the four - five hour sleep thing and found it better than staying up all night. But to each his own.

EmailKid
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information guys. I am arriving on TG from PER and flying out on UA to NRT. I have pretty much resigned to roughing it for a few hours.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:21 pm

I was going to recommend some all night places, but your next flight is only to Japan, not NA or Europe. I kinda like being 'a quivering mass of ectoplasm' when I get on a morning plane home. I just completely crash on the Pacific leg and hopefully not earlier ! wj

Last edited by whackyjacky; Jul 1, 2012 at 6:36 pm
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Just an FYI. I did find day rooms air side of customs in the international terminal.
http://dayrooms-ciplounges.com/cip-lounge1.html
If anyone has any info, good or bad about these I would appreciate it.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 8:26 pm

Realize most TG flyers will opt for the clubs, but you can always look at the Thai Air forum in case someone posted there. Not everyone has club access.

EmailKid
Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just an FYI. I did find day rooms air side of customs in the international terminal.
http://dayrooms-ciplounges.com/cip-lounge1.html
You're looking at $80+ for a four hour stay for 1 person. Not sure if that also includes a bathroom. For longer stays or additional pax the cost goes up. I find the prices ridiculous for what I've been told the rooms are (never been inside them personally).

I'll usually doze off in the Louis Tavern lounges during the wee hours when all other lounges are closed. But if you don't have access to the lounges themselves then you don't have many options.

The room option is never something I would go for, but to each their own.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the information guys. I am arriving on TG from PER and flying out on UA to NRT. I have pretty much resigned to roughing it for a few hours.
The TG Royal Silk Lounge on Level 3, air-side, on the left-hand side of Concourse E seems to open quite early to service UA pax. I have entered this lounge many times at 04:30 and there are are many people already there so it must open ~ 04:15? This lounge is convenient for the UA departure, which has been leaving from gate D-7 lately.

I see many people over-nighting air-side in the terminal. There are many, many quiet, comfortable spots, with huge reclining chairs, and padded seats where people stretch out to sleep. I originate/terminate at SBIA so have no experience sleeping in the terminal.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid

EmailKid
If I exit BKK, upon returning, I will have to pay BKK departure tax right (700 baht ??). Add that to the hotel cost, then it might not be a cost effective option anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.