FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Help Itinerary Planning (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1356975-help-itinerary-planning.html)

BOS Eph Jun 15, 2012 7:33 am

Help Itinerary Planning

Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I are planning a 12 day trip around Thailand, Cambodia, and Malaysia this summer, and I'm just looking for some advice and suggestions.

The current plan is
7/28 Arrive Bangkok (10 pm)
7/29-7/31 Bangkok
8/1-8/3 Siem Reap
8/4-8/6 Kuala Lumpur
8/7-8/9 Koh Samui or Phuket
8/10 Depart Bangkok

First, does that seem to be a reasonable number of days in each place? I think the main goal is to experience a new culture and see new things, eat some good food (not necessarily expensive or fancy), and get a sense of the place, but I'd be open to suggestions of great activities or spots to see in each location. I've pushed to see Angkor Wat, and we're definitely going, but I think she'll get temple fatigue before I do, so any suggestions there would be appreciated.

Neither of us are big beach people, but I think it would be nice to have a quiet and relaxed end of the trip.

Hotels seem to be cheap enough that redeeming points isn't a good value, but we may do so just to limit the out of pocket expenses.

Here are my point balances. Any good suggestions on hotels in each place?
Club Carlson- 70,000 and can bump that up to 165,000 with their Big Night promotion before leaving.
Hilton- 250,000
Priority Club- 85,000

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions to make a great trip. I really appreciate them. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

CrazyInteg Jun 15, 2012 9:36 am

Yay, first reply. I know the replies below are going to say "It's too busy" or "it's too rushed". Yes it is possible, and yes it is doable. However it is really busy.

The first thing that pops out to me is, how do you plan to get from Kuala Lumpur to Ko Samui? There's no direct flight. At least with Phuket there is a direct flight.

I did 48 hours in Siem Reap. Arrived around 3pm, sunset at the temples, full day of temples, then morning at temples and finally fly out. It was enough time to see the temples, but I really want to go back just to see more of Siem Reap.

Not enough time for Phuket/Samui. Not to mention getting to Samui would take even more time.

How to make it better? Either eliminate Kuala Lumpur or Phuket/Samui. Spend one extra day in Bangkok and one extra day in whichever one you didn't eliminate.

There's nothing quiet and relaxing getting to the beach, spending 8 hours there, and then leaving the next day.

I can't help you on the points/hotels because you and I are completely different on that part.

Anyways, have fun!! There should be some good replies coming up soon from other members.

glennaa11 Jun 15, 2012 10:57 am

I'll preface by saying I have never been to KL, but I wonder why it is on this itinerary? Is there some special reason you need to go there? If not I would cut it and add a day in Siem Reap and maybe add a day to Bangkok to do a day trip somewhere out of the city. Maybe my impression is mistaken but it is that KL is just another giant SE Asian metropolis.

If you are really not into beaches then I would say don't feel obligated to go to one just to go. Maybe consider Chiang Mai instead. You can do quiet and relaxed in lots of places that aren't beaches. And anyway, not sure Phuket is considered either one of those things. :-)

dsquared37 Jun 15, 2012 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg (Post 18761736)

The first thing that pops out to me is, how do you plan to get from Kuala Lumpur to Ko Samui? There's no direct flight. At least with Phuket there is a direct flight.

Bangkok Air has a USM-KUL route now.

Originally Posted by glennaa11 (Post 18762256)
I'll preface by saying I have never been to KL, but I wonder why it is on this itinerary? Is there some special reason you need to go there? If not I would cut it and add a day in Siem Reap and maybe add a day to Bangkok to do a day trip somewhere out of the city. Maybe my impression is mistaken but it is that KL is just another giant SE Asian metropolis.

If you are really not into beaches then I would say don't feel obligated to go to one just to go. Maybe consider Chiang Mai instead. You can do quiet and relaxed in lots of places that aren't beaches. And anyway, not sure Phuket is considered either one of those things. :-)

I agree on both of these points.

OP: KL is not high on my list of SE Asia locales (though I know some like it). Also your itin is a bit rushed. Taking out one destination and allowing another day or two in other places would be less hectic.

Also, since you're admitting to not being beach people, why go to the beach? You can relax up north with less vultures (aka taxi/tuk tuk mafia) and better and cheaper lodging/food.

CrazyInteg Jun 20, 2012 8:31 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 18764894)
Bangkok Air has a USM-KUL route now.

Oh wow. That's cool. I've only ever been to that airport for a connecting flight, so I didn't even know they had international flights.

Hawk Circle Jun 20, 2012 11:07 am

You're trying to do too much in 12 days if one of your goals is not to be exhausted at the end of your trip.

I'd recommend adding time in Bangkok and Siem Reap and a third stop, and do this by eliminating either KUL or Phuket/Ko Samui. I'd cut out KUL.

The idea of swapping Phuket/Koh Samui for a destination such as Chiang Mai -- or Chiang Rai -- also is worthy of serious consideration.

jarusoba Jun 20, 2012 10:38 pm

3 days in REP would be too much. 1 full day should be more than enough! If you're not a beach person like myself, you can take out the Thai islands, but put in a couple more places.

The first time we did this area was to do Bangkok/Luang Prabang/Hanoi/Rangoon/Siem Reap in 10 days. Staying in each city for 2 nights. One full day for sightseeing, one day for travel and rest in each place. We didn't feel rushed. Instead we had a great time because every day was different.

Your itinerary definitely is doable if you know what you're doing. We had tour guides all lined up for us and picked us up at each airport.

olisch Jun 21, 2012 3:29 am

Originally Posted by jarusoba (Post 18793234)
3 days in REP would be too much. 1 full day should be more than enough!

Sorry, but I have to disagree! For just one day you even don't have to think about going to Siam Reap. 3 days should be the minimum, if you want to get a slight impression of the beauty of this location.

Otherwise I'd skip REP for something that suits you more

dsquared37 Jun 21, 2012 3:59 am

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg (Post 18788675)
Oh wow. That's cool. I've only ever been to that airport for a connecting flight, so I didn't even know they had international flights.

USM-SIN, USM-HKG as well. From BKK PG flies internationally to PHN, REP, RGN, LPQ, DAC, BOM (and one other India destination that I can't remember).

Originally Posted by jarusoba (Post 18793234)
3 days in REP would be too much. 1 full day should be more than enough!.

I disagree.

Look, I really dislike the town itself, but 1 day in REP would allow you to see Angkor Wat and Bayon and one other temple and then you'd leave. Meh. There's a 3 day ticket priced at a two single day equivalent. This is your best bet if you like temples. If you don't like temples why go? To say you were there? :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by olisch (Post 18793930)
Sorry, but I have to disagree! For just one day you even don't have to think about going to Siam Reap. 3 days should be the minimum, if you want to get a slight impression of the beauty of this location.

I agree.

jarusoba Jun 21, 2012 5:02 am

I know a lot of you would disagree.

But everybody is entitled to his opinion!

Hiking through the ruins, looking at temples, listening to the history etc would easily fill up the whole day. But that's what I want. After that whole day, I would become temple fatique, as OP put it. Switching over to another place the next day would be fun and exciting.

Right, I don't like temples. But I do want to see them a bit. And I want to say that I've been there.

If the OP really wants to see things in detail, concentrate just in one place for the whole 2 weeks and there is still not enough time!! :rolleyes:

Sample all of them and go back if you like the places. If you don't like a place, at least you wouldn't regret scheduling and wasting 3 full days there.

jarusoba Jun 21, 2012 5:05 am

Originally Posted by olisch (Post 18793930)

Why not? A plane would take you there easily. I would do a day trip if I could. But the schedules didn't allow it.

I didn't regret going for a day but if I had to spend and waste 3 full days of my life in the ruins, I would not be impressed. Now that I've been, I have absolutely no desire to go back there.

CrazyInteg Jun 21, 2012 8:38 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 18793999)
USM-SIN, USM-HKG as well. From BKK PG flies internationally to PHN, REP, RGN, LPQ, DAC, BOM (and one other India destination that I can't remember).

Sorry, I meant to say that I didn't know the Samui airport had international flights.

Regarding Siem Reap and Angkor Wat...In my positive opinion of the place, I would recommend 48 hours minimum.

canesfan Jun 21, 2012 11:28 am

If you go to Koh Samui, definitely redeem your Hilton points and stay at the Conrad. All villas have private infinity pool with views to die for. 50K per night but hotel can be $800 a night plus tax. How many times do you get to stay at a villa with your own private pool on points!

dsquared37 Jun 21, 2012 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg (Post 18795158)
Sorry, I meant to say that I didn't know the Samui airport had international flights.

I know, but aside from mentioning the 3 international routes exUSM I decided to also include the int routes from BKK... even though i missed two: BLR and MLE. :D

dsquared37 Jun 21, 2012 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by jarusoba (Post 18794167)

Right, I don't like temples. But I do want to see them a bit. And I want to say that I've been there.

Oi vey. :rolleyes: