Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Koh Samui resorts--Help telling them apart

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Koh Samui resorts--Help telling them apart

I’ve researched myself to the point of paralysis in choosing a resort on Koh Samui for three nights of our honeymoon in August. Unlike in Bangkok where the top hotels can be had for slightly more than the next tier down, it seems to me that on Koh Samui there is a rather large price differential between the few high-end, exclusive resorts (Four Seasons, Six Senses, Conrad, etc.) and the numerous “almost 5 star” resorts in the $250 per night range, which is where we’re looking to be.

I’m having trouble comparing among them to find the best option and best value. After awhile, they all start to blend together—similar price range, same modern, rather sterile decor of dark wood and sharp lines, similar pictures of pool and beach on the website, same (relatively useless) good ratings on Trip Advisor.

I’m hoping someone has had recent on-the-ground experience and can point me to something extraordinary or unique in this price range. Or at least a resort that offers good value—maybe a suite or pool villa at the same price point as standard rooms at other resorts of similar quality. Given that we’re only on the island for three nights, we’d like to be somewhere with a quality beach. I’ve avoided focusing on Chaweng because for the honeymoon we’d like to be somewhere a little quieter, while still not being a 30 minute drive away from the action. I’ve looked to death at the options on Choengmon and Bophut (e.g., Hansar, Anantara, Tongsai Bay, Karma, etc.) because those areas seem like a good balance of everything we’re looking for, but I would be willing to consider other areas (including Chaweng) if anyone knows of an amazing option.

Any suggestions on amazing options or how to differentiate would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Not been to Samui for a few years but Chaweng is the "entertainment" capitol of Samui so for a Honeymoon I would avoid. My brother stayed at the Anantara in Bohput and really had a great time. Try seeking out kalboz or BangkokLee on here whom know Thailand far better.

Congrats btw
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
ajs317, I am in the process of booking a hotel in Koh Samui, I have been doing research mainly on TripAdvisor and using Agoda as a supplement and with prices. I am looking at the area of Nathon because I am going to be taking an early ferry out to the mainland, the one that has my attention right now is the Sea Valley Hotel & Spa because it has a private pool on most suites and a nice beach. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but am hoping to find one in the next few days.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
For a honeymoon I highly recommend Baan Taling Ngam resort. It is now an Intercontinental property but my wife and I stayed there just over one year ago. It's in a very quiet corner of the island and the food at the resort was amazing. Great spot for a quiet and romantic getaway.

Not sure if it is still available but they do nightly private dinner on the beach for one couple. you have to book this a bit in advance but it is quite special.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.