Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling through Bangkok Airport

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2010, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Travelling through Bangkok Airport

I have just tried to check in from a flight from Perth to London via Bangkok, unfortunately when I was checking in I told them I would like to leave the airport at Bangkok as I have 8hrs to kill, and I was informed I couldn't check in my luggage all the way. I now have to pick up my luggage put it in storage and then re-check in for my flight before the allotted time. Where this should have been a simple meet with a friend it's now going to be a lot of hassle! What is there to stop me as soon as I pick up my luggage re-checking in again? I should still be able to leave the airport, or is it that controlled anyone know?!? What are the rules at Bangkok airport?

On another trip I came via Singapore and was able to leave the airport with my boarding pass and then travel again on my connecting flight, is this a Thailand regulation or was I just lucky the last time?
Old May 26, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
The only difference this time is that you disclosed at checkin that you would like to enter Thailand rather than remain inside the connection lounge. this is what has cause the check in agent to onlyn check you bags to BKK. Had you not disclosed this point to the checkin agent, they would have throuigh checked your bags. In the future keep your mouth shut and all should be fine.

As an aside, make sure you have the relevant travel visa and documentation to clear customs in BKK. I don't know the specifics for your situation, but some countries have visa separate visa requirements for those expected to remain at the airport and those clearing C&I for a short stay. You might require a short term tourist visa for Thailand based upon your country of residence and citizenship. SYD comes to mind as a place where you need an electronic visa to go through C&I, even if only staying for a few hours in Circular Quay.

I wish you safe travels through BKK.
Old May 26, 2010, 9:42 pm

If you are transiting through BKK and clear immigration, you will have to pay the 700B in departure tax because it isn't added to your ticket for a connection. Its hit and miss if they go after you for it though.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by ozcolin
What is there to stop me as soon as I pick up my luggage re-checking in again?
Besides the visa issue someone else mentioned, there are other considerations.

A lot depends on what time you arrive. Places like BKK and SIN have a lot of late (midnightish) arrivals. Once you leave the international zone and collect bags and clear immigration, you're stuck. The check in counter is closed till the morning. You cannot immediately recheck your bags, and you cannot get a BP to reenter the airport. You and your bags are stuck outside for the duration.

You need to check the Thailand forum. BKK has a cash airport departure tax. 700 Bhat. Since you are booked connecting it will not be included in your ticket price, so you will have to pay it to reenter the airport. In other words, leaving for two hours has all the same steps as leaving for two weeks.
Old May 26, 2010, 11:15 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Thailand Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 27, 2010, 1:11 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
did not want to start a new thread I have a similar Q. We will Hopefully be arriving at BKK from SIN at 2220 and departing the next day 0850 to DPS both are TG flights on one ticket. Will we collect luggage and keep overnight or will it be checked through to DPS. I gather we dont require a visa as we are from UK, is this correct when were arriving from a neighbouring country.

many thanks

cal
Old May 27, 2010, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by xcalx
did not want to start a new thread I have a similar Q. We will Hopefully be arriving at BKK from SIN at 2220 and departing the next day 0850 to DPS both are TG flights on one ticket. Will we collect luggage and keep overnight or will it be checked through to DPS. I gather we dont require a visa as we are from UK, is this correct when were arriving from a neighbouring country.
Yes: no visa needed, and your bags will be transferred straight through.
Old May 29, 2010, 2:25 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Yes: no visa needed, and your bags will be transferred straight through.
Thanks. Its good to know I wont have to cart the bags to hotel and back ^
Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Hm, have a 10-hour connection tomorrow and am planning on going into town, but am meeting folks long enough after arrival that I'd like to lounge. Can I hit the lounge (in departures) and then drop back down to arrivals to immigrate into the country? Is there any designated path or would I have to alert staff (and draw attention to myself) with this approach?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by hamburgler
Hm, have a 10-hour connection tomorrow and am planning on going into town, but am meeting folks long enough after arrival that I'd like to lounge. Can I hit the lounge (in departures) and then drop back down to arrivals to immigrate into the country? Is there any designated path or would I have to alert staff (and draw attention to myself) with this approach?
No problem-I've done it before. You'll need onward boarding passes to get through departure security airside, which presumably you'll already have. Arrive, go to departures level one level up (passing through security checks), lounge/shower, go back down one level, go through immigration.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by tide
No problem-I've done it before. You'll need onward boarding passes to get through departure security airside, which presumably you'll already have. Arrive, go to departures level one level up (passing through security checks), lounge/shower, go back down one level, go through immigration.
Can anyone advise if this is still the case at Bangkok airport? Is it 'simple' to exit the airport after clearing security to the departures area?

I would like to clear security and accompany a friend to the lounge before their afternoon flight, then exit to the city and return later for my midnight flight (I can get boarding pass early with online checkin). Will this be possible at Bangkok? Thanks
Old Jun 8, 2012, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by justin1123
Can anyone advise if this is still the case at Bangkok airport? Is it 'simple' to exit the airport after clearing security to the departures area?

I would like to clear security and accompany a friend to the lounge before their afternoon flight, then exit to the city and return later for my midnight flight (I can get boarding pass early with online checkin). Will this be possible at Bangkok? Thanks
Are you transiting or will you be coming in from town, it's hard to discern from your post.

Short answer, if you're transiting: yes. If you're going through immigration/security to then do the same later in the day: no.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Are you transiting or will you be coming in from town, it's hard to discern from your post.

Short answer, if you're transiting: yes. If you're going through immigration/security to then do the same later in the day: no.

I would be coming in from town, enter departures area with boarding pass for later that day, then leave again.

I appreciate there may not be a 'route' for this, but can airline / lounge staff assist to exit back to check-in area (flying RJ with oneworld lounge access)?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by justin1123
I would be coming in from town, enter departures area with boarding pass for later that day, then leave again.

I appreciate there may not be a 'route' for this, but can airline / lounge staff assist to exit back to check-in area (flying RJ with oneworld lounge access)?
Then you're desiring to go through immigration then enter Thailand again and, later that day, leave Thailand once more.

This is not going to be doable.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Then you're desiring to go through immigration then enter Thailand again and, later that day, leave Thailand once more.

This is not going to be doable.

Yes, I would want to pass immigration and leave Thailand to enter the secure area, then re-enter Thailand later that day. If it is possible when transiting to leave the departures zone, why can you not do this if you have entered departures directly?

Is this an airport problem or an immigration problem?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.