Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Help me meet my curry match...

Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:49 am
Original Poster

I was in Thailand about a year ago and visited Bangkok and Phuket. I have the luck of going back this year in late november/early december. I loved the food more than anything else on my last trip but was always given 'farang' spicy despite my begging for the chef to take out his anger on my curry. Oddly enough the spiciest food I ate there was a random indian restaurant on the patong strip.

1. Do any chili heads have suggestions on where to go in Phuket, specifically Karon or Patong? I realize this tourist trap area may not have the best selections.

2. Is there a phrase or secret password that I am not aware of that will let them know I mean business when I mean I want them to make it as spicy as they possibly can? I want them to know that if they make it so spicy that I cannot eat it, I will shake their hand....

I am hoping to print something in the native characters or write myself a note card with an idiot proof phonetic spelling so I dont screw this up agian.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BrianG1986

I am hoping to print something in the native characters or write myself a note card with an idiot proof phonetic spelling so I dont screw this up agian.
Believe it or not, Thailand has an alphabet, not characters.

You could say 'ow ahaan pet pet krap.' When they look at you oddly follow it up with 'gin dai pet pet krap'.

However, even if you have a coherent sentence together I can guarantee you'll butcher the pronounciation and leave the waiter/waitress scratching their head and wondering what the hell that odd farang was talking about.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:36 am

2# Ow ped mak na. ( Make it very spicy ) always polite to end with either 'Ka' or 'Krub'. Ka for females. krap for males.

Make it very spicy please (Ow ped mak na Ka)
I'm female
Old Oct 22, 2011, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most chefs/cooks will use a “Geng Pet” to start off a curry (Geng). They will use a Geng Pet either from their home region or that suits the dish being prepared.

Geng Pet is a paste which is made from a number of ingredients (including but not limited to: chilies, shallots, ginger, lemongrass, garlic, coriander, cumin). There are dozens of varieties of Geng Pet, thousands of regional variations and millions of recipes; a bit like BBQ sauce in the U.S.

Many curry recipes call for ingredients/quantities which will result in a balance of flavors (sweet, bitter, salt, sour, MSG, spicy, etc.) and the resulting spiciness of the curry is limited to the level in the core paste or the amount used.

Stating your preference for extra spicy as advised above is fine, (most Thais understand “spicy”) and the cook can add more chili powder, flakes or raw chilies. And there is usually a spice/condiment tray available which has pepper (white or black ground), dried chili flakes, among other things, which you can add to increase the heat.

I think the hottest “stock” curries might be Penang and Red?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transpac
Most chefs/cooks will use a “Geng Pet” to start off a curry (Geng). They will use a Geng Pet either from their home region or that suits the dish being prepared.

Geng Pet is a paste which is made from a number of ingredients (including but not limited to: chilies, shallots, ginger, lemongrass, garlic, coriander, cumin). There are dozens of varieties of Geng Pet, thousands of regional variations and millions of recipes; a bit like BBQ sauce in the U.S.

Many curry recipes call for ingredients/quantities which will result in a balance of flavors (sweet, bitter, salt, sour, MSG, spicy, etc.) and the resulting spiciness of the curry is limited to the level in the core paste or the amount used.

Stating your preference for extra spicy as advised above is fine, (most Thais understand “spicy”) and the cook can add more chili powder, flakes or raw chilies. And there is usually a spice/condiment tray available which has pepper (white or black ground), dried chili flakes, among other things, which you can add to increase the heat.

I think the hottest “stock” curries might be Penang and Red?
Geng pet is red curry, otherwise you are correct that the curry paste, which is pre-made, is as hot as the ingredients used well before cooking begins. Any additional heat added as chilis/dried crushed chilis will alter the flavor and not necessarily in a good way.

Often the spiciest Thai curry is geng kiow wan, otherwise known as green curry. Penang, which is a southern/Malay style, is also typically spicy.

I'm not sure why there's often a push for extra-spiced up curry. If you want some crazy spicy dishes I'd recommend exploring the myriad yam or salads.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK, Geng Pet is the generic name of the paste. BTW, it is prepared in large batches, and can be stored for months. There is a large selection in the Siam Paragon Supermarket if anyone wants to see what it looks like, or the differing varieties. Some cooks actually have these pastes sent via the mail from their hometowns.

Again, AFAIK, and I'm no expert, Geng Deng would be Red Curry as Deng (Daeng, or si daeng) in the word for the color red; Sala Daeng on the BTS: Red Roof, Din Daeng: Red Earth, etc. Geng (curry) KeeOw (the color green) wan (sweet) would be sweet green curry, which can be spicy or perfectly balanced and sublime.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK, Geng Pet is the generic name of the paste. BTW, it is prepared in large batches, and can be stored for months. There is a large selection in the Siam Paragon Supermarket if anyone wants to see what it looks like, or the differing varieties. Some cooks actually have these pastes sent via the mail from their hometowns.

Again, AFAIK, and I'm no expert, Geng Deng would be Red Curry as Deng (Daeng, or si daeng) in the word for the color red; Sala Daeng on the BTS: Red Roof, Din Daeng: Red Earth, etc. Geng (curry) KeeOw (the color green) wan (sweet) would be sweet green curry, which can be spicy or perfectly balanced and sublime.
There is no such animal as gaeng daeng. Yes, daeng is red, however red curry paste is referred to as gaeng pet. I know it sounds odd, but it happens to be the case. You'll never have gaeng kiow stand alone, it's always gaeng kiow wan. There's also gaeng luang which tends to be a light flavorful sauce-like curry (rather than a soup). These are the most typical of the central Thai curries and green tends to be the hottest variant.

gaeng itself means a type of soup but I have a difficult time understand the difference between gaeng and dtom. The latter literally means boil(ed) and is usually used when dealing with a broth based soup (think dtom yam). However you get into problems when you come upon gaeng jut which is a broth style soup who's literal meaning is 'tasteless soup'.

If someone wants to see a more low key style of curry market I'd recommend Nittaya Curry which has two locations in Phra Nakon near Khao San (AKA dirty hippie road). One is on Chakraphong and the other just off that road on the corner of Thannon Kraisi.

Last edited by dsquared37; Oct 23, 2011 at 1:48 am
Old Oct 23, 2011, 1:18 am

Programs: ROP
You can copy and print out the phrase below.

ขอเผ็ดๆ ค่ะ/ครับ

ค่ะ for female and ครับ for male.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 1:34 am

Actually, the generic name of the paste is phrik gaeng, and if they want to specify the paste, they add the curry name to the paste such as phrik gaeng ped, phrik gaeng kiew waan.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by BrianG1986
I was in Thailand about a year ago and visited Bangkok and Phuket. I have the luck of going back this year in late november/early december. I loved the food more than anything else on my last trip but was always given 'farang' spicy despite my begging for the chef to take out his anger on my curry. Oddly enough the spiciest food I ate there was a random indian restaurant on the patong strip.

1. Do any chili heads have suggestions on where to go in Phuket, specifically Karon or Patong? I realize this tourist trap area may not have the best selections.

2. Is there a phrase or secret password that I am not aware of that will let them know I mean business when I mean I want them to make it as spicy as they possibly can? I want them to know that if they make it so spicy that I cannot eat it, I will shake their hand....

Great post, and one I can relate to very well, though not in the curry sense.

I am addicted to the delicious garlic/chili/basil concoction kraphao, in this link, shown with pork (moo).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kraphao_moo.jpg

It has taken me MANY visits and conversations with my favorite restaurants to convince them I like spicy food and to have it prepared VERY spicy. You can try the advice and phrases listed above, but you might still end up less spicy than you want.

And I agree that without a lot of practice and someone critiquing your pronunciation, you will have the Thai folks scratching their head trying to figure out what you are saying. I have been trying to learn some Thai for awhile, and the pronunciation is a killer for English speakers.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Great post, and one I can relate to very well, though not in the curry sense.

I am addicted to the delicious garlic/chili/basil concoction kraphao, in this link, shown with pork (moo).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kraphao_moo.jpg

It has taken me MANY visits and conversations with my favorite restaurants to convince them I like spicy food and to have it prepared VERY spicy. You can try the advice and phrases listed above, but you might still end up less spicy than you want.

And I agree that without a lot of practice and someone critiquing your pronunciation, you will have the Thai folks scratching their head trying to figure out what you are saying. I have been trying to learn some Thai for awhile, and the pronunciation is a killer for English speakers.
While I can understand the need to convince a local establishment that you really can eat spicy food (to a point, after which I'd cease going there), gra pao is one dish that readily accepts the addition of prik nam plaa, chilis in fish sauce, to achieve your desired heat.

Try getting it with kai dao, a fried egg, on top.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:39 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I think the confusion is in the "Ped' that is phonetically used for more than one meaning, but sounding similar.

Phat Phed would be a southern Thai dish, usually VERY spicy, the kind that creeps up on you afterwards. It's a chocolate brown dish, pasty gravy, very delicious (not a central Thai dish, not Pad Ped, which is red curry, sometimes made with duck meat).

I can describe a place that serves this dish, in Patong, on Phang Muang Sai Kor Rd (the never-quite-finished middle road), near the 3 way intersection Phra Baranmi (road leading to Kathu hill). http://www.patongmap.com/download/patong_3d_map.pdf F5 in this map. A picture of the shopfront may be a better method... if you can wait for it...

For the 'code words': ask for "Saep Saep" (easy to mispronounce) or "Lote Juck' (just as it reads).
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:05 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by dsquared37
While I can understand the need to convince a local establishment that you really can eat spicy food (to a point, after which I'd cease going there), gra pao is one dish that readily accepts the addition of prik nam plaa, chilis in fish sauce, to achieve your desired heat.

My single favorite Thai dish. I have had it prepared insanely spicy (hot) using only large quantities of fresh thinly sliced (lengthwise) red Thai chilis vs dried pepper flakes simply by asking for "Thai spicy". I like the egg too. Gaeng Pa is another favorite of mine.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I think the confusion is in the "Ped' that is phonetically used for more than one meaning, but sounding similar.

Phat Phed would be a southern Thai dish, usually VERY spicy, the kind that creeps up on you afterwards. It's a chocolate brown dish, pasty gravy, very delicious (not a central Thai dish, not Pad Ped, which is red curry, sometimes made with duck meat).
Are you talking about Kua Kling (คั่วกลิ้ง)?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by dsquared37

I have tried adding to the heat by using the condiment chilis, but it imparts a seafood taste that is not to my liking, but thanks for the tip. Now that the staff at several nearby places know me, I do not have any trouble getting the dish with the requisite heat level. I have not tried it with the fried egg but sounds good. I will give it a shot on my next visit.

Originally Posted by braslvr
My single favorite Thai dish. I have had it prepared insanely spicy (hot) using only large quantities of fresh thinly sliced (lengthwise) red Thai chilis vs dried pepper flakes simply by asking for "Thai spicy". I like the egg too. Gaeng Pa is another favorite of mine.
A kindred soul. I much prefer the fresh chilis over the dried for this dish as well.

I have found a small Thai restaurant here in the US that makes a pretty good version, but some of the ingredients do not have the same taste as Thai-local ingredients, especially the basil. Close enough to satisfy my occasional cravings until I can get back to the real deal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.